Leaking tailgate and sliding door

Gary_M

VIP Member
We seem to have a leaking tailgate and sliding door in our 23 plate T6.1 Transporter. I wouldn’t have expected this with a 6 week old van but reading though some threads it seems to happen…

Water seems to be passing by the seals, not a lot but enough to not want it. I know the best option would be to go back to VW but it’s difficult dropping the van off and leaving it when it’s your only vehicle and even then they could well say they can’t replicate the issue!

So, have you had this issue and how did you rectify it? Are there any seals which may perform better? Door adjustment?

Thanks all.

I caused my tailgate seal to leak by banging it on too tight after fitting carpet. I eased it back out and it sealed fine.

On a new van the seals ought to be good, so either they are all on too tight, or maybe the doors weren’t adjusted correctly before leaving the factory. Since the rubber is new, I don’t think there is anything to be gained by replacing it, and VW won’t fix it then.

Thank you, I’ll have a look at easing the seals away slightly and see if that makes a difference with the tailgate. That won’t work with the sliding door though, that may require an adjustment I guess…

Back