Manual or DSG?

My T6 is manual and the Mrs’s Golf R-Line is DSG…. if I were buying again, I’d definitely go for the DSG.

Lifetime manual driver here, but went for the DSG for my T6 Kombi, and would never go back to manual for a leisure/personel vehicle again.
However, I still have a manual gearbox in my work van which is great when lugging weight or towing.

I have 150ps 6 speed manual and love it would highly recommend to anyone. As others have said it completely personal preference and neither is a bad choice! For me I love the control the manual gives and more of a sense of driving so it doesn't make sense in my eyes to pay more for the DSG. I also drive hilly country roads here in wales so I like the manual, if all you did was motorway drive then then the DSG would be great. If you are undecided there would be nothing better than testing one.
Personally I discounted the 5 speed 110ps, the extra power the 150 gives is really worth it especially when you need to overtake and makes it more fun to drive with only marginal increased fuel consumption. The 6 speed gears sit nicely at all speeds and is effortless on the motorway in 6th.
Vehicle availabilty is low at the moment but for the price tag these things bring I wouldn't settle just because of lack of availability if you plan to keep it for a long time its worth getting right!
Out of interest, have you ever driven a vehicle with DSG box? My guess is no.
I would like to know what advantage you think a manual gives on hilly roads? I actually disagree - driving mainly on a motorway is the place it make least difference between the boxes.
The places where the DSG box had a bigger advantage are where you change gear more frequently ie in traffic and other roads where gear changes are more frequent like hilly country roads.

Out of interest, have you ever driven a vehicle with DSG box? My guess is no.
I would like to know what advantage you think a manual gives on hilly roads? I actually disagree - driving mainly on a motorway is the place it make least difference between the boxes.
The places where the DSG box had a bigger advantage are where you change gear more frequently ie in traffic and other roads where gear changes are more frequent like hilly country roads.
As I said it all comes down to personal preference and there isn't a correct answer. Correct, I haven't driven the T6 DSG specifically a but I have never personally been a fan of automatic despite driving several, latest being a 2018 hilux, so for me I wanted manual. Maybe its abit sad but i also like changing gear haha! I find the advantage is that I can see how the road is changing ahead so may want to stay in a gear earlier or change earlier or later etc and coast in neutral where safe or appropriate to do so. I also like being able to staying in a lower gear to give some engine breaking down steep hills. All personal preference!

As I said it all comes down to personal preference and there isn't a correct answer. Correct, I haven't driven the T6 DSG specifically a but I have never personally been a fan of automatic despite driving several, latest being a 2018 hilux, so for me I wanted manual. Maybe its abit sad but i also like changing gear haha! I find the advantage is that I can see how the road is changing ahead so may want to stay in a gear earlier or change earlier or later etc and coast in neutral where safe or appropriate to do so. I also like being able to staying in a lower gear to give some engine breaking down steep hills. All personal preference!
Coasting in neutral is illegal, so is never appropriate and a very bad driving habit for lots of reasons.
You can do the low gear to give engine braking with the DSG box.

Coasting in neutral is illegal, so is never appropriate and a very bad driving habit for lots of reasons.
You can do the low gear to give engine braking with the DSG box.

I don't do it for various reasons but I'd be interested to know how it is illegal. (Act and Section)

I don't do it for various reasons but I'd be interested to know how it is illegal. (Act and Section)
I meant an offence, not illegal

Edit: nThe offence would be not in full control of your vehicle.

When a car is coasting it is slowing down due to mechanical and aerodynamic grip, and during cornering the mechanical component of this is higher due to the slip angles in the tyres. In essence, it is likely to cause an accident or a skid.

The Highway code states:

This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. Do not coast, whatever the driving conditions. It reduces driver control because:
  • engine braking is eliminated
  • vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
  • increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
  • steering response will be affected particularly on bends and corners
  • it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed

Well I think in terms of
When a car is coasting it is slowing down due to mechanical and aerodynamic grip, and during cornering the mechanical component of this is higher due to the slip angles in the tyres. In essence, it is likely to cause an accident or a skid.

The Highway code states:
It's a bit of a stretch to call coasting an offence though!!!:slow rofl:
(having downgraded it from illegal!)

Well I think in terms of

It's a bit of a stretch to call coasting an offence though!!!:slow rofl:
(having downgraded it from illegal!)
In what terms were you thinking?

It's not me that calls it an offence. It is.

And I least I am not muddled up whether I coast or not. :fast rofl:

Not sure about this coasting business but bear in mind that if you touch the brakes,especially when travelling down hill it stops coasting and changes down, also modern brakes are very capable without engine braking to help and lastly electric power steering doesn’t rely on being driven by the engine. Not saying I’m a fan but I don’t think it’s as dangerous as some would make out. Just my view…..

In what terms were you thinking?

It's not me that calls it an offence. It is.

And I least I am not muddled up whether I coast or not. :fast rofl:
Muddled?
The OP said he coasts.
You said it was illegal.
I said it wasn't, but I don't do it for various reasons.
Where was I muddled?

You'd have zero chance of being prosecuted for coasting because it's not an offence. Plenty of old auto gearbox cars on the road offer little to no engine braking, coasting with the engine running might not be recommended but that's far from designating it an offence.
This is like the old urban legend that it's illegal to drive wearing flip flops because somebody could argue that you were not in proper control of your vehicle, it's nonsense.
Jeez, how anybody can seriously expect to post about coasting, "In essence, it is likely to cause an accident or a skid", and not be challenged is a mystery.
We've all coasted at some point and I shall wait for a flurry of posts detailing the grisly accidents it caused.

IS COASTING ILLEGAL​

Coasting is not directly illegal or against the law. Circumstances of a situation however could lead to prosecution due to coasting. If you are involved in a car accident and you were coasting at the time by having the gears in neutral, if it was found that the coasting participated somewhat to the accident, it could be deemed that the driver had a lack of control of the vehicle due to coasting.

Back