Caravelle/Shuttle interior into Kombi?

RobFlynn

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Before I get carried away, does anyone know how much of the rear Caravelle or Shuttle interior will drop straight into a Kombi single slider or any modifications needed? Obviously there is the issue from the lack of an O/S door and I can see from other threads that the N/S door panel will fit fine. What is the situation with C pillar trims? Are the B pillar trims different?

Thanks

Before I get carried away, does anyone know how much of the rear Caravelle or Shuttle interior will drop straight into a Kombi single slider or any modifications needed? Obviously there is the issue from the lack of an O/S door and I can see from other threads that the N/S door panel will fit fine. What is the situation with C pillar trims? Are the B pillar trims different?

Thanks
The sliding door cards fit.

The floor is much thicker so all the plastics that go down to the floor will be short. You'll be missing a few brackets and holes that will need drilling in to body. The B and C pillars are wider so you'll need to replace the rubber trim around the door. The tops of the B, C and D pillars are different so you'll also need to replace the roof lining. With a new roof lining you'll need to replace the A pillars and also the center cubby hole :cry:

I'm guessing you have a Kombi but want to buy a cheap Shuttle interior and pop it in your existing van?
If not have you just considered just buying a Shuttle?
There are downsides, like the roof lining makes a camper conversation a little more hassle and some converters won't touch it, but you get a car instead of a comie vehicle so can drive a bit faster.

I do see a few interiors come up, so you could just buy one and see how it goes? You can fettle the smaller panels easily it they need adjustment to fit.

I’m considering a ludicrous project that is building something very close to an OEM camper but with left hand slider. I’ve figured out I need a Cali Beach Tour interior. Can’t find one anywhere.

This is really a reply to your first question I started my Kombi to caravelle conversion last year, and still finding out new things what’s needed and doubt very much I’ll finish off the job completely! There is a lot to do. I don’t really recommend it as you will have to make compromises
All that Deaky as said and more.
I had purchased the caravelle interior before any research lesson no 1!
Started well with A pillars, front door cards and twin sliding door trim and cards
Problems with seat belt buckles on bpillars
(Will need shuttle ones)
The roof lining needs trimming to fit in the rear panels where the windows should be
The wiring harness for the interior lights is different, only two out of the four are operating, can’t get the front centre console lights to work and no alarm as yet (auto electrician required) rear speakers need to be wired and 12V sockets
C pillars don’t fit requires new holes for the seatbelt buckle
Then there’s the floor as Deaky stated needs to be raised really but can’t use the Kombi seats then
It just goes on and on and theres the cost also.
The original reason was to replace the cheap hardboard panels and to avoid carpet lining.
it is of course all possible with time and money , there is a very good thread Kombi to caravelle done a few years ago.
I’m committed to finish it now,
Good luck

Thanks Dave. If I bother with any of this it will be a full camper conversion so the Beach Tour (twin slider with pop top) seems like the best donor. I’d be fitting seat/bed rails so the floor height will be taken car of anyway. Just the O/S window aperture that would need fudging due to not being in a door.

I was thinking a left slider would be better than right with having young kids and the issue with them getting out into the road but I’ve had to park a few times in layouts where you’d have to climb into a headgear to get out of the side door anyway - the only solution being to park facing oncoming traffic and get out into the road anyway!

Back