newbie - decisions and research questions - advice gratefully accepted

iancalderbank

Hi all

I currently have an Audi Q7 3.0L/air suspension/ 4WD, and a twin axle caravan. Over the last two years we have also bought an electric car and this is used as the daily drive all the time. The q7 is now only used when a) pulling the caravan b) need to move more than 5 people (usually 6) c) need to move something big (ikea flatpacks, wardrobes, etc) d) towing something else (scouts trailer usually).
we do a lot of active sports (mountain biking, windsurfing, surfing, orienteering ). the kids are 2x large teenagers who only just fit in the twin axle caravan's bunks and will need to be evicted to a tent or similar quite soon. however, we don't want to move to full campervanning as that would not suit our typical long holidays (frankly we like the luxury of a caravan for those ), but I would like to have a camper-capable vehicle for those shorter active break trips , where we'd currently not bother with the hassle of taking the caravan, we'd either do a long stretch there and back in a day, or overnight in a b+b etc, or perhaps not go. Hope that makes sense by way of context.
so first and foremost I'm looking for a spec that is a really good tow vehicle with a decent size caravan and able to do long haul miles in comfort with 4 adult-sized people. The caravan will likely be downsized from the current 1800kg twin-axle to a 1500kg-ish single. . So to the questions -

I see a lot of discussion of aftermarket air suspension setups for Transporters. how good are these? I have factory air suspension on my Q7 and its frankly superb for towing stability. I have towed with a FWD estate car (Audi A6) on standard suspension before the Q7, and I would not go back to that. Towing ride quality is my main concern, with second being self-levelling for sleeping, and then "as low as you safely can" just for squeezing under car park barriers not for style reasons, I'm too old for that ;-)

Towbar Noseweights / rear axle weights / tailgate weights, with 4x mountain bikes. I currently tow-and-carry using a Maxraxx, which hangs the bikes from the towbar over the caravan A-frame, fully safe for towing. current car has 140kg noseweight capacity (this is increased by the air suspension) so this is plenty enough for 4x bikes and a caravan on the towbar. Is there anyone on here who tow-and-carries with bikes on the typical transporter tailgate 4x bike rack ? is it high enough to clear a tow hitch? what are the weight limits through the tailgate?
or anyone use a maxxraxx ? are there any high noseweight variants for the Transporter?
I am fully aware of the options to put the bike inside the Transporter (possible for 1, not for 4), or on the roof (no, full of windsurfers) or on the caravan rear (only certain makes and not very stable) or a-frame (again restricted to certain caravan makes) I do wish to maintain them being on the rear of the vehicle as that best suits "days out with bikes".

Layout-wise we are not after a full camper - just a minimal conversion that will enable sleeping of 2 people who are not a couple (e.g. father and son, so not wanting to snuggle on a 110 wide bed!) But travel 4 in comfort, somewhere to hide a porta potty, and a basic removable kitchen. With maximal rear space for lots of outdoor gear.
my current thinking the 2nd row being 1+1+1 and all removable and on sliders and the front row 2+1 both captains reversible. Bed at the back being a "flatoutcamperbed" double sided type across the full width, that can be either a single, two singles or a double, and leave loads of room in the middle for outdoor gear when folded. some form of removable side kitchen pod with outer 1 of the 2nd row seats removed to make room for this when being used. Does this all make sense?
in particular its not clear to me as a newb, should I look for one that has the rear seats on rails already, or is this not necessary?
which variants would best suit this intended layout? Automatic is mandatory , 4WD as near as makes no difference, and coming from 270PS, the more grunt the better.

any help appreciated and sorry for the massive pile of questions!
Ian

Hi @iancalderbank regarding air suspension, we have VB Air for the very reasons you give; self levelling and lowering for barriers and also for our garage. We think it’s great and very worthwhile for us. I can’t comment on comparison with OEM springs or towing suitability.

Hi

We used to have a FWD A6 avant, then went onto a 2017 A6 Allroad 3.0ltr V6 272 to tow our single axle 1600kg elddis.
To be honest has you have said the air suspension is amazing, even fully loaded with awning in the roof box and full of passengers etc.

