My modified tailgate spoiler to suit a bike carrier

J3AAY

T6 Pro
I have a Caravelle Exec which I upgraded to from a sportline styled T5.1 Kombi. I love the new bus but as I have the seats I can’t have bikes inboard...therefore use the OEM 4 bike rack.

I’m not a fan of the tailgate without a spoiler - it’s a little boxy in my opinion. I wanted a spoiler but couldn’t find any that would keep the ability to use the cycle rack.Well there is the ABT but it’s a bit ‘Max Power’ for my ‘Velle Exec.

So I set about chopping up a Travelin’ Lite ABS spoiler. It’s taken a lot of time with a dremel but I’m almost there! It also, in my opinion, looks pretty damn good with the rack on or off.

I only had blue plastic (a storage box which had my wife’s old shoes in it!) but it will be fine once they are Sika Flex’d in and smoothed ready for primer and paint.

I cannot wait to get it all finished and fitted!

8AF63DEC-FA3B-4486-8A88-BEB15822FB94.jpeg

28319900-E0BE-4FA7-80C5-4148B51AD6F3.jpeg

12E66A3C-1459-40CC-8AC6-1E2EC1EDD18F.jpeg

5F98761F-45A2-45D9-A4CA-85BE25FC02B7.jpeg

You have done a very tidy job of that! By the way, is your real name Jürgen Klopp? Our Liverpool super hero your reflection gave you away!:mexican wave:

You have done a very tidy job of that! By the way, is your real name Jürgen Klopp? Our Liverpool super hero your reflection gave you away!:mexican wave:
Ha ha, sadly not Jürgen, if I was I’d have had a body shop do all the faffing with this spoiler!

I’m happy with it, I’m no professional panel beater by any means so I’m super happy it’s looking as good as it does.

All done with a metal cutting disk on the dremel, hack saw, modelling knife and normal metal work files. Oh and scissors to chop up Mrs J3AAY’s old shoe store box! Ha ha. Just need the SikaFlex to glue the blue bits in then off to the body shop for a pro prep and paint (maybe fit too, just because I don’t want to fall at the last hurdle!)

Even though not Jürgen Klopp, you have still done an Excellent job. I think you should strut your stuff with that! Well done. When you get the rack on post again.

Now about this team selection...:rofl:

Just a thought, but have you driven it at 70 down the motorway yet. It may buzz.
I admire your efforts as it does look a tidy job, but for me the vans look cleaner without. (I’m not quite off the fence yet though)
:thumbsup:

I’ve not driven it yet- it’s off for paint. I can’t see an issue as it’s all sealed up inside now and smoothed. There are the little ‘tunnels’ but I don’t expect they’ll whistle. I’ll let you know!

@.50

I don’t really like the boxy Look if the back end, but needed the bike rack - as I’ve moved from a practical Kombi to an impractical Caravelle .

Hopefully, if it works out I’ll have the best of both without too much of a compromise on looks.

If it does not work then mount a Roof Bar at the back mounting on the roof and place one of those aerofoil wings that are used to streamline the air for towing caravans and make a huge Wale Tail, like those once seen on Porsche 911s. It will give down force and P off the local posers. :laugh: Or perhaps something like that could be attached direct to the Bike Carrier. Then you could hide from the rain underneath it.

If it does not work then mount a Roof Bar at the back mounting on the roof and place one of those aerofoil wings that are used to streamline the air for towing caravans and make a huge Wale Tail, like those once seen on Porsche 911s. It will give down force and P off the local posers. :laugh: Or perhaps something like that could be attached direct to the Bike Carrier. Then you could hide from the rain underneath it.
Ha ha, I’ve seen some horrible Japanese abominations like that!

I have a Caravelle Exec which I upgraded to from a sportline styled T5.1 Kombi. I love the new bus but as I have the seats I can’t have bikes inboard...therefore use the OEM 4 bike rack.

I’m not a fan of the tailgate without a spoiler - it’s a little boxy in my opinion. I wanted a spoiler but couldn’t find any that would keep the ability to use the cycle rack.Well there is the ABT but it’s a bit ‘Max Power’ for my ‘Velle Exec.

So I set about chopping up a Travelin’ Lite ABS spoiler. It’s taken a lot of time with a dremel but I’m almost there! It also, in my opinion, looks pretty damn good with the rack on or off.

I only had blue plastic (a storage box which had my wife’s old shoes in it!) but it will be fine once they are Sika Flex’d in and smoothed ready for primer and paint.

I cannot wait to get it all finished and fitted!

View attachment 91707

View attachment 91708

View attachment 91709

View attachment 91710
Fiddly work, did you not consider a tow bar carrier???

You have did a good job there , I have saw someone on YouTube do it to a T5 and it worked a treat , only thing I would say is the OEM rack must go on a bit different to the fimma rack that I have as when I mounted mine to the top of the tailgate the instructions tell you to slide the brackets over top of tailgate about a couple of inches away from the hinges and then slide them over to correct position and you can fell it tightn up as you do this so it's possibly the way it's designed to be mounted , hopefully someone has the fimma also and has mibi tried just mounting it like OEM as am sure there will be more out there wanting a bike rack and a spoiler

It’s on and it works! Rack can be fitted and removed with it in place so it was a success.

Paint shop painted and bonded it on. I added a bead of Tiger Seal along the back edge as I didn’t like the sound of a little gap being there - wind noise etc.

I’m very pleased with it for a mostly DIY effort.

Cheers,

E562070A-A72A-436B-9445-EE55A7C4E562.jpeg

DA4F009E-A746-4545-97CA-6D1ED231E207.jpeg

4B89FFBE-C956-4341-9B5B-6C44E1499704.jpeg

E0091BFD-287A-437A-A8FC-B59F6FCF8D25.jpeg

4E7F3935-1CCA-4527-808D-4A684BC0E0E0.jpeg

It’s on and it works! Rack can be fitted and removed with it in place so it was a success.

Paint shop painted and bonded it on. I added a bead of Tiger Seal along the back edge as I didn’t like the sound of a little gap being there - wind noise etc.

I’m very pleased with it for a mostly DIY effort.

Cheers,

View attachment 93026

View attachment 93027

View attachment 93028

View attachment 93029

View attachment 93030
Absolutely fantastic Job. Very well done. Looks OEM!:mexican wave::mexican wave:

Reactions: JOG
Back