Manual or DSG?

You’ll all have to get over it, being Cornish myself I don’t give a ....
Don’t get pedantic when you’re next visiting a pasty shop, you might get the ‘special’ filling my luvver.
I'll happily have a debate with the natives on their national language..........but I won't argue whether jam or cream goes on the scone first. (There you go, I've alienated much of Devon as well!)

Don’t get pedantic when you’re next visiting a pasty shop, you might get the ‘special’ filling my luvver.
That one cracked me up!

I did once know a pasty shop worker who used to keep a couple of ‘specials’ on the side for the regulars who’d pissed him off.
In my youth, I spent a couple of summer holidays working as a waiter and I absolutely recognise the above description. “Never, ever, ever p1ss off your waiter/waitress” would be my advice! They can literally leave you on the throne for the night if they wish!!!

Reactions: DXX
Hi,

Looking to buy a T6 in the near future so I´m trying to get as educated as possible before I sign the dotted line. :)

My question is regarding gearbox options.
So i´m planning to buy a TDI, however here in Sweden the DSG gearbox has been absolutley butchered by the car magazines in regards of reliability.
My question is if it would be better to go for the manual gearbox instead of the DSG in regards to reliability/service cost.

I drive mostly highway so I really dont mind using a manual gearbox. Would the manual be the more reliable/hassle free option?
For what it's worth I bought a manual on purpose, less to go wrong, cheaper to fix if it does etc.

I wouldn't go for a dsg van unless I was running them on lease deals etc.

Reactions: DXX

I love my DSG. Foot on the brake, move my luvver into D, relax for the rest of the journey.

Hi Everyone, new to the forum. Looking to purchase a nearly new kombi from a dealership but it seems that only 5 gears or automatic are available when I had my heart set on a manual 6 gears! The two dealerships that are local to me have both said that 6 gears are hard to come by so I think I am going to have to settle! Question is, which is better? 5 gears or automatic? The van is for personal usage for camping and fishing all over the UK, as well everyday family usage. It will either be T28 or T32 SWB as these are available currently.

Any help hugely appreciated on whether I should settle for manual 5 gears or go with the automatic!

There’s no right or wrong answer to this question, it’s all down to personal preference really.
You’ll find that all the people with manuals will say they are the best, and all those with DSG will say that they are the best.
Personally I’m an auto guy and wouldn’t entertain any vehicle with a manual box.
What I would say though is that there are a lot of people who have said in the past that they would never have an auto , but having tried one have changed their mind and said that they would never have a manual again.
Your best bet is to try and get yourself a test drive in both and see which one you prefer.

+2 DSG….all my car’s where manual…after a long journey my left leg was as tired as as my right …you will always hit traffic …stop/start…… but with auto box and cruise control ….drive longer ( with comfort stops ) and less stressful :)

just save you’re strength for the Pitching stress :laugh::laugh:

You get the 6 speed manual on 150ps and 199ps engines, 5 speed comes on the 104ps and 84ps engines.
DSG is only available on 150ps and 199ps engines.

So your original question is a bit more complicated because there is an underlying different engine choice which will make a big difference.

I've got a 6 speed manual, I like it but I think DSG would be nicer. I went for manual because I’ve had a bad experience with Fords equivalent to DSG on reliability, maybe I should have ignored that and went for DSG.

For my reference, I am a manual guy through and through. Being a racer at heart (although not in speed :laugh:)I prefer manual's.
Every car or bike I have ever ridden were manual.

Saying that everyone says go for the DSG and I decided to do that this time. I have only put about 80 miles onto my new vehicle I got last Wednesday but man I must say one thing about it. WOW!
I cant speak for reliability but I am super impressed with just how smooth and easy it is to drive. I am not disappointed and quite frankly I can't imagine getting back in a manual car on the road. If I had a track car though it would be manual but on the road this thing is a breeze to drive and such an awesome experience.

I currently have a 6 speed manual Passat and I love it. However, when the misses bought an auto Kia Sportage I've changed my tune. So much so that I've ordered a factory DSG. Modern auto's are so much different from what I remember years ago - 3 or 4 speed boxes that were never in the right gear.

As previously stated your choice is more than just 5 spd or dsg, the engine size is part of it. The 150 engine, I assume, would be a nicer drive than the lower bhp engines.

+3 for DSG.

Can't wait my 6.1 dsg 150 to arrive, even though I've been waiting since last August. But that's another story.

This is turning into a landslide, I make that 8-0? Surely someone (possibly time-travelling from 1985) will come and make an impassioned defence of the humble manual gearbox?

DSG. As above I never thought I would go auto but I ordered a TT in 2010 with his box as they were quoting faster times to 60 with this box. I bought another Audi after that with a manual box. Hated it and in the end sold that and went back to DSG. Im now on my 4th DSG vehicle and would never go back.

Can I speak up for manual boxes!
We ordered our van specifically with 6 speed manual, I’ve nothing against auto/dsg but just prefer choosing when and where to change gear. The only thing I’ve found with previous dsg is the slight ‘prod’ needed to get moving, especially in reverse, very personal and a feature that would get used to very quickly I’m sure.
The manual shift is really short throw and lovely to use.

I have 150ps 6 speed manual and love it would highly recommend to anyone. As others have said it completely personal preference and neither is a bad choice! For me I love the control the manual gives and more of a sense of driving so it doesn't make sense in my eyes to pay more for the DSG. I also drive hilly country roads here in wales so I like the manual, if all you did was motorway drive then then the DSG would be great. If you are undecided there would be nothing better than testing one.
Personally I discounted the 5 speed 110ps, the extra power the 150 gives is really worth it especially when you need to overtake and makes it more fun to drive with only marginal increased fuel consumption. The 6 speed gears sit nicely at all speeds and is effortless on the motorway in 6th.
Vehicle availabilty is low at the moment but for the price tag these things bring I wouldn't settle just because of lack of availability if you plan to keep it for a long time its worth getting right!

Back