We moved from that to our current 2017 T6 204dsg.
And with it being t32 the extra weight makes Towing experience just as good if not better than the allroad. Also a lot easier to pack up and load up (no roof box anymore)

I do find the 204dsg powerful enough but does miss the extra power and torque of the V6 sometimes and the box isn’t as smooth as the Audi.
Also fuel economy is shocking compared to the Audi (but you are punching the air with a fridge on its side!

That said we wouldn’t go back to a car, ours is a kombi with two single seats. We will in the future look to convert our van.

The only thing that really is hard to adjust to is the ride when not towing! It is so bad! Worse than my work 4motion t5.1. We will be addressing this soon courtesy of @CRS Performance with some new wheels.

Good luck

For 1+ 1 a pop-top is an ideal solution- plenty of personal space upstairs and down.

Hi

We used to have a FWD A6 avant, then went onto a 2017 A6 Allroad 3.0ltr V6 272 to tow our single axle 1600kg elddis.
To be honest has you have said the air suspension is amazing, even fully loaded with awning in the roof box and full of passengers etc.

We moved from that to our current 2017 T6 204dsg.
And with it being t32 the extra weight makes Towing experience just as good if not better than the allroad. Also a lot easier to pack up and load up (no roof box anymore)

I do find the 204dsg powerful enough but does miss the extra power and torque of the V6 sometimes and the box isn’t as smooth as the Audi.
Also fuel economy is shocking compared to the Audi (but you are punching the air with a fridge on its side!

That said we wouldn’t go back to a car, ours is a kombi with two single seats. We will in the future look to convert our van.

The only thing that really is hard to adjust to is the ride when not towing! It is so bad! Worse than my work 4motion t5.1. We will be addressing this soon courtesy of @CRS Performance with some new wheels.

Good luck
many thanks, seems like a very similar vehicle progression. Towing a massive van with the Q7 (and bikes and surfboards) I get 20-21mpg so I assume similar-ish? yes I can out-accelerate many small cars whilst towing, the grunt is astounding. will have to be prepared to lose that. I'm not bothered too much by non-towing mpg, I mitigate that by using an EV most of the time.

I wasn't quite clear what you meant about the air suspension - do you have it on your T6 and you're getting a hard ride? or was it that you had air on your A6 allroad and the T6 on standard springs isn't so good?

do you have a bike rack as well, don't think I can see one in your pics? interested in towing clearances and weights.

interestingly your caravan looks a lot like the one we use to have, an elddis supreme 576 ? before the boys outgrew the bunks and we moved up to the Segovia!

Yes elddis supreme 576 (seems quite a rare van this days) the bunks still work for us as little one is only 5.

Yes sorry to clarify we are on standard suspension on the T6 and the allroad had air.

I will be looking to go for koni shocks and a slight lowering fitted by @CRS Performance this will help with everyday ride and make towing even better

Currently no bike rack as one plus little ones fit in the back of the T6.

Next caravan maybe time to fit one to the rear of that if needed.
It’s the canoe/kayak we need to solve next, these will be going on top of the T6.

How did you find the elddis? We have had it 3 years now and had a few niggles skylight and front locker mainly.
But find the layout works really well for us as the second bunk gives great storage and with the awning lots of usable space

Mpg is yes around the 21-24 mark. The allroad we could get closer to 30 plus on good stretches.

Any sites you can recommend let me know

We have a LWB full camper conversion.
Base van is a LWB/204psDSG 4mot. We tow/launch/recover a 5.5m RIB (boat) that comes in at 1900kg all up. We have a VW tailgate bike rack that normally carries 2 adult bikes. The tailgate will open with the boat hitched on, but I have to drop the jockey wheel. We get mid to high 20’s mpg when towing.
The van has VB air suspension which is excellent for towing & self levelling.
HTH

For 1+ 1 a pop-top is an ideal solution- plenty of personal space upstairs and down.
thanks yes, I had considered that, and it could be an option for future, but I would prefer to not go that far towards camper conversion on day 1 if can avoid.
Yes elddis supreme 576 (seems quite a rare van this days) the bunks still work for us as little one is only 5.

Yes sorry to clarify we are on standard suspension on the T6 and the allroad had air.

