Multi-storey car parks

Hi Buggirl, why not do a trial run late one evening (with not many people about)?

My only advice would be, get out & have a look if you are not sure, might get a toot on the horn from some wally, better than a scratch.

This is one of the reasons i want to lower. I've no idea what height she'll come back from the converters once pop-top and roof rails are on, but one of my first jobs it to get the tape measure out. Couple of my regular parks (when in car) are 1.9om so I'll be kissing those goodbye for starters.

I have had my T6 for about 3 weeks now and I loaded it up with a garage full of rubbish and set off to the dump, then saw the 2M barrier.... so I did what every bloke does, drove slowly like that would help... I didn't hear any scraping so all was good. I got home and checked the roof and it was fine. So now I know I can just about fit under a 2m barrier, great for those seaside trips where they stop motor-homes and caravans getting into.

hey g4jsg,

Just be careful thinking that, just because the barrier is there, it doesn't mean that it is set at 2 mtr.

When i was shopfitting, we spent every day driving in our vans to work in shopping centres, we were always close and while the sign would say 2 meters or what ever it was signed, it would be often set a little higher to reduce complaints. (also long as the signage and sprinkler systems were safe)

But some places, not all, do set the the height spot on, those are the ones to be worried about.

You're best of measuring from the highest point unloaded, I've been caught out before in shopping centres after dropping of cabinets and the rear of the van sits up a little higher on the way out.

But that wasn't an issue for me as it was a company van :whistle:

As long as you weren't knocking off sprinkler heads it was all good.

Read a post the other day where a user had been happily using the same carpark and just got under the barrier for years until one day heard a small scrape on the roof....

...turned out they had resurfaced the entrance the previous week!! :)

Useful thread with lots of useful tips, thanks all.

By way of repayment and for the info of others, I measured my fully converted T28 highline (with poptop and 20" wheels oh and dear old Sock Monkey)..

It measures 2m 03cm :eek:

Last edited:
so after having van lowered and still being allowed to park on the non multi-storey since, I have not attempted the dreaded multi-storey at work, but told yesterday that I have to from Monday! Squeaky bum time! Going to have to measure the van this week. It's a 2metre hieght limit and I am still nervous as the roof really dips in places and the ramps are steep and narrow! Hardly any turning circle, but I have seen a T5.1 and T4 in there on floors other than ground floor. I will let you know how I get on lol!
I went through a 2.1 meter car park in non-lowered van yesterday... felt so worried that I’m not going to bother again!

87D19E87-0C8C-428E-8084-83D0FF1A5439.jpeg

Back