HELP!! My electricals went HAYWIRE yesterday and no clue what I did or how to troubleshoot

QPiepelr65

Ford Transit Connect
I am so at a loss I have no idea what to look up online to try and diagnose the issue.

So I was just doing what I thought was some routine tidying up, just reconnecting a light which came unplugged at the plastic screw terminals and adding a couple of blade terminals to connections which I had previously soldered. Little bits and pieces. I thought this would only take an hour or two and done but the whole system went bonkers when I turned it back on.

So to the problems...

I had disconnected 3 rocker switches, two lights and a fan, in order to fix them to a control panel as well as adding blade terminals mentioned above. When I plugged them back in and switched the battery switch back on what should have been the off position was now on and vice versa. Of course I double and triple checked I didn't make a mistake and wire them wrong and they were connected right. I also checked with voltmeter and + and - on the wires were still as expected.

Now here is the freakiest part and what caused me to not trust any of it then, resorting to manually disconnecting the positive at the battery itself until I get more information. The weirdest thing...the battery cutoff switch would no longer cut the power when I switched it until...I switched off the light switch which was in the on position. How on earth could that be occurring!!!?? So the whole system would stay live with the battery switch ignoring the switch command until I switched off the rocker switch for the light which was on into the off position at which point power was then cut to the system.

I fiddled around some more with the lights and then somehow that above behaviour stopped happening and the battery switch would switch off again however there is still the problem that off is on and on is off for the lights which I guess is indicative of all the issues including the battery switch issue although I have no idea how at this stage.

So can anyone please let me know what might have happened. I can't think of anything out of the ordinary when I was working on the system.

I will note I had not turned off the solar isolator switch, which I have not done many times before with no issues, but is that necessary when turning off the battery switch to cut power to the whole system?

I am totally stumped so all advice welcome. As I said I didn't have the slightest idea what I could look up online to even begin to troubleshoot the issue so was no better off even with the internet at my fingertips.

Are connecting to a leisure battery or the main vehicle battery?
Nope. Totally separate.

Also to note I was not even working anywhere near the fuse box side or battery switch wires which makes it all the more confusing. Was only working on the rocker switch connections which are far away.

Got some pictures so we know what we are looking at?

Back