I will be looking to go for koni shocks and a slight lowering fitted by @CRS Performance this will help with everyday ride and make towing even better

Currently no bike rack as one plus little ones fit in the back of the T6.

Next caravan maybe time to fit one to the rear of that if needed.
It’s the canoe/kayak we need to solve next, these will be going on top of the T6.

How did you find the elddis? We have had it 3 years now and had a few niggles skylight and front locker mainly.
But find the layout works really well for us as the second bunk gives great storage and with the awning lots of usable space

Mpg is yes around the 21-24 mark. The allroad we could get closer to 30 plus on good stretches.

Any sites you can recommend let me know
the 576 caravan was great when they were small to medium. we started caravaning with them at ages 5 and 8. no complaints. we just needed bigger bunks when the eldest got to around 13. he is now 17 and reaching the end of the segovia's one . if you bought the 576 2nd hand about 3 years ago it might have been mine! As you say they are rare. p.m. me for van and site discussions if you want perhaps not for this thread :) . some put bike racks on back of caravans but I've always wanted to avoid that - pendulum effect, no use when you're traveling without caravan, only some caravan makes. plus it makes your outfit another 0.5m longer. I bought an inflatable canoe (Shipwreck Arrowstream) last year - its great. That can go in the car boot or in the caravan, then the non-bendy gear (windsurfing) goes up top.

Base van is a LWB/204psDSG 4mot. We tow/launch/recover a 5.5m RIB (boat) that comes in at 1900kg all up. We have a VW tailgate bike rack that normally carries 2 adult bikes. The tailgate will open with the boat hitched on, but I have to drop the jockey wheel. We get mid to high 20’s mpg when towing.
HTH
thanks thats brilliant and very helpful. LWB/204/DSG/4mot is where I was thinking as well. And a substantial boat is not out of the question for us to move either just far enough down the list not to have gone in the OP. I'm not too fussed about being able to open the tailgate with bikes on whilst hitched (surprised there is enough grunt in the struts?) just so long as no fouling of hitch / jockey wheel by rack whilst on the road will do me. Does the VB air make any difference to tow weight capacity? I'm more concerned about noseweight and axleweight than gross train weight. I'm guessing your boat has a fairly hefty noseweight.

HTH
Who fitted the air suspension for you? Did it change the everyday ride dramatically? I’d not really thought of Air as a option to upgrading the suspension.

Hi all

I currently have an Audi Q7 3.0L/air suspension/ 4WD, and a twin axle caravan. Over the last two years we have also bought an electric car and this is used as the daily drive all the time. The q7 is now only used when a) pulling the caravan b) need to move more than 5 people (usually 6) c) need to move something big (ikea flatpacks, wardrobes, etc) d) towing something else (scouts trailer usually).
we do a lot of active sports (mountain biking, windsurfing, surfing, orienteering ). the kids are 2x large teenagers who only just fit in the twin axle caravan's bunks and will need to be evicted to a tent or similar quite soon. however, we don't want to move to full campervanning as that would not suit our typical long holidays (frankly we like the luxury of a caravan for those ), but I would like to have a camper-capable vehicle for those shorter active break trips , where we'd currently not bother with the hassle of taking the caravan, we'd either do a long stretch there and back in a day, or overnight in a b+b etc, or perhaps not go. Hope that makes sense by way of context.
so first and foremost I'm looking for a spec that is a really good tow vehicle with a decent size caravan and able to do long haul miles in comfort with 4 adult-sized people. The caravan will likely be downsized from the current 1800kg twin-axle to a 1500kg-ish single. . So to the questions -

I see a lot of discussion of aftermarket air suspension setups for Transporters. how good are these? I have factory air suspension on my Q7 and its frankly superb for towing stability. I have towed with a FWD estate car (Audi A6) on standard suspension before the Q7, and I would not go back to that. Towing ride quality is my main concern, with second being self-levelling for sleeping, and then "as low as you safely can" just for squeezing under car park barriers not for style reasons, I'm too old for that ;-)

