Leaking side windows-where does water go?

t6_tom

Sold!
T6 Pro
I have a 2016 Cali Ocean.

Both side windows are leaking - pretty much accepted that this is a reality of the design.

My actual question - is the limited amount of water that gets in a problem?

Sliding door side - water runs over the plastics and lands in the lower step bit. Don't think this is a drama

Kitchen side, water runs over the the waste water tank down the side of it. Assume it pools somewhere under the raised floor but given that its ultimately a panel van I was assuming that there is a drain hole at the bottom somewhere anyway.

Apart from on converted vans where water has got in contact with the kitchen has anyone had damage from water from the windows.

Thanks in advance.

I would only note that we were told of a converted van where the slider on the offside (the side with the furniture) had been leaking for a considerable time. The end result was damage to the wooden floor, units and fridge electrics! As our slider (nearside) window was leaking, we felt it reasonable to assume the other side was too, although it was much harder to get at thanks to the furniture placement / design.

We decided to just have the windows replaced with fixed glass! Not cheap. My advice subsequently has been to avoid the VW OE sliders because they are utterly useless, even in the latest incarnation of VW's "finest"!

In answer therefore to your question, it goes wherever it likes. There are (as I understand it) no drain holes, hidden channels or cunning tubes and slots to take the water outside.

Ply will go mouldy.
HPF furniture board will fall apart.
Ply floor will de-laminate.
Other discussions on the Forum cover potential solutions.
My advice if the van is outside is to tape over the window opening externally until you have an opportunity to repair. The more water that gets in the worse the damage will be.

I would only note that we were told of a converted van where the slider on the offside (the side with the furniture) had been leaking for a considerable time. The end result was damage to the wooden floor, units and fridge electrics! As our slider (nearside) window was leaking, we felt it reasonable to assume the other side was too, although it was much harder to get at thanks to the furniture placement / design.

We decided to just have the windows replaced with fixed glass! Not cheap. My advice subsequently has been to avoid the VW OE sliders because they are utterly useless, even in the latest incarnation of VW's "finest"!

In answer therefore to your question, it goes wherever it likes. There are (as I understand it) no drain holes, hidden channels or cunning tubes and slots to take the water outside.
I’m battling with a leaky slider, there is indeed a drain. It’s a (very narrow) slot approximately 15mm long between the fixed glass & the lower plastic runner at the drivers end of the opening. If you open the slider & look down between the glass & runner, you should be able to see daylight down the gap. I’ll get a photo tomorrow.

I’m battling with a leaky slider, there is indeed a drain. It’s a (very narrow) slot approximately 15mm long between the fixed glass & the lower plastic runner at the drivers end of the opening. If you open the slider & look down between the glass & runner, you should be able to see daylight down the gap. I’ll get a photo tomorrow.
Yes - there is that - but it just doesn't work! Someone, somewhere, posted pictures of that particular piece of appallingly bad design. Was it here? Or F/berk? Essentially there is indeed a drainage channel. Which drains through an angled collector, and exits as you note below the glass. As I recall, the problem is either that the collector doesn't seal to the channel, is actually missing (!!) or the drainage slot is blocked. Some clever chap created a connection between the channel and a pipe he installed which drained into the door, and thus to outside.

I "think" it might be in this thread? Leaking Kombi Windows? How to guide to resolve.

Maybe you've found it already, but if not it seems to have several useful pictures of how everything goes together (or not) and various ideas on fixes. My recommendation remains - replace the glass!

Last edited:
Yes - there is that - but it just doesn't work! Someone, somewhere, posted pictures of that particular piece of appallingly bad design. Was it here? Or F/berk? Essentially there is indeed a drainage channel. Which drains through an angled collector, and exits as you note below the glass. As I recall, the problem is either that the collector doesn't seal to the channel, is actually missing (!!) or the drainage slot is blocked. Some clever chap created a connection between the channel and a pipe he installed which drained into the door, and thus to outside.

I "think" it might be in this thread? Leaking Kombi Windows? How to guide to resolve.

Maybe you've found it already, but if not it seems to have several useful pictures of how everything goes together (or not) and various ideas on fixes. My recommendation remains - replace the glass!
Shocking that this issue still prevails. Unfit for purpose was never truer than with this problem. Lurking here in anticipation of moving to 6/7 Transporter from T5.1. We bought it 2015 to convert with original windows. I’d post the pictures of the inside of the Kombi on purchase but you’d freak that a 20k vehicle essentially leaks when wet. A commercial one at that. Changed the windows to aftermarket and never had a drop of water inside.

I saw on the Cali 6.1 they had dumped the sliding window in the door side. Been replaced with fixed glass. Did you fit official VW glass, I assume one of the benefits is you can get a glazed like the other panels as well.

Shocking that this issue still prevails. Unfit for purpose was never truer than with this problem. Lurking here in anticipation of moving to 6/7 Transporter from T5.1. We bought it 2015 to convert with original windows. I’d post the pictures of the inside of the Kombi on purchase but you’d freak that a 20k vehicle essentially leaks when wet. A commercial one at that. Changed the windows to aftermarket and never had a drop of water inside.

Thanks for the reply what model of glass did you use?

Thanks. I know where that channel is. Mine is currently clear. Think the leaks are currently being caused by a badly fitting window. Thanks for response.

Ply will go mouldy.
HPF furniture board will fall apart.
Ply floor will de-laminate.
Other discussions on the Forum cover potential solutions.
My advice if the van is outside is to tape over the window opening externally until you have an opportunity to repair. The more water that gets in the worse the damage will be.

Cheers. Problem is on the kitchen side I really do need a sliding window that works. It's good shout on the MDF.

The van is still under warranty, my only hesitation in sending it in is that they're just going to fit another unit which will leak.

Cheers. Problem is on the kitchen side I really do need a sliding window that works. It's good shout on the MDF.

The van is still under warranty, my only hesitation in sending it in is that they're just going to fit another unit which will leak.
If they replace it and it leaks don’t accept it.
Make sure they are aware that you won’t be accepting it until it’s had a hose pipe on it.

If they replace it and it leaks don’t accept it.
Make sure they are aware that you won’t be accepting it until it’s had a hose pipe on it.
Cheers. I would expect that they can replace it with one which doesn't leak. However six months down the line pretty sure it would start leaking again. I may be being lazy but removing the windows to clean the drains correctly and lubricating the whole thing every 6 months feels like a lot of work for something which should just work. IMO.

Hi,

I have a 17 plate Shuttle with tinted fixed panes of glass and I'm considering changing the door panes for sliding glass panels. I've heard of leaks and have not been able to pin down which models of glass have these leaks.

Am I correct in my understanding that it is only VW OEM glass which suffers from water ingress to the cabin? I was considering an aftermarket seller who fits on their site.

One thing of concern also is security, do these sliding glass panes make the vehicle less secure?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Hi,

I have a 17 plate Shuttle with tinted fixed panes of glass and I'm considering changing the door panes for sliding glass panels. I've heard of leaks and have not been able to pin down which models of glass have these leaks.

Am I correct in my understanding that it is only VW OEM glass which suffers from water ingress to the cabin? I was considering an aftermarket seller who fits on their site.

One thing of concern also is security, do these sliding glass panes make the vehicle less secure?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.
I think pretty much all flush fit sliding windows leak. I've done a lot of searching and I cant find any that dont have problems. I've not looked too closely at the recessed sliders.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't realised there were flush and recessed, I thought they were all recessed.

Back