Lowering And Wheel Alignment Issues?

A big thanks to @highwaycollective for passing on the settings. Myself and @T6180 had our vans checked and adjusted today at Tyre Medics in Hinckley. The tech was a really knowledgable guy, but best of all he set them both as we requested, and as you advised.

As you can see from the print out below, there was quite an issue, and this hopefully explains why i'm eating rear tyres. The van feels a little different, almost more planted, but that might just be a placebo. I have noticed one obvious change, and that's the fact I cannot see the inner rim of my rear wheels in my wing mirrors any more, just the edge. I won't know if this has cured my problem for several weeks, but i'm glad they found it to be out of alignment, and were able to rectify it.

View attachment 43576
Hi @Tourershine I'm getting my van hunter aligned very soon, i will also be going to tyre medics as there just down the road from me. Did you just ask them to allign using no load or did you need to provide them with any base settings?

Cheers:thumbsup:

Hi @Tourershine I'm getting my van hunter aligned very soon, i will also be going to tyre medics as there just down the road from me. Did you just ask them to allign using no load or did you need to provide them with any base settings?

Is your van lowered or stock?

as I understand it, ‘load’ informs the machine to compensate for you later removing weight from the van - a load - and the suspension / arms / wheels moving as the weight is released. So ‘no load’ indicates your van is empty and therefore the alignment is done without any compensation.
So unless you arrive there with a temporary load in your van, or plan on subsequently removing stuff, the advice is to go with the ‘no load’ setting.

as I understand it, ‘load’ informs the machine to compensate for you later removing weight from the van - a load - and the suspension / arms / wheels moving as the weight is released. So ‘no load’ indicates your van is empty and therefore the alignment is done without any compensation.
So unless you arrive there with a temporary load in your van, or plan on subsequently removing stuff, the advice is to go with the ‘no load’ setting.
Thats what i thought but just wanted to check :thumbsup:

Same mate.... I’ll be going there for the Hunter Alignment soon, so you’re asking the same questions I was thinking about :thumbsup:

If you are really low I think the Powerflex bushes would be a good idea at the rear. Not essential by any means, but I think they would get you right back to stock camber in the rear (you can't adjust camber on the rear of a T6). You can get the toe in pretty much back to standard spec without them though.

I don't think the bushes are necessary at the front as you can get adjust both camber and toe at the front, and can get them back within tolerance without much effort. Perhaps on air ride it is more of a challenge, but with coilovers, I think the rears are the only ones you might want to consider in extreme circumstances.

Whatever you do alignment wise, make sure the hunter system is set to "NO LOAD". Any other setting just considers the excessive toe at the rear to be normal.
How much can you adjust Camber on the front ??

After reading through the whole thread, NO LOAD is definitely the way to go.... assuming that you turn up with how your van is always going to be loaded/driven. My van is a day van and never carries any weight, just some of my kit and tools.
Thanks to @highwaycollective for his informative posts :thumbsup:

After reading through the whole thread, NO LOAD is definitely the way to go.... assuming that you turn up with how your van is always going to be loaded/driven. My van is a day van and never carries any weight, just some of my kit and tools.
Thanks to @highwaycollective for his informative posts :thumbsup:
Yes my van is literally just a kombi and basically used as a car. The only weight it ever carries is my mountain bike, the kids and a few bits of kit.

Hi Folks

Just had this report back, the guy said the back can't be adjusted according to his system. Van is T28 SWB lowered 50mm. Panel van currently, don't carry any heavy loads.

Steering has been corrected, but not much else! Totally novice on this tbh! Any advise/feedback would be appreciated. Are these tolerances anything to worry about longterm?

IMG_1305.jpeg

Hi Folks

Just had this report back, the guy said the back can't be adjusted according to his system. Van is T28 SWB lowered 50mm. Panel van currently, don't carry any heavy loads.

Steering has been corrected, but not much else! Totally novice on this tbh! Any advise/feedback would be appreciated. Are these tolerances anything to worry about longterm?

View attachment 113396

Toe on the rear can be adjusted, the only way to adjust rear camber, as mentioned is by fitting adjustable polybushes.

Cheers, I'll take it back to see if they can adjust the toe then, but either way are those figures anything major in relation to causing issues to other parts (other than tyres) in the long term.

How can I politely explain that the rear Toe can be adjusted then, does the mechanic have to override the settings. The guy basically said the computer says no!

How can I politely explain that the rear Toe can be adjusted then, does the mechanic have to override the settings. The guy basically said the computer says no!
I'm not convinced the computer says 'no' for toe, camber maybe. The Hunters system just shows the alignment results. The technician needs to adjust the rear and the computer will show the adjusted results. When I had mine done (4 times, I might add) the technician was adjusting and watching the screen at the same time.

The question is, will you have to pay again if you go back or will they adjust it free of charge? if you have to pay again maybe try another garage.

There is some level of toe adjustment but only a certain amount and the same applies to adjustable polybushes when it comes to camber.

My old van was nearly fully down on solows and I was only slightly in the red on the right rear for camber with polybushes. it was pulling to the left and Tyre Medics got the toe into the green (no more pulling to the left) all round

It boils down to, do you trust the technician

Back