Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

LITHIUM-IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY 12 VOLT 100AH
SKU: RNG-BATT-LFP-12-100-EU

£719.99

1589523960245.png

12V 100AH SMART LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY

£799.99 now on offer --> £639.99

1589524063531.png

Looks like it's jumped back up to £719 but still a good deal, think that could be the one I've been waiting for!

How's your Renogy box going, still pleased with it?

Edit oh no you're right, it's a pre-order offer!

12V 100AH SMART LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY

£799.99 now on offer --> £639.99

View attachment 69776
Ordered big thanks for the spot and share!

Looks like it's jumped back up to £719 but still a good deal, think that could be the one I've been waiting for!

How's your Renogy box going, still pleased with it?

Edit oh no you're right, it's a pre-order offer!
still £639.99 . . .

AVAILABILITY:
The new batch of batteries is expected to arrive in mid-May. Place an order now, and you will enjoy 20% off. For limited time and stock, first come first served while stocks last.

which Renogy box you referring too. . . . ?

still £639.99 . . .

AVAILABILITY:
The new batch of batteries is expected to arrive in mid-May. Place an order now, and you will enjoy 20% off. For limited time and stock, first come first served while stocks last.

which Renogy box you referring too. . . . ?
The DC-DC charger with low temp support. That's the one I'm planning on putting at the centre of my setup with a portable solar charger and quick disconnects.

I notice the Renogy battery I just ordered mentions temp protection on one of the images but assuming that's not low temp charging protection.

The DC-DC charger with low temp support. That's the one I'm planning on putting at the centre of my setup with a portable solar charger and quick disconnects.

I notice the Renogy battery I just ordered mentions temp protection on one of the images but assuming that's not low temp charging protection.

on right yeh. the DC-DC charger . . . its awesome.

its a total ALL-IN-ONE solution:

• Designed to charge service batteries from two DC inputs—solar panels and alternator.
  • Built-in Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) to maximize the solar power.
  • 3-phase charging profile (Bulk, Boost, and Float) ensures your service battery will be accurately charged at the correct voltage levels to 100%.
  • Built-in Voltage Sensitive Relay (VSR) for easy setup with traditional alternators.
  • Compatible with smart alternators (with variable output voltage).
  • Trickle charges the starting battery via solar panels if the service battery is fully charged.
  • Isolation of the starting battery and the service battery.
  • Temperature and voltage compensation features prolong battery life and improve system performance.
  • Smart Protection Features: battery isolation, over-voltage protection, battery temperature protection, over-current protection, overheat protection, reverse current protection, solar panel and alternator reverse polarity protection.
  • Compatible with multiple battery types: AGM, GEL, Flooded, and Lithium.
  • Compact with a sturdy design, it was built tough for all conditions.

ill be refitting it shortly to do some mobile solar panel testing with the built in MPPT controller.

Cheers buddy will take a look and may as well get the DC-DC ordered too now I've got a battery.
LOL . . . turning into a Renogy FanBoy ! ? !

all you need now is Renogy Panels

Joking aside Renogy make decent kit IMHO, I've not personally tested the Lifpo4`s yet . . . but the solar and dc-dc/mttp kit is awesome and recommended.

I fitted a TN Power battery on its side under the passenger seat along with the Renogy DC-DC.
This Renogy battery looks like it is usefully slimmer and narrower which would give a little more room between the swivel and the battery and down the sides for cabling.
It is a bit taller though but I think it will easily fit, maybe even side on. The other one is even smaller and woudl fit in easy. The prices are similar.
TN Power 100ah size 328mm x 172mm x 220mm
Renogy 100ah size 260mm x 158mm x 246mm
Renogy Smart 100ah size 289 x 172 x 187.5mm

On the Renogy specification sheet there is also a 170ah battery and the size must also be very close to a fit in the single passenger seat box.
That would be a monster. 357mm x 155mm x 270mm

I bought a DCC50S back at Christmas time as they were in short supply! I also spotted the smart lifepo battery but only the US, as soon as it was on the shop I order, which was last week I think. Anyway it arrived on Friday, still in the box and can't wait to get it in! I decided on redoing all the shoddy insulation from previous day an conversion though so will have to wait until at least next week to try out!

