Lost My Indicator Tick Tock

PhilBob

VIP Member
Wondering in anyone has experienced a loss of indicator sound and what the likely cause is?
I put the van in for its first service on friday and on the drive home discovered the indicator no longer made any tick tock sound. Indicators still work fine, just no sound.
Any ideas what may be the problem?
I'm in the process of booking it back in to be fixed, so guess I may find out next week.
Cheers.

Not the same issue, but I found out that the ‘tick tock’ noise was fake the other day.

Tried amber LEDs in the rear indicators and the clicking runs fast, as does the arrow on the dash, but hey presto, the indicators run at the correct speed!

Bulb out warning too, so the LEDs were binned!

That’s interesting to learn - the indicators still flash at the correct rate? I wonder if the BCM could be coded to accept or ignore them.
And that’s interesting to learn about the noise being switched off.

That’s interesting to learn - the indicators still flash at the correct rate? I wonder if the BCM could be coded to accept or ignore them.
And that’s interesting to learn about the noise being switched off.

Yep. I was surprised too!

i worked on clusters for supercars,
it was funny to find out for a while some manufacturers still integrated a relay connected to nothing just to generate the sound
i doubt it is the case in a t6. probably just a sound file played
just in case you didn't know, indicator sound is at a different rate when bulb is thought defective (or LED not pulling enough power)

The ticktock is a simulated sound from a speaker....

Try a full reset... battery disconnect.

It’s done for blind drives

Years ago I worked at a car dealership. We had just put dual controls in a car for a driving instructor and I was moving it around from the passenger seat. A customer saw me doing this and rather bemused asked me what I was doing. I told him that it was a special order for a disabled couple. I said the husband had no legs, so couldn't press the pedals. His wife was blind, so couldn't steer. He would steer and give his wife instructions to accelerate and brake.

I'm not sure what he made of it as he toddled off.

Yes, indicators still flash at correct rate.
Tried a full reset by disconnecting the battery for 5min - no joy.
Took it back to the dealers this morning. They diagnosed a fault in the instrument cluster.
New instrument cluster on order.

Recently solved the same issue on my T6.
The micro speaker in the Speedo unit needed to be replaced. In my case it was a 50 ohm rated speaker. You’ll need to de solder the old one and solder the new one in.

What I really need is to hook mine up to an amp! For a change, that's not a criticism of the VW design, it's just that my hearings getting worse with age and it would stop my Mrs keep having to say 'the indicator's on'.

Main dealer had my van in today, it needs a new instrument cluster, which is on a long back order so they’ll call me when it arrives.

Probably going to drag it out until January when they can claim it’s out of warranty.

But I have it all noted in emails.

oh really . . . that's interesting.

no signs of water ingress anywhere?

did they just say the speaker has failed?

It was your typical main dealer response, they just want to change the part, not bother to try and fault find a £1 speaker.

Back