Lowered my work van.

rhinoman

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Been waiting for my van for months so had already accumulated many parts. I knew I wanted to lower and stiffen the ride so bought the H&R Antirollbars and after deciding that coilovers had the potential to offer a better ride than just lowering springs, decided to order the matching H&R coilovers.

I drove home from the dealers and picked up the bits, took a quick before photo

full.jpg

Drove to my mates garage to have them fitted, 68 miles and pulling the van apart already.

The H&R's use Koni dampers
full.jpg
full.jpg
After a quick Hunter 4 wheel alignment at http://a1blackandround.co.uk/wheel-alignment/
full.jpg

Much better, drives just fine, goes over the straddle speed bumps no problem, firm but not crashy.

Fitted the 18" Sportlines and grabbed a pick but getting dark now, will try and get a better one tomorrow.
full.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, get you some of that!!! Looks nice buddy, good job.... looks like a busy day. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, think it shows that the lowering is what makes them look great more than the wheels because I quite like it even on the standard 17's.

I only stood and watched to be fair, the rears were easy, the fronts a bit more work but the mechanic loved the brand new bolts and how easy it came apart. I'm very lucky as the garage belongs to one of my best mates and he does everything for me without charge as I do jobs for him in return. I could do it myself but I'd rather fix a PC or something similar for him while one of his guys does the dirty work.
As already reported the new rear anti-rollbar mount had to be modded to accept the height sensor for the headlights but there was very little stress about it, I didn't get a chance to take a pic as they sorted it so quickly.

Looks like just you and me in the lowered grey work vans crew at the moment, Those H&R fronts look even lower than my b14's:) Having some sportline alloys fitted myself tomorrow but went for the black and silver ones, not sure now looking at yours;)

Looks like just you and me in the lowered grey work vans crew at the moment, Those H&R fronts look even lower than my b14's:) Having some sportline alloys fitted myself tomorrow but went for the black and silver ones, not sure now looking at yours;)

I went back and forth over alloys for ages, originally the all silver sportlines, had they done the new matt black with a silver flash in a gloss i'd have probably had those, I like the anthracite and silver flash but think its too much for the van in grey so plumped for these, not entirely made up on them as they always look a little dirty as the backs are grey too but we'll see once I've had a chance to detail it all.

Gradually putting stuff in the back so the back is now droppinga little more too, the front doesn't look quite as low but I'll see where I end up, the H&R's are bottomed out and I fully expected to have to raise them a little as clearing speed lumps is a requirement, just want to give them a week or so to settle first and get the rest of the weight in.

Looks really good pal :thumbsup:

Toying with the idea of lowering mine now and all these posts are costing me money....haha...:D

Be interested in a review on h&r coilovers I'm not sure if I should try instead of b14s again

Be interested in a review on h&r coilovers I'm not sure if I should try instead of b14s again

I haven't tried B14's.

I have just spent the last 6 months in a loaner T6 140 4 motion, I also have a 911 C4S and a Q7 sline, both have active suspension. The Q7 especially, I always drive in the harder setting and its on 21's and I like it, so what I class as harsh may be different to most.

I mainly picked the H&R's over the B14's as I was already buying the H&R anti-rollbars so figured that H&R "may" (possibly my mistake) have put some thought into matching the rates of the components for a vehicle and they were both similar money and both seem well respected.

I have often fitted an uprated rear anti-rollbar to my vehicles as I prefer the lack of body roll. I've never fitted coilovers before but I did want to lower the van and thought it would give better results than lowered springs with standard dampers.

On the original suspension my new T6 felt slightly wallowy and bouncy. With the coilovers and matching anti-rollbars fitted it feals much more composed and sure footed. More large car like, very similar to the Q7. they do crash slighly over potholes as you'd expect but not that bad and not as bad as the 911. The imidiacy of response from the dampers is the most noticable aspect.

Reactions: Kev
I haven't tried B14's.

I have just spent the last 6 months in a loaner T6 140 4 motion, I also have a 911 C4S and a Q7 sline, both have active suspension. The Q7 especially, I always drive in the harder setting and its on 21's and I like it, so what I class as harsh may be different to most.

I mainly picked the H&R's over the B14's as I was already buying the H&R anti-rollbars so figured that H&R "may" (possibly my mistake) have put some thought into matching the rates of the components for a vehicle and they were both similar money and both seem well respected.

I have often fitted an uprated rear anti-rollbar to my vehicles as I prefer the lack of body roll. I've never fitted coilovers before but I did want to lower the van and thought it would give better results than lowered springs with standard dampers.

On the original suspension my new T6 felt slightly wallowy and bouncy. With the coilovers and matching anti-rollbars fitted it feals much more composed and sure footed. More large car like, very similar to the Q7. they do crash slighly over potholes as you'd expect but not that bad and not as bad as the 911. The imidiacy of response from the dampers is the most noticable aspect.
911 C4 S very nice, keep looking at early 997 2S's but haven't got the balls to buy one with all the horror stories about engine issues and can't afford a turbo or a Gen 2

I haven't tried B14's.

May i ask where you got the roll bars from mate?.
Thanks

911 C4 S very nice, keep looking at early 997 2S's but haven't got the balls to buy one with all the horror stories about engine issues and can't afford a turbo or a Gen 2
Exactly the same as me, been looking for age and I stretched to a Gen2 as didn't want to risk a Gen1, and also wanted a PDK as it was replacing an Audi S5 with Stronic, hence the van choise of a DSG also.
Having bought the 997.2 I've read loads and loads about the IMS and bore scoring issues and on the whole is lots of web hype. IMS badly effects the 996's and the early 997.1 t0 around 2006 when they uprated it so the later ones are basically ok. The bore scoring "can" effect any but is mainly down to a lack of maintainence and mechanical sympathy. I.E not letting the oil warm properly before hooning it which on mine is around 9 miles which is why it seems to effect the low mileage ones more as they get taken out for a blast on a Sunday as opposed to the daily drivers that move more in rush hour.

May i ask where you got the roll bars from mate?.
Thanks
ECP, if you use the part number to search the regular discount codes seem to work. Part number is quoted on the thread in the other forum.

Back