LED Reversing lamp under rear bumper

I used to make mountain bike lights and sell them.
that was a beam shot of one of my craziest lights though it is a tad more than 24 watts
approx 20000 lumens

here is a shot of my reversing light now its dark 12 watts and about 1500 lumens
AAF70D07-DAEE-4CDE-AA41-80F337FA8B3B.jpeg

Threads merged
Hi just wondered if anyone has fitted the small 6 inch led stick on strips under the rear bumper connected to reversing lights to assist with the poor light that comes from the one light. Any info greatly appreciated.

Labcraft Scenelite S18, costs about £52, I’ve had it fitted well over a year and it just survived severe flooding in South of France last month.
A very good reversing light.

Labcraft Scenelite S18, costs about £52, I’ve had it fitted well over a year and it just survived severe flooding in South of France last month.
Got any picks?

Any pictures of them fitted.

Here’s a few photos, some taken with the bumper off.

LED light (Labcraft Scenelite) - Positive feed spliced to the reversing lamp positive feed on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet.
Dedicated grounding point is on the nearside tailgate guide bracket bolt, shown in photo, don’t ground through the common ground wire for the light cluster as the reversing light will flash when the indicators are on!

Garmin BC30 wifi camera unit is spliced in on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet. Positive to the reversing lamp positive feed and negative to the tail light common ground. Both wires are routed up the nearside D pillar and through the tailgate via the cramped tailgate cable boot.

The reversing light is mounted on a home made bracket under the nearside rear bumper. The bracket is bolted to the thin plastic trim which gives it some shock resilience on rough roads.

9F23F7E9-C45D-4E8E-B491-B2EEF0669BEA.jpeg

B3EB192F-89C4-4B9C-A86A-4B4A5CD97467.jpeg

9503245B-EF43-473C-8D99-DFB5C241F3CD.jpeg

041EF6A1-2580-4A79-81A2-0F7B559850E6.jpeg

8D9A93EE-D0C9-4C59-95AC-CBAF42CE6721.jpeg

FE9B9E8D-AB80-4383-ABE7-DC4CAF1120A2.jpeg

ECC6C7C3-9F5B-4725-A64D-773C067FB22D.jpeg

LED light (Labcraft Scenelite) - Positive feed spliced to the reversing lamp positive feed on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet.
Dedicated grounding point is on the nearside tailgate guide bracket bolt, shown in photo, don’t ground through the common ground wire for the light cluster as the reversing light will flash when the indicators are on!

Garmin BC30 wifi camera unit is spliced in on the inboard side of the nearside tail light / body grommet. Positive to the reversing lamp positive feed and negative to the tail light common ground. Both wires are routed up the nearside D pillar and through the tailgate via the cramped tailgate cable boot.

The reversing light is mounted on a home made bracket under the nearside rear bumper. The bracket is bolted to the thin plastic trim which gives it some shock resilience on rough roads.

View attachment 54485

View attachment 54486

View attachment 54487

View attachment 54488

View attachment 54489

View attachment 54490

View attachment 54491

I struggle to get off the drive sometimes, with there being cars parked opposite and outside of my house, and the street being poorly lit by retrofitted LED street lights.

Maybe something like this light, on an independent switch, might be the solution to preventing scraping to the arches

View attachment 54485

View attachment 54486

View attachment 54487

View attachment 54488

View attachment 54489

View attachment 54490

View attachment 54491
Nice =)

I am about to have a go at under bumper LED unit rated 18W having already fitted canbus compatible bulb to n/s reversing light. Concerned about extra power draw when spliced into reversing light at loom and possible canbus error. Can anyone advise please?

Thank you. I feel more reassured that my effort will be worthwhile. Looks like same 18W light i have bought but under different name. I'd quite like to rig one to each corner but reckon thats too much load to splice into the n/s lamp cluster. Anone tried it? No problem to put standard bulb back in cluster if that LED replacement together with new under bumper LED causes error. Hopefully i can get away with both LED. Sooooo disappointed to find both front and rear lights on my T6 are dismal, making night driving and manoeuvring an absolute nightmare. My 09 T5 Kombi had way better lighting at both ends!

The photos that I posted earlier are with the Scenelight and the standard single reversing bulb. I now have dual LED reversing bulbs and the Scenelight.
I don’t think there would be any advantage to having two additional LED lights under the bumper, more than enough light available.

The photos that I posted earlier are with the Scenelight and the standard single reversing bulb. I now have dual LED reversing bulbs and the Scenelight.
I don’t think there would be any advantage to having two additional LED lights under the bumper, more than enough light available.
[/
T
Glad to hear that one LED unit fitted under bumper in middle is good. Guess it's just my OCD for symmetry in case I fit a tow bar and light then needs to be offset to one side.

Heres mine...18w wired directly into the reverse light feed. About £10 off ebay and worked fantastic. Had a new van now with LED rears and so dont need it. Where are you and you can have it if you want.20190504_165335.jpg

That's so very kind of you to offer but I have bought a new 18W LED unit. And good to see your pic with one fitted centrally with tow bar. Just waiting for some leccy bits to arrive and I'll be on it now that it seems I won't get canbus error or blown fuse. Cheers.

I bolted mine to the tow bar, no drilling obviously, the hole was already available. No errors whatsoever.

I am looking at adding an additional reversing light (for winter campsite manoeuvring). My van has the non LED light clusters with one nearside reversing light. The banksman led light I am considering fitting draws 1 amp @ 12v.

Can I safely directly spur off the existing reversing light feed? Or do I need to use a relay?
Thanks
Hi there! Adding an additional reversing light is a good idea for winter campsite manoeuvring. Since the banksman led light you're considering fitting draws 1 amp @ 12v, it should be safe to directly spur off the existing reversing light feed. However, to be on the safe side, it's always recommended to use a relay. This will ensure that the additional load of the new light does not overload the original reversing light circuit. A relay will allow the new reversing light to be powered directly from the battery, while still being activated by the original reversing light signal. I hope that helps!

Back