mirrors too wide for my garage

Thank you for the info! I have been looking for some after market models, but there is no one that fit without a complicated work in the original doors. Also another issue it's that there is no way back if I do all this work... Imagine that there is a legal problem altering the mirrors...

Was my hint at the factory built chassis cab of no use then?

Roller door will allow you to recover a couple of inches either side.

Roller door will allow you to recover a couple of inches either side.
Yes. I would fit the roller door on the inside of the garage wall so from outside you can only see the door and not the frame. That should make the opening wide

Something like this

BAD0B704-A689-4E95-AE9B-0EBA04C0276A.jpeg

It was too subtle for me,@dubber36 , let alone the OP from Spain :laugh:

Just to clarify, the cab version has those mirrors from the factory? Do they fold flat to the door?

Can they be retrofitted to normal T6s?

If so, that might be your solution @thebueso

Yep! Other colours are available too!!!
If you look at the top of the door, you will see where some lazy “boxing-in” was done....there is a good chunk of that heightwhich can be recovered when putting in a roller door. It’s just and extra slat or two on the door itself!

I didn't find compatible replacement parts of this "cab version" of vw. Maybe it not will fit? If I change the mirrors I want to have a "way back" if there is some "legal problem"... I really appreciate your message, i'll investigate more about this replacement part...

It was too subtle for me,@dubber36 , let alone the OP from Spain :laugh:

Just to clarify, the cab version has those mirrors from the factory? Do they fold flat to the door?

Can they be retrofitted to normal T6s?

If so, that might be your solution @thebueso
Thank you for the clarification! My english is not so good to some expressions xD

Reactions: CAB
Hi, I'm a newbie with a 2017 T6 SWB and I really need a wing-mirror solution to fit the van on my drive. It's very slim and I can fit the van body down there but not with the mirrors, even when folded, It just will not fit. I cant widen my drive etc, I dont want to park a £25000 vehicle on the busy road outside my house. Also my drive leads all the way to the large rear garden where I have plenty of space to work on the van for any mods and repairs. PLUS even if they did fit down the drive with them folded I'd be blind to whats going on and unable to reverse back safely without hitting one side other.
So, I thought I'd carry on this thread with my additional thoughts. (hope thats ok)

Solution idea 1.. from what i can tell the T4 has flatter folding mirrors, plus they can come with electrics.. i wonder if the t4 mirrors would be an easy enough swap and also if the electrics could be wired to the t6 controls.and also how flush to the van are they when folded? here's one in action..
Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.25.55.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.25.39.jpg

Solution 2.
KIND OF BLUE has already suggested this.. Blank off the T6 mirrors and add a different type of mirror like these old VW bus mirrors.. vw t2 truck mirrors i. OR maybe these from a landrover.. Defender Wing Mirror Head Complete With Mirror Arms Pair or something from any other car for that matter..jeep wranglers seem to have a good few options as they are not nessacarily adhering to a specific triangular base plate - K-Metal® - Side View Mirrors
I quite like the simple chrome rectangular mirrors as i'm into the american day-van look so maybe it wont look so bad? The single stalked mirrors could be bolted into the original mirror blanking plate? This method would lose any electric adjustment though but a nice tall mirror would give you better visibility anyway so you wouldn't need to adjust so much? These mirrors I'm presuming could fold very close in on the van.
Screenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.23.24.jpgvwt25_blog_tuck_mirrors_0032.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.32.44.jpgdetail-at-shiny-wing-side-mirror-of-vintage-and-classic-vw-volkswagen-bus-or-van-at-at-classic...jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.34.08.jpgc2d8d1_a17972f6830047cf85c701ba47298a71_mv2.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.44.03.jpg
92f0ba1f13bc4cb4ba9a38f283b9f72f.jpgfa04696e65629008bb980cee4894d98f.jpg

Solution 3-ish.
So this is another option or possibly an additional answer. I have a very wide classic Buick Skylark and to get that thing down the drive is very tight and I was thinking of buying or building some magnetic mirrors to put on the front wings/fenders JUST to get down the drive as this would give me a view of the front wheel arch area as well as my normal mirrors (which are snug-in on the Buick) giving me the usual view for the rear wheel arches. So maybe this could work for the van? Once I discover a good replacement for the stock mirrors, I'd still like to see my way back safely in which case I could slap on the magnetic mirrors onto the front wings/bonnet to be able to reach out and peek down the driveway as I reverse. Maybe this could replace the van mirrors entirely, mounted quite forward on the front wing .. ( but I think this will more than likely look mad if they were permanently in this position)

Did anyone modded their mirrors to fold in tighter? Anyone made a blanking plate for the stock mirrors? Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers.

cddf1811-0dcf-444b-bf5c-f33bfc7b505d.051f9ff465f187418aecd0327444c2fc.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.49.40.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 16.49.47.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 17.01.48.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 17.01.44.jpgScreenshot 2022-06-05 at 17.01.56.jpg
toyota_hiace_fender_mirror_1582962059_dbfd319a_progressive.jpgdownload.jpg

110173_5bebf2718143a295.jpg

I cut out my doorframe and created sections that I could remove when I had an up and over door. It has since been replaced by a roller shutter door which is so much better.

Back