Led Bulbs For Rear Lights

CJH

I’ve had Transporter HQ headlights fitted to my T6 which I can justify on the grounds of safety. The H4’s being poor and being able to see at night is handy, but I struggle to justify the cost of new rear LED lights. I fancy the Van-X ones because they look nice, any comments are welcome?

Has anybody any experience of retaining the original rear lights (tailgate), but replacing the standard bulbs with LED bulbs?

Unless I select the correct LED’s the indicator lights may flash at the wrong speed, CAN-Bus enabled should prevent error messages and hopefully they will not cause interference with the radio. Any recommendations as to which LED bulbs to buy would be most appreciated?

Will the LED bulbs be too bright at the rear, potentially blinding drivers behind me? Could there be problems with the MOT? Anything else I need to consider?

Many thanks

OK so this is my conclusion for a tailgate, barn doors may differ:

Reversing light. LED bulb fitted, but makes little difference. Although it is brighter, I can’t see any better as it’s are more a marker light and not directional.

Fog light. LED could be fitted, but I see little point as it will be used infrequently.

Night lights. You could fit two LED’s, but the third bulb is also the brake light which brightens to become the brake light. Having brighter night lights around the brake light could be confusing to other road users, or I am being too cautious?

Indicator lights: There are “turn lights” out there, but my concern is will they last. I don’t want them failing if I breakdown on a smart motorway.

Back