Kombi Interior To Caravelle Executive?

gmaster

T6 Pro
Hi All - When I spec’ed my van from new I ordered it with rear windows factory fitted. I’ve since been informed that it is likely that I have a shuttle / Caravelle shell on a T32 chassis.

My questions are:

1. How hard would it be to fit a T6 Caravelle interior (crash damaged / breaking).

2. What problems am I likely to encounter?

3. Has anyone done it before?

Thanks in advance.

Provided you have a glazed tailgate also then you have pretty much all the fixing holes/slots etc
Think you may need to rivot a couple OE metal plates to hold the C pillars in place etc but pretty straight forward, the hardest bit will be finding a complete interior that all matches
Just check you have the little grooves around your rear windows as this is what the trims locate onto

1, easy, you just need deep pockets.

2, none as long as you have a SWB twin sliding doors and a tailgate.

3, there are a few of us with floor rails, door cards, sliding door cards etc, etc

Provided you have a glazed tailgate also then you have pretty much all the fixing holes/slots etc
Think you may need to rivot a couple OE metal plates to hold the C pillars in place etc but pretty straight forward, the hardest bit will be finding a complete interior that all matches
Just check you have the little grooves around your rear windows as this is what the trims locate onto

Pauly, thanks for the quick reply.

I do have a glazed tailgate and the fixing slots around the rear windows, which is a result!

Do you know if / where I can get an exploded diagram of the Caravelle?

I’ll document it as I’m doing it and put it on the forum when it’s done.

Not aware of one in the style your thinking of
ETKA diagrams are very sectional ie one illustration for SLD another for rear quarter another for tailgate etc etc and it only generally shows one side (near side) with a list of parts saying left or right

Pauly, thanks for the quick reply.

I do have a glazed tailgate and the fixing slots around the rear windows, which is a result!

Do you know if / where I can get an exploded diagram of the Caravelle?

I’ll document it as I’m doing it and put it on the forum when it’s done.
1, easy, you just need deep pockets.

2, none as long as you have a SWB twin sliding doors and a tailgate.

3, there are a few of us with floor rails, door cards, sliding door cards etc, etc

1. I don’t have deep pockets, but I may have found a complete interior from a damaged van for a good price! (Fingers crossed I get it)!

2. I do have twin sliders.

3. I have the rails and seats in place already and asked them to fit an original floor and not to cut the fixing points off the steps. Hopefully this will help the fixing of the interior.

Do you think I need to reclassify the van once it’s complete?

Not aware of one in the style your thinking of
ETKA diagrams are very sectional ie one illustration for SLD another for rear quarter another for tailgate etc etc and it only generally shows one side (near side) with a list of parts saying left or right
I’ll see if I can source the diagrams and maybe put together a pdf file for the download section if you want it?

Just on with this at the moment, did you get yours done @gmaster ?

@Pauly , did you manage to get the diagrams?

I've still not really progressed with mine due to my Mother passing away. It's still on my list of things to do, but my head is a bit fried at the moment. I am seriously contemplating paying someone to do it!

Please let me / us know how you get on. Good luck!

My condolences @gmaster

So I thought "lets do the easy bit first...the doors".
On the sliding doors the bottom half went on a treat, make sure you get the 3 little clips in the middle, they really pull the middle of the panel in, then I discovered my first issue. Because I've got wide wheels on the back the panel catches on them, so it's a struggle to fully open the door, but it opens enough. I then went on to install the lower panel on the other sliding door and discovered another issue, the panels have roller blinds in them but the cover strip on the roller blind was for a non-opening window on this side, I have opening windows in both sliding doors, so I had to buy a new cover strip, fit that to the bling and the blind back to the panel before finally fitting it to the door. I then moved on to the trim around the windows, which are held on with some funky little clips, I had to remove the trim cover from the top of the opening window frame as it isn't required, but but because I have opening windows I struggled to get the clips into the recess, so had to modify the clips (4 on each door) to get them, by cutting off 2mm and re-bending (I'll take a pic and post it). Once all the clips were in it snapped into place, however as with the second lower panel, the trim on the second door was for a non-opening window, so had to get one for an opening window. Lastly was the rim around the door handle (it's different to the Kombi one), I found it was best to install the plastic button top on the lock thingy before the trim, the trim also has a tiny screw and cap behind the handle (had to get the screw from VW).

Lesson learnt: Makes the panels you buy are for the window type (opening/non-opening) you have.

Sliding doors done.

Last edited:
Also had to remove the cover trim on top of the opening window frame before fitting the trim clips as it isn't required.

Photos of the trim clip, tiny screw and blind trim cover:

Also had to remove the cover trim on top of the opening window frame before fitting the trim clips as it isn't required.

Photos of the trim clip, tiny screw and blind trim cover:
Sorry to dig up an old post but I’ve just had (aftermarket) sliding windows fitted by my shuttle. I’m in need of a small trim piece to fit between the sliding window and the blind cassette ad the original (non sliding) trim is too big. Does anyone know of part numbers/a solution before I trim the the part? Thank you

My condolences @gmaster

So I thought "lets do the easy bit first...the doors".
On the sliding doors the bottom half went on a treat, make sure you get the 3 little clips in the middle, they really pull the middle of the panel in, then I discovered my first issue. Because I've got wide wheels on the back the panel catches on them, so it's a struggle to fully open the door, but it opens enough. I then went on to install the lower panel on the other sliding door and discovered another issue, the panels have roller blinds in them but the cover strip on the roller blind was for a non-opening window on this side, I have opening windows in both sliding doors, so I had to buy a new cover strip, fit that to the bling and the blind back to the panel before finally fitting it to the door. I then moved on to the trim around the windows, which are held on with some funky little clips, I had to remove the trim cover from the top of the opening window frame as it isn't required, but but because I have opening windows I struggled to get the clips into the recess, so had to modify the clips (4 on each door) to get them, by cutting off 2mm and re-bending (I'll take a pic and post it). Once all the clips were in it snapped into place, however as with the second lower panel, the trim on the second door was for a non-opening window, so had to get one for an opening window. Lastly was the rim around the door handle (it's different to the Kombi one), I found it was best to install the plastic button top on the lock thingy before the trim, the trim also has a tiny screw and cap behind the handle (had to get the screw from VW).

Lesson learnt: Makes the panels you buy are for the window type (opening/non-opening) you have.

Sliding doors done.
hi ,I have purchased a caravelle interior also, from a dealer who said it would all fit! Im having similar issues which I'm starting to regret as its very time consuming and challenging. firstly congratulations that you actually succeeded as it certainly not an easy conversion from kombi to caravelle. im not sure its worth it but maybe you can help.
the drivers side sliding door blind as you found is for a fixed window and the window trim is too wide so I will have to locate one but how did you modify the blind as this is also too wide , or did you purchase the slimmer one?

oh yes it looks as though the top strip of the roller blind may come off
do you have the part no for the cover strip and sliding window trim
I also only have the smaller internal door lock on the sliding door handles
did you have to replace those too
thanks

@Fitzy76 may i ask for your assistance, I've noticed my off side sliding door panel is the same as youre, no sliding window! however i have a sliding window. with regards to the trim for the roller blind, can you buy the trim separate or is it a case of source another door card and sap the parts?

Back