I did see those plugin battery monitors on the US site so surely not long to wait?!

LOL . . . turning into a Renogy FanBoy ! ? !

all you need now is Renogy Panels

Joking aside Renogy make decent kit IMHO, I've not personally tested the Lifpo4`s yet . . . but the solar and dc-dc/mttp kit is awesome and recommended.
Battery has shipped, should be with me this week

Would be interested to get your thoughts on this, a mate of mine has taken the plunge on it. Shipping in Sep. His rationale is the modular approach allowing greater flexibility. He can take in the house and use as backup in case of power cut etc. Nice feature that you can hook up old AGM batteries to it as well...

What do you reckon, worth considering?

Battery has shipped, should be with me this week

Would be interested to get your thoughts on this, a mate of mine has taken the plunge on it. Shipping in Sep. His rationale is the modular approach allowing greater flexibility. He can take in the house and use as backup in case of power cut etc. Nice feature that you can hook up old AGM batteries to it as well...

What do you reckon, worth considering?

I've been using the ALLPOWERS 372wh box and love it ( I've got two now) - Awesome 3-in-1 Battery Bank - How I done It -

and have been keeping a close eye on EcoFlow.

especially the EcoFlow Delta - Ecoflow Delta 1300 Portable Battery Generator | EU version

which has been getting brilliant reviews -

BUT the EcoFlow R600 (River) is having some teething problems . . . -

it looks like it may be firmware fixes . . . . . ?

in general the build quality looks very good . . .

there are a lot manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon now . . .

have a look at these . . .

personally im liking the:

EcoFlow Delta - just released

ALLPOWERS Monster x, - kickstarter still

and the Hyundai HPS-600 - just released

thr "problem" with all these boxes is the battery cell tech the are using !!

when you dig down into the spec sheets they are quoting 400 charge cycles . . . . not 4000 cycles like other lithiums.

so at the minuet the boxes are very expensive and they are using cheaper low cycle life cells. . . . . so if you fully used it/recharged it evey day it would last 15mnths or so . . . which is bad.

though most people wont use them that way . . . . . so hopfully will have years of fun with them.

the simple truth is that you can beet the energy density of petrol or diesel at the moment . . . . so for larger loads of +600W use a petrol genny (Honda or other)

but below the 600w mark these battery boxes are very cool.

Last edited:
I've been using the ALLPOWERS 372wh box and love it ( I've got two now) - Awesome 3-in-1 Battery Bank - How I done It -

and have been keeping a close eye on EcoFlow.

especially the EcoFlow Delta - Ecoflow Delta 1300 Portable Battery Generator | EU version

which has been getting brilliant reviews -

BUT the EcoFlow R600 (River) is having some teething problems . . . -

it looks like it may be firmware fixes . . . . . ?

in general the build quality looks very good . . .

there are a lot manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon now . . .

have a look at these . . .

personally im liking the:

EcoFlow Delta - just released

ALLPOWERS Monster x, - kickstarter still

and the Hyundai HPS-600 - just released

thr "problem" with all these boxes is the battery cell tech the are using !!

when you dig down into the spec sheets they are quoting 400 charge cycles . . . . not 4000 cycles like other lithiums.

so at the minuet the boxes are very expensive and they are using cheaper low cycle life cells. . . . . so if you fully used it/recharged it evey day it would last 15mnths or so . . . which is bad.

though most people wont use them that way . . . . . so hopfully will have years of fun with them.

the simple truth is that you can beet the energy density of petrol or diesel at the moment . . . . so for larger loads of +600W use a petrol genny (Honda or other)

but below the 600w mark these battery boxes are very cool.
Thanks, will check out the videos.

I'm just trying to understand the difference in setup really and the benefits of this versus the route I'm planning.

At the moment I've got the Renogy battery on the way, plan to get their DC-DC charger, portable solar as you suggested...

