Manual or DSG?

Bringing this conversation back on track... Manual or Auto. I'm a petrol head, many nice cars have been owned before I became a family man. The 2 seater cars have made way for kitchen extensions and other such "essentials" as deemed by the Mrs.
I have however driven for an extended period of time a Golf R with a DSG box in it. WOW! What a gear box that is! Every round about, fast bend etc i thought it would be in the wrong gear... it was exactly where it needed to be when it needed to be there... i was really impressed with it. My T5.1 also has a DSG gear box in it.... what a pile of turd that is!! Its currently with @BognorMotors having the Revo Stage 1 and the TVS DGS Gearbox map done in the hope it makes it a better box.

The original poster said they were thinking about a nearly new Kombi so a T6 at the very least??... surely the DSG in that is similar to the DSG in the Golf R i drove (2018 plate)... in which case i would be really torn between manual and DSG.... That said others have eluded to the fact 5 speed is on te lower powered vans... My money, i'd go for slightly more power in the van and mate it to a DSG.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. :)

After having manual cars and hiring a manual T5 for a trip around Skye I opted fo a DSG - as I was trading in my car and using the van as a possible daily I wanted comforts.
Would never look back to manual. Now to get my mrs to convert to DSG - she's still on the 'DSG isn't proper driving and i'll get bored not changing gears' :rolleyes:

After having manual cars and hiring a manual T5 for a trip around Skye I opted fo a DSG - as I was trading in my car and using the van as a possible daily I wanted comforts.
Would never look back to manual. Now to get my mrs to convert to DSG - she's still on the 'DSG isn't proper driving and i'll get bored not changing gears' :rolleyes:
My wife swaps her Volvo XC60 every couple of years, she insisted on manual, for the same reasons as your wife.
Last year the sales rep broke the news to her - "Er, no, you won't be having a manual, they don't make a manual XC60 any more!"
Now she doesn't understand anybody not wanting an auto! :rolleyes:

My wife was the same about 10 years ago when I bought a DSG Passat. She took it out to try it, then rang me in a proper paddy because she couldn't get it to move off her mums drive to let another car out. The Auto Hold doesn't auto release if the drivers seat belt isn't on. Anyway, a week or so later she gave it another go, and over the course of the next few days, learned how to use it and now wouldn't go back.

We bought a manual Polo for our son to learn in, but he now has a Scirocco, so we both use the Polo for general day to day stuff. It's OK, but it's always nice to get back into the DSG T6 or Tig.

So I’ve got a manual 150 T6.1. I absolutely love it but I do wish it was a DSG. have Any of you heard of anyone converting one to a DSG? I’d want it to all be factory spec, parts etc. any thoughts?

So I’ve got a manual 150 T6.1. I absolutely love it but I do wish it was a DSG. have Any of you heard of anyone converting one to a DSG? I’d want it to all be factory spec, parts etc. any thoughts?
Surely it would be much cheaper and less hassle to sell the van and but another one with DSG - if it was even possible

I enjoyed driving the 150 T6 manual way more than the DSG I've got now but I have to admit it's pretty effortless.

I enjoyed driving the 150 T6 manual way more than the DSG I've got now but I have to admit it's pretty effortless.
First Vw van I have owned and first DSG ...I loved the dsg box makes life easy round town ..stop/start and smooth on the motorway. Each to there own but pleased I opted for the dsg as a first time van owner

First Vw van I have owned and first DSG ...I loved the dsg box makes life easy round town ..stop/start and smooth on the motorway. Each to there own but pleased I opted for the dsg as a first time van owner
I'm weird tho, I prefer barn doors too and positively hate the awning rail. It's coming off when I work out what tool I need. :)

Back