Leisure battery with swivel seat

D5smith

VIP Member
Hi All,

I’m starting to look at putting an electrical system in my kombi. I’ve got captains seats in the front. I’m hoping to put the leisure battery and bits under the drivers seat but I also want to put a swivel on the drivers seat. Is this possible? As I’ve seen conflicting information.

Cheers

Hi All,

I’m starting to look at putting an electrical system in my kombi. I’ve got captains seats in the front. I’m hoping to put the leisure battery and bits under the drivers seat but I also want to put a swivel on the drivers seat. Is this possible? As I’ve seen conflicting information.

Cheers

Hi, it’s for sure possible. It’s even an OEM configuration, though I think factory always puts secondary battery under left seat, drivers or not. Few things to note:
  • Battery terminals can’t come higher than top of the seat base. In practice this means max 190mm high battery, higher ones are possible but have to be mounted on their side
  • Wires to the seat have to be attached to relatively central position and have enough slack to cope with seat back and forward movement plus any movement from swiveling. Having attachment points close to seat center helps to keep swiveling movement as short as possible.
  • Wires to the seat must not be able to interfere with battery terminals despite of the movement
  • OEM secondary battery has a thick rubber cover which helps to let wires move more freely without fear of sticking to battery terminals

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Hi All,

Cheers
Yes all possible, use a AGM or Lithium on its side to give plenty of clearance and keeps the terminals well away from metal of a swivel

Here’s what OEM secondary battery and OEM swivel look like from behind the seat. The tape roll is 19mm and sits on top of the battery protecting rubber cover, so the gap is maybe 23mm at the rear and gets tad narrower towards the front.

IMG_3770.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
Back