Manual or DSG?

I’ve had manuals all my life but driving 15k + a year and the amount of traffic stop starting I went for a dsg earlier this year. Got to say I definitely prefer it, either that or I’m just getting old.

You do tend to find that a lot of people (not all) who say that they don’t like autos have either never driven one, or they are comparing them to an old Vauxhall auto that they drove 25 years ago.
I was one of those blokes that said I would never have an auto, but I ended up with one, and now I would never buy a manual, not even if it was a sports car.
Modern autos are so much more refined now than they used to be, and besides, most have a manual override if you want it.

Hi,

Looking to buy a T6 in the near future so I´m trying to get as educated as possible before I sign the dotted line. :)

My question is regarding gearbox options.
So i´m planning to buy a TDI, however here in Sweden the DSG gearbox has been absolutley butchered by the car magazines in regards of reliability.
My question is if it would be better to go for the manual gearbox instead of the DSG in regards to reliability/service cost.

I drive mostly highway so I really dont mind using a manual gearbox. Would the manual be the more reliable/hassle free option?

Here in the UK the DSG gearbox has a lot of happy owners and is regarded as a fantastic piece of engineering,... probably the most advanced auto box ever produced... It drives really well and is super smooth through the gear changes...

Reliability is regarded as very good... but as with any type of DSG gearbox, should it develop a fault or need repairing, then repair costs are usually higher than that of a manual..

What reasons have the swedish car magazines used in its arguments against the DSG..?

I think there were problems with early DSG gear boxes (around 10 years ago now!) If the oil is changed regularly (every 40k miles) then I believe they are reliable.

I'm happy with my DSG 'box

Here in the UK the DSG gearbox has a lot of happy owners and is regarded as a fantastic piece of engineering,... probably the most advanced auto box ever produced... It drives really well and is super smooth through the gear changes...

Reliability is regarded as very good... but as with any type of DSG gearbox, should it develop a fault or need repairing, then repair costs are usually higher than that of a manual..

What reasons have the swedish car magazines used in its arguments against the DSG..?

It has been a variety of issues the most common reported seems to be clutch exhanges, faulty mechatronic boxes.
- They reported that for every sold Passat eco fuel DSG (usually Taxi:s here in sweden) they had to change the entire gearbox 1-3 times.
- They reported on a faulty DQ500 with a error from the manufacturing process with two adjustment washers mounted the wrong way.
- That VW recalled DSG gearboxes in China due to vibrations and loss of gears, they also noted that this has not been done in Europe.

I think there were problems with early DSG gear boxes (around 10 years ago now!) If the oil is changed regularly (every 40k miles) then I believe they are reliable.

I'm happy with my DSG 'box

Yes you might be right that these articles I have read may only apply to older generations of the DSG transmission. The articles were posted approx. 2013.
Btw. have there been any large upgrades of the DSG gearboxes since then?

The Passat had an older variant of the DSG. see the attached, there have been a few versions.

Attachments

• SSP__538__The_Dual_Clutch_Gearbox_0DD.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 12
If you feel happier with manual and you like the bus you've found I'd stick with that and not have any worries :thumbsup:

After owning 4 vehicles with DSG/S-Tronic I would not buy another manual. I certainly would not rule one out due to reliability concerns, especially if it opens up a wider choice of vehicles to buy. Especially if it has had the gearbox oil changed at the correct intervals.

You pay your money and take your chances. Personally I will stick with manual with a more powerful engine and less gear changes.

Isn't that an oxymoron?
No I don’t believe it is, having more torque results in less gear shifts manual or automatic. The 6 speed 180ps will pull from tickover RPM on the flat, plenty of torque.

The DSG used in Transporters was introduced in 2010 and it's still the same box. It is specified to handle torque up to 600Nm thus the same box is used on all Transporters. Anyways, the reputation of "our" box is good.

However, it is unfortunately true that a DSG-variant used in other vehicles have had challenges - the 0AM/DQ200 variant which has had indeed the following failures
the most common reported seems to be clutch exhanges, faulty mechatronic boxes.
However, VW has tackled the challenges of that - by upgrading the components even in (s)old gearboxes.

General info about DSG, for Transporter at (0BH/)0BT/DQ500 DSG Transmission Variants

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Yes, it shades in as an oxymoron as the expressions need only appear to be contradictory! A DSG also changes gears after all! (Though it should read “fewer gear changes” not “less gear changes” but, as English is my second language, I won’t comment further!)

@Jlo has the thread for English!!!

Yes, it shades in as an oxymoron as the expressions need only appear to be contradictory! A DSG also changes gears after all! (Though it should read “fewer gear changes” not “less gear changes” but, as English is my second language, I won’t comment further!)

@Jlo has the thread for English!!!
You’ll all have to get over it, being Cornish myself I don’t give a ....
Don’t get pedantic when you’re next visiting a pasty shop, you might get the ‘special’ filling my luvver.

Back