Towbar Noseweights / rear axle weights / tailgate weights, with 4x mountain bikes. I currently tow-and-carry using a Maxraxx, which hangs the bikes from the towbar over the caravan A-frame, fully safe for towing. current car has 140kg noseweight capacity (this is increased by the air suspension) so this is plenty enough for 4x bikes and a caravan on the towbar. Is there anyone on here who tow-and-carries with bikes on the typical transporter tailgate 4x bike rack ? is it high enough to clear a tow hitch? what are the weight limits through the tailgate?
or anyone use a maxxraxx ? are there any high noseweight variants for the Transporter?
I am fully aware of the options to put the bike inside the Transporter (possible for 1, not for 4), or on the roof (no, full of windsurfers) or on the caravan rear (only certain makes and not very stable) or a-frame (again restricted to certain caravan makes) I do wish to maintain them being on the rear of the vehicle as that best suits "days out with bikes".

Layout-wise we are not after a full camper - just a minimal conversion that will enable sleeping of 2 people who are not a couple (e.g. father and son, so not wanting to snuggle on a 110 wide bed!) But travel 4 in comfort, somewhere to hide a porta potty, and a basic removable kitchen. With maximal rear space for lots of outdoor gear.
my current thinking the 2nd row being 1+1+1 and all removable and on sliders and the front row 2+1 both captains reversible. Bed at the back being a "flatoutcamperbed" double sided type across the full width, that can be either a single, two singles or a double, and leave loads of room in the middle for outdoor gear when folded. some form of removable side kitchen pod with outer 1 of the 2nd row seats removed to make room for this when being used. Does this all make sense?
in particular its not clear to me as a newb, should I look for one that has the rear seats on rails already, or is this not necessary?
which variants would best suit this intended layout? Automatic is mandatory , 4WD as near as makes no difference, and coming from 270PS, the more grunt the better.

any help appreciated and sorry for the massive pile of questions!
Ian
Hi,
Have you thought of a LWB option? I run a 2l T32 LWB with one set or rear seats. There is still room for our 2 leccy bikes upright along one side between the rear seats and the back doors.. You could have more bikes & room for luggage, all secure inside the van. Towing should be no problem, but I will admit that unladen the standard suspension gives quite a firm ride.

Good luck

Who fitted the air suspension for you? Did it change the everyday ride dramatically? I’d not really thought of Air as an option to upgrading the suspension.
The VB was fitted by Dirty Weekender in Worcester. It’s a VW approved OEM system aimed squarely at the camper/commercial market. It’s not “Bling” and doesn’t do fancy tricks, the ride is firm with little or no wallowing. It has 4 basic settings, normal, sport (30mm drop) off-road (50mm lift) and car park (50mm drop). The self levelling works really well within the limits of the travel.
I have a 30mm lift kit on mine which raises the standard height by 30mm.

The VB was fitted by Dirty Weekender in Worcester. It’s a VW approved OEM system aimed squarely at the camper/commercial market. It’s not “Bling” and doesn’t do fancy tricks, the ride is firm with little or no wallowing. It has 4 basic settings, normal, sport (30mm drop) off-road (50mm lift) and car park (50mm drop). The self levelling works really well within the limits of the travel.
I have a 30mm lift kit on mine which raises the standard height by 30mm.
Sounds perfect

thanks yes, I had considered that, and it could be an option for future, but I would prefer to not go that far towards camper conversion on day 1 if can avoid.

the 576 caravan was great when they were small to medium. we started caravaning with them at ages 5 and 8. no complaints. we just needed bigger bunks when the eldest got to around 13. he is now 17 and reaching the end of the segovia's one . if you bought the 576 2nd hand about 3 years ago it might have been mine! As you say they are rare. p.m. me for van and site discussions if you want perhaps not for this thread :) . some put bike racks on back of caravans but I've always wanted to avoid that - pendulum effect, no use when you're traveling without caravan, only some caravan makes. plus it makes your outfit another 0.5m longer. I bought an inflatable canoe (Shipwreck Arrowstream) last year - its great. That can go in the car boot or in the caravan, then the non-bendy gear (windsurfing) goes up top.

