Kombi Day Van Ideas

My steel frame is out at the minute, everything with mine was made so I can handle it on my own, agree with @Big.mac it takes up too much room when in the garage so I’m going to hinge the legs so they fold flat for storage.
It’s easier getting the bed out than the seats!!!!!

I’ve got two rows of seats in the back of the van which fold down.

Has anyone put a bed across both seats i.e. just a small platform, 600mm (ish) deep, in the very back of the van, with the mattress resting on the backs of the two rows of seats?

Ian

I am in the process of building a bed for our Kombi. I have built a basic open box for the boot out of 18mm birch ply. I am now in the process of making filler panels for the sides (to go over the wheel arches), and after that the fold out bed base.
Been trying to find a good solution for a mattress. Previously we used "Cushion Creator", in our Caddy Maxi Life, and they produced a fantastic quality bespoke product, but the larger size of the T6 is too expensive. After a bit of searching we found these Thermarest mattresses which can join together and fit perfectly. They aren't cheap but are cheaper than our other preferred option and they are relatively compact to store.20200314_111805.jpg

I am in the process of building a bed for our Kombi. I have built a basic open box for the boot out of 18mm birch ply. I am now in the process of making filler panels for the sides (to go over the wheel arches), and after that the fold out bed base.
Been trying to find a good solution for a mattress. Previously we used "Cushion Creator", in our Caddy Maxi Life, and they produced a fantastic quality bespoke product, but the larger size of the T6 is too expensive. After a bit of searching we found these Thermarest mattresses which can join together and fit perfectly. They aren't cheap but are cheaper than our other preferred option and they are relatively compact to store.View attachment 63048

Are these the Thermarest Dreamtime mattresses?

Are you supporting the itch ply on the underside or are you finding it takes the weight okay without too much flex?

I’m doing something similar but have some aluminium box section to sure it up.

I have made the bed base shown from 12mm birch ply, but plan is to laminate more ply to the underside in full width strips to build up the strength. The box is 122cm wide so 12mm ply is not strong enough on its own and is too flexible. Its a balance of making it strong enough whilst trying to keep the weight to a minimum. Lots of cutting and gluing.....

I have made the bed base shown from 12mm birch ply, but plan is to laminate more ply to the underside in full width strips to build up the strength. The box is 122cm wide so 12mm ply is not strong enough on its own and is too flexible. Its a balance of making it strong enough whilst trying to keep the weight to a minimum. Lots of cutting and gluing.....

could you fit a vertical beam underneath albeit will reduce storage height?

You could notch the side pieces and drop a cross beam in. Even make it from ply like some of the bought set ups.

That is one of the options which I am considering. Hope to get more building done at the weekend and will update...

That is one of the options which I am considering. Hope to get more building done at the weekend and will update...
Maybe you could bolt some ally extrusion to the bottom of the bed? Will only come down about 50mm, nice and light, 3 off them across it would be more than enough?

Back