Manual or DSG?

Belly

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Similar Kombi’s good spec, auto apx 2k more expensive. Worth it ?

Oh yes.
You should refine your question to:-
Option 1 - manual only
Option 2 - dsg (auto, auto sport, and manual)
;)

I like to drive a van , not just steer it, and that includes a clutch .....manual every time.

DSG, I also enjoy driving, but there`s no need to work any gears. If you want to take a bit of control, put it in manual shift for a while.

I love my DSG. I've never used 'sport' or 'manual mode'. If it was a Ferrari, then manual. Or my bike its manual but doesnt need a clutch apart from pull away. I like autos on cars/vans etc. Im lazy and driving Miss Daisy on 4 wheels. Im a moron on two though.

The 7 speed DSG is a pleasure to drive, super smooth gear changes and the versatility of flipping to manual when you want... undoubtedly a fantastic engineering achievement for an automatic gearbox and less stressful in stop start traffic or scenic driving where you can enjoy the view a little more without the worry of dealing with the gear changes needed for the terrain...

But they're not for everyone... so test drive them both and see which you prefer... or whether it will suit you for your intended use...

I like to drive a van , not just steer it, and that includes a clutch .....manual every time.
I think it takes time to adjust to a different way of driving an Auto if you have only ever driven with 3 pedals, or last experience of an Auto was a Granada with a 3 speed gearbox. Many have made the change and would never go back, but I guess it's not for everyone.

We've got 2 automatics and as of tomorrow, 3 manuals in our household. Whilst the manual cars (Mk2 Golf GTI and a Mk3 Scirocco) are fun, I don't need to have fun on every journey. The manual Polo that is coming tomorrow is for the kids to learn in.

While I love driving the van, driving it as a manual doesn't make it more fun. It's not that sort of vehicle

In a 'fun' car I'd take manual everytime.

Conversely, in the van, the DSG makes it feel more refined and car like. DSG wasn't high on my list, but the vehicle in the right spec for other bits also came with DSG. Very pleased it did now

DSG every time for me. Strictly speaking its not a traditional auto box, its a clutchless manual.

I dont think it makes it less fun. Even my bike has a quickshifter or shift assist so I can change gear without pulling the clutch lever.

Driving the Van for me is a relaxed state of affairs, with the DSG box it just wafts along, there’s no threshold that’s breached as it grabs for another gear as it gasps and grabs at revs, the shift is almost seamless both up and down the box, I couldn’t imagine throwing gears in a Van is sedate, up and down the box like a fiddlers elbow with the left leg up and down all the time.

I won’t ever buy a manual every day car again, for the odd track day and occasional weekend jaunt I’ve got a manual high revving car which I couldn’t imagine ever driving an auto in the same guise.

Do you also like to turn a crank to get the engine started or have you embraced electric starters?

How about an automatic choke? Or do you prefer to adjust the mix yourself?

Automatic gearboxes these days are incredible and a bargain at £2,000. Auto every time. I haven't had a manual vehicle since about 2004.

dsg everytime, really miss mine on the newer work van i have but still have a 4motion dsg passatfor my fix

I’ve had manuals all my life but driving 15k + a year and the amount of traffic stop starting I went for a dsg earlier this year. Got to say I definitely prefer it, either that or I’m just getting old.

Back