Would a power bank like this just give me more portability? Their specs mention "X-boost technology" that supposedly enables better supply to high consumption devices like microwaves and induction, is that just smoke and mirrors??

For ours needs which is just long weekends away and maybe the odd longer road trip, I'm hoping the planned setup (and the battery I just bought!) is still a sensible route...

Thanks, will check out the videos.

I'm just trying to understand the difference in setup really and the benefits of this versus the route I'm planning.

At the moment I've got the Renogy battery on the way, plan to get their DC-DC charger, portable solar as you suggested...

Would a power bank like this just give me more portability? Their specs mention "X-boost technology" that supposedly enables better supply to high consumption devices like microwaves and induction, is that just smoke and mirrors??

For ours needs which is just long weekends away and maybe the odd longer road trip, I'm hoping the planned setup (and the battery I just bought!) is still a sensible route...
Its smoke and mirrors and marketing fluff...
.you have made the right choice....

You will have way more power and capacity with your setup.

Having said that the ALLPOWERS 372wh is a great mobile companion to a leisure setup.

All these boxes have roughly 30-50% capacity of a 100ah 12v leisure battery, but smudge the numbers by quoting the 3.7v call capacity.... which reduces as they triple up internaly to get the 12v.

Dont panic, you've made the right choice.

Its smoke and mirrors and marketing fluff...
.you have made the right choice....

You will have way more power and capacity with your setup.

Having said that the ALLPOWERS 372wh is a great mobile companion to a leisure setup.

All these boxes have roughly 30-50% capacity of a 100ah 12v leisure battery, but smudge the numbers by quoting the 3.7v call capacity.... which reduces as they triple up internaly to get the 12v.

Dont panic, you've made the right choice.

Thanks buddy, that's what I needed to hear!!

I'll have a read up on them anyway as they do look interesting for other applications but will stick to the plan for the van.

Fitting the floor this weekend then it's full steam ahead on the electrics. Will give Travelvolts a shout for the other bits I need.

@Dellmassive , can I just check something out with you….?

Renogy battery arrived, Renogy DC-DC arrived and I’ve got the wiring kit (DC-DC charger Wiring kit XL. | travelvolts) and 12 way fuse box (12 way fuse box with negative rail. | travelvolts) on the way from Martyn at Travelvolts tomorrow.

So my first task is to get the ‘wiring kit’ from the starter batter through to the cab and under the driver seat and then worry about everything after that…

I’m following your ‘How I done it’ thread and as you suggested Martyn’s guide for Ctek/RedArc to get the cable through and to identify an ignition live etc. (https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d959f6_3ed319f968954720a73c38807b437278.pdf)

I had a look under the bonnet this afternoon to start to get familiar with stuff and then recalled something the dealer told me when we bought the van. He mentioned there was some extra on the vehicle spec sheet related to the electrics so just gave them a call to clarify…the sales guy couldn’t tell me much more other than “it has an electrical interface for external use with a terminal block under the drivers seat – item code IS1”… he mentioned that some people use it to power additional devices inside the cab…

Does that mean anything to you? Have attached a couple of pics from the battery compartment and the cables visible under the driver’s seat (ignore the red wires in in the trunking, they are for a set of spotlights that the pop-top roof fitter ran to there for me).

Just wondering if that might save me some work, there’s certainly no heavy duty cable under there that would be sufficient to connect starter to aux battery but not sure what I’m looking at currently already connected to the starter battery and under the seat…?

20200526_132324.jpg

20200526_132330.jpg

20200526_132338.jpg

20200526_165716.jpg

20200526_165740.jpg

1st of all . . . whats those 4x fuses for next to the starter battery for?

2nd`ly . . . ;. you need to move those "white cables" OFF the battery negative post to a proper ground point. (looks like 4x negs for the 4x fuses in point#1)

3rd . . . there doesn't look to be any 100/80A supply cables from the main battery fuse box (under the seat) . . . so you need to run in new cables.

4th . . . what the relay for next to the starter battery and that red/grey thing?

20200526_132324_LI.jpg

Back