thanks thats brilliant and very helpful. LWB/204/DSG/4mot is where I was thinking as well. And a substantial boat is not out of the question for us to move either just far enough down the list not to have gone in the OP. I'm not too fussed about being able to open the tailgate with bikes on whilst hitched (surprised there is enough grunt in the struts?) just so long as no fouling of hitch / jockey wheel by rack whilst on the road will do me. Does the VB air make any difference to tow weight capacity? I'm more concerned about noseweight and axleweight than gross train weight. I'm guessing your boat has a fairly hefty noseweight.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. We don’t lift the tailgate with the bikes on, but the tailgate will open without the bikes if I drop the jockey wheel when the boat is hitched on.
The nose weight is around 50kg with the boat. I don’t notice it at all. We used to have a Disco4 for towing (finest tow bus ever made imho) & I was worried that the T6 wouldn’t cope with the boat. I needn’t have worried, it’s no D4, but still takes everything in its stride.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. We don’t lift the tailgate with the bikes on, but the tailgate will open without the bikes if I drop the jockey wheel when the boat is hitched on.
The nose weight is around 50kg with the boat. I don’t notice it at all. We used to have a Disco4 for towing (finest tow bus ever made imho) & I was worried that the T6 wouldn’t cope with the boat. I needn’t have worried, it’s no D4, but still takes everything in its stride.
brill thanks. so just double checking if the bikes on the rack, does it still clear the hitch and jockey? if it was 4 bike any difference?
glad to hear the T6 with Air is competent enough tower for a an ex-Disco driver. Coming from a Q7 I'd want the same.
why did you go up by 30mm - more offroad? so you've got car park at -20, normal at +30, sport at 0, offroad at 80mm?
Hi,
Have you thought of a LWB option? I run a 2l T32 LWB with one set or rear seats. There is still room for our 2 leccy bikes upright along one side between the rear seats and the back doors.. You could have more bikes & room for luggage, all secure inside the van. Towing should be no problem, but I will admit that unladen the standard suspension gives quite a firm ride.
likely to go LWB yes, as you say gives the option of bikes inside. or more inflatable canoes, sups, caravan awnings, etc.....thats one of the reason I like the look of the flatoutbeds.
what do you mean by "one set of rear seats"? as I am yet to get to grips with which versions have 2+1 in rear, which have 1+1+1, which have any sliding capability, which are removable to swap for a kitchen pod, and which (if any?) can take a 3rd row to be in "minibus mode" which isn't a must have at all but would be nice to know if possible.

Not sure about the towing capability but have you had a look at the California Beach Camper and Beach Tour? Could be options for you without the conversion faff.

Not sure about the towing capability but have you had a look at the California Beach Camper and Beach Tour? Could be options for you without the conversion faff.
yes looked at those but I want LWB and don't want a permanent kitchen and a pop-top is only a "maybe future".
I think the towing questions are answered, I need to go LWB/DSG/204/4motion, with air suspension.
layout wise I think I want
  • 2+1 or 1+1 front (not made mind up)
  • 1+1+1 2nd row for non-camping : carry 5 or 6 people mode. sliding doors both sides.
  • removable kitchen pod to go into the space of 1x 2nd row outer seat (which must be removable) for short trip camping mode.
  • rear fold down bed such as flatout "bothsides" for 1,2 or 1+1 sleeping.
keen for the bed not to be the seat and the seat not to be the bed otherwise the flexibility of how it can be used goes down.

Then the "remove stuff" options
  • (re)move all 2nd row for "more stuff mode" or travel + camping with only as many people as fit the front seats.
  • remove bed for more rear space in van mode (although they look pretty good space saving design)
is there a base vehicle with a seating config of 1+1+1 individually removable (and ideally on slides) in 2nd row ? or is it better to ignore the rear seating config (e.g. take cheapest which I assume is 3 person bench?) and just have that part done by a converter?

does anyone have a recommendation for a 3d planning tool that already has the right size vehicle and components? ideally free or very low cost as I'm not designing for "van-life" just want to visualise the key aspects.

I got this one to play with. It comes with VW transporter templates and furniture templates. It can give you a visualisation of layout. It’s not a full featured CAD design, so don’t expect to drop the output to a CNC and get a full kit! I used it more for planning an imaginary Crafter conversion, and for my T6.1 to see if I could fit in bike and bed.

It’s not free, but it is cheap. There are probably better ones out there.

Back