Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

Haven't bought one yet @Dellmassive . Just reading the instructions that are on the link above to the Renogy. Looking for a lithium battery where the BMS takes care of everything, reducing the need for separate isolation and protection components. In short pure plug and play.

Haven't bought one yet @Dellmassive . Just reading the instructions that are on the link above to the Renogy. Looking for a lithium battery where the BMS takes care of everything, reducing the need for separate isolation and protection components. In short pure plug and play.
Gotcha..

Fully built in BMS .....

You need to look at the pricier range as they have built in heaters or charge protection.

I'll update the list soon to include the AI battery..

But your be looking at £1000+

I live on a narrowboat and I had a Victron lithium battery system installed a couple of years ago. I’m very happy with but they are very expensive to buy upfront. However, they work so much better in a marine application than ordinary lead acids. I’m getting a new camper next spring and the thought crossed my mind to install a scaled down version of my boat system but I’m not convinced it’s necessary as we are not likely going wild camping for more than one night we almost always stay on campsites with hookup. As battery technology goes though, LifePO4 are hard to beat IMHO

I know I am just repeating what others have said about this thread but it is brilliant. Some of it goes over my head but there is so much info in here and @Dellmassive's research and info is unbelievable - thank you.
So having read every post I have decided to upgrade the puny system I have. The Renogy 200 watt portable (just!) SPV arrived yesterday and I collected the DCC50S from the post today. Haven't got the battery yet and wondered if anyone had considered, or are using one of these: Qualitysource.co.uk: 12volt 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 HD Series.

I bought mine from Renogy after the discount ended, but asked and received 5%. Serves me right for not being decisive and buying when I first looked!

I bought mine from Renogy after the discount ended, but asked and received 5%. Serves me right for not being decisive and buying when I first looked!
yes I did the same and missed out on the discounted Renogy battery, that's why Im scouring the internet to find something a bit cheaper however I'm not sure about some of the batteries out there.

its kinda the wrong time of year to be talking about LTD (Low Temp Disconection) for Lifepo4 batteries . . .

but have a look at this option.

RV heatmats.

The idea being put one od these on each side of the battery and wrap in a battery jacket or insulation.

that should stop the battery from dropping too low in temp.

1596896982580.png

Product description

Since 2017 year we have had a good reputation. Please feel free to buy. Blesiya is getting better and better in the future!
Description:

- Designed to protect RV water holding tanks, pipes and steps from freezing.
- Provides water for RV Trailer mobile home in Winter.
- Reticular carbon fiber design provide heated evenly & efficiently.
- As long as the on/off switch is in the on position and electrical power is supplied, the thermostat will continuing cycle preventing freezing.
- Self adhesive make it easy installation, 3mm foam insulation pad, no extra facility required.
Specification:
- Material: Silicone
Size Chart:
Size: Approx. 230x130mm/9.06x5.12inch
Package Includes:
2 Pieces Water Holding Tank Heater Pad
Note:
Please allow 0.5-1 inch difference due to manual measurement.(1 inch=2.54cm)
Please check the size measurement and the picture carefully before making payment.
Please understand due to the difference between different monitors, the picture may not reflect the actual color of the item.

1596897180119.png

Is anybody aware of a lithium iron phosphate battery with an IP rating of IP65 or better?
I’m replacing my AGM that I use with a trolling motor and want to avoid an additional enclosure if possible.
I realise that the terminals will be exposed but I assume the inbuilt BMS would shutdown the battery on over current if a short circuit occurred with sea water.

I've had no issues with Renogy Customer service and technical support.

normally via email and get a response over night, so assuming USA based service.

had technical support and replacement products.

provided original purchase through authorised sellers and channels . . . ie Renogy sites or Amazon or authorised sellers.

I've had no issues with Renogy Customer service and technical support.

normally via email and get a response over night, so assuming USA based service.

had technical support and replacement products.

provided original purchase through authorised sellers and channels . . . ie Renogy sites or Amazon or authorised sellers.
Good to hear, I think I’ll be getting the 100Ah for the canoe if I can get a decent waterproof enclosure. Looking for something that will take 0.5 bar hydrostatic pressure (5m depth) in case I capsize.

100ah is a very heavy battery . . . .

i dont think any are designed to be submerged or subject to pressure.?

100ah is a very heavy battery . . . .

i dont think any are designed to be submerged or subject to pressure.?
It’s much lighter than the AGM I‘m using now. I’m planning to fit it in an enclosure to give watertight integrity and therefore it won’t be subjected to any pressure.
I don’t capsize often but when I do it’s not through choice, it will drop out with a short rope and recovery float attached.
The Renogy 100Ah should give me approx 4 hours at 5 knots with my set up, 6 hours including pubs :)

It’s much lighter than the AGM I‘m using now. I’m planning to fit it in an enclosure to give watertight integrity and therefore it won’t be subjected to any pressure.
I don’t capsize often but when I do it’s not through choice, it will drop out with a short rope and recovery float attached.
The Renogy 100Ah should give me approx 4 hours at 5 knots with my set up, 6 hours including pubs :)

thats mad . . . . i gota see a few pics of that !

Reactions: DXX
Back