Multi-storey car parks

Rob

VIP Member
T6 Guru
how many of you are brave enough to use them?

I have to take my girls every Saturday to their gymnastics classes which is situated in a building located on the top floor of a multi story car park. The size limit says 6ft 8 and I believe the van is around 6ft 2 but to put if frank don't have the balls to try it and opt for taking the car every week which got me thinking what other people do.

Van is too low most of the time and I scrape the front lip on the t5.

Saying that I just squeezed under the car gate check section of the channel tunnel, small paint transfer on the roof.

Not in my T6 but I have done on occasion in my previous transporters. A bit nerve wracking to start with but no problem.

Reactions: Rob
I park mine underground where I live every night, and always get gasps from passengers as the roof gets lower on the lower floors! But this van is actually a couple of inches lower than the old one and so I know exactly what I can get away with and have never had any issues in any carpark that states 2m or above on the height restriction.

Had the scariest drive on my recent French trip...... Heading north around Outskirts of Paris following SatNav on the A86. It suddenly turned into a 2 meter height restriction to go through a tunnel that must have been about 20km in length. I'd measured the van before I set off at about 197cm (including poptop) so knew it would be close!! I crawled under the barrier at snails pace with my hazards flashing and queuing traffic beeping and going mental behind me!!! Having made it through the barrier without catching I was then committed to the tunnel. Had neck ache from constantly ducking and was sh1tting myself the whole way through.... Made it through without a scratch but it must have been bloody close..... Had a lot of looks from people as they overtook me inside the tunnel.

Hey guys (& gals),

The multi-story that I get free parking in town (Market Hall Car Park - Preston) says max height 6ft 6" or 2m (last time I checked 6ft 6" was 1.98m) so hence why I'm very cautious.

I have the T32 150 SWB kombi with the VW 30mm drop springs fitted, the brochure says overall height is 1990mm but ± 50mm depending on spec. Have the standard 17" Devonport alloys.

So I should be at about 1.96m right? Anyone able to shed any light on this? Petrified of scratching the roof of my new van haha

Thanks very much

You should be fine, but I would definitely take a passenger who can get out and check for your first attempt!

You should be fine, but I would definitely take a passenger who can get out and check for your first attempt!

Thanks! That is definitely the plan but was just thinking about it now so thought I'd see if anyone had any experience with it themselves.

I get nervous about anything less than 2.1 metres but my van isn't lowered and has a popup roof!

Actually this reminds me last year we ended up in a tunnel in France with a 2m limit!! Travelling at motorway speeds too. Quite scary. Lots of pipes and ducts were sticking out of the roof too

Be careful and consider the ramp angles and the fact you will 'bridge' slightly with the length as you start up the slope.

Be careful and consider the ramp angles and the fact you will 'bridge' slightly with the length as you start up the slope.
Totally agree, before I placed my order I had the dealer drive a van to my spec into my car park at work to check the clearance , up three levels and down again. It was tight but fitted, though the salesman was a worried man as we had 2cm clearance!

I've had my phone out of the window before now backwards videoing across the top of the roof as I went under the car park height barrier. One way to embarrass the kids in public !

Hey guys (& gals),

The multi-story that I get free parking in town (Market Hall Car Park - Preston) says max height 6ft 6" or 2m (last time I checked 6ft 6" was 1.98m) so hence why I'm very cautious.

I have the T32 150 SWB kombi with the VW 30mm drop springs fitted, the brochure says overall height is 1990mm but ± 50mm depending on spec. Have the standard 17" Devonport alloys.

So I should be at about 1.96m right? Anyone able to shed any light on this? Petrified of scratching the roof of my new van haha

Thanks very much
This is why I had to buy an old polo to use as a daily! Got moved into multi storey at work and no way I would have fitted!

Back