Multi-storey car parks

Hey guys (& gals),

The multi-story that I get free parking in town (Market Hall Car Park - Preston) says max height 6ft 6" or 2m (last time I checked 6ft 6" was 1.98m) so hence why I'm very cautious.

I have the T32 150 SWB kombi with the VW 30mm drop springs fitted, the brochure says overall height is 1990mm but ± 50mm depending on spec. Have the standard 17" Devonport alloys.

So I should be at about 1.96m right? Anyone able to shed any light on this? Petrified of scratching the roof of my new van haha

Thanks very much
I live in preston and regularly use his car park. I am running 50 mm eibachs. You should be fine .

I believe there are actually 2 tunnels, one on top of another, hence the name duplex. I think one of them is for trucks so will be more than 2m, but none of this was obvious to us at the time!

so after having van lowered and still being allowed to park on the non multi-storey since, I have not attempted the dreaded multi-storey at work, but told yesterday that I have to from Monday! Squeaky bum time! Going to have to measure the van this week. It's a 2metre hieght limit and I am still nervous as the roof really dips in places and the ramps are steep and narrow! Hardly any turning circle, but I have seen a T5.1 and T4 in there on floors other than ground floor. I will let you know how I get on lol!

In my old T5 I made a little sticker that I wrote the height and length of the van on for this very reason, kept it stuck to the sun visor so you couldn't see it. Then when you see a car park limit you can just have a quick look to see if the van will fit. Look on Google images for a van outline picture.

Iv parked In several multi-storey car parks never had any probs. I just find there the worst place for kirbing Alloys :(

Just be careful going onto the up ramps, (depending on how close the ramp is to the floor) as your front wheels will start raising the van higher than 2m until you rear wheels reach the ramp.
Hopefully they have designed it correctly :)

I park in a multi storey quite often and was very nervous first time as it's a 2m limit and I'd measured my van at 1.98 after lowering. It fitted in with no probs but I've since been told by the parking attendant that it actually has 2.12m clearance so hopefully they'll have a bit of a safety margin at yours too.

Watch out for ceiling mounted lights and exit signs.
I was in an underground car park in France in the summer with a 1.9m height limit (yes it was close) and I nearly took out a large ceiling mounted "sortie" sign that was hanging down from the ceiling and clearly lower than the height limit.

For me it's as much about the width of the bays, I can't stand those narrow slots that mean you have to park too close for comfort to the adjacent motor. Or you park with nothing around you and some Richard parks so close that you have to use the passenger door. Then careless and selfish people bang their doors into the side of yours. I always look first for a car park with no bays then aim for a corner and add a bit of an angle to my parking. I get a few looks but it keeps the dents down.

Here's a classic example of what happens when you find a nice end space in a multi storey.
Because you park as far over as possible, the driver next to you parks further over aswell.
This picture was taken on a visit to hospital. I drove straight to the top floor,( the emptiest ), and parked furthest away from the lifts. What was funny was that all four corner spaces had nice cars parked in them right over on the yellow line aswell.20170925_112221.jpg

Picture highlights the problem of car park spaces being too narrow for the average cars (and vans!) of today.

I have a theory that, particularly on short stay car parks, if they take a few spaces out to make the remaining spaces wider and parking easier, whilst you loose a bit of capacity, the easier parking would make it quicker for people to access/egress the remaining bays and, together with people like us not driving round and round to find a safe space, would balance out the reduced capacity.

I think it comes down to regulations and greed.
If a developer buys a big piece of land and want to build a shopping mall, the local council says you have to provide say 500 spaces - the developers do these spaces as small as regulations will allow so they can maximise they rental space and maximise their profits.

My van makes it under 2 meters and thats on the stupid high standard suspension. It feels like you are about to decapitate the van but it fits. Just make sure there is not a tamp straight after the barrier and take it easy.

Back