Kombi Day Van Ideas

RedUn

Kombi... work in progress
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Evening!

So after fiddling a lot with the van this year its time to start prepping properly for day van usage :thumbsup:

I'm still reading a lot at the moment to work out my plans of what to do and what to avoid but while I do that I thought I'd put something on here...

So my question is, what are the best day van mods you've done and what could you skip if you did it again?

Currently nailed on, is c rail and airbeam awning. 95% on a diesel heater too.

Thinking about removable beds? Slide pod type jobbies? door stores? solar? Leisure batteries? Anything I've not thought about? I've never done this before so it will be my first day van :cool:

Cheers all!

Last edited:
As for removable beds,

for our Kombi we have this - for now... used it all last year and was brilliant!! bought a vango self inflating airbed to go with it for extra comfort

£99.00 Bed That Fits A Swb Kombi Perfectly
Not a bad solution and definitely cheaper than some of the off the shelf kombi beds too!

I'm considering boxing the rear arches to create some storage space and then making something fancy so that it becomes the bed frame also?

Not a bad solution and definitely cheaper than some of the off the shelf kombi beds too!

I'm considering boxing the rear arches to create some storage space and then making something fancy so that it becomes the bed frame also?
that is a popular option for sure... to make it come flush with your Kombi rear bench when thats folded flat is also an idea.... I had all good planning of doing exactly that, but i dont want the seats in when were camping and so the ikea bed just was the right thing to do for the price !!! My future bed will be in the shape of a Hilo Pop Top Roof.... in about 7 years when i have 7k !!!!

If I was going to do a day van, 100% diesel heater, DC-DC battery charger, leisure battery and lots of USBs.

Oh, and as you’ve twin captain’s seats, swivel bases would be good.

that is a popular option for sure... to make it come flush with your Kombi rear bench when thats folded flat is also an idea.... I had all good planning of doing exactly that, but i dont want the seats in when were camping and so the ikea bed just was the right thing to do for the price !!! My future bed will be in the shape of a Hilo Pop Top Roof.... in about 7 years when i have 7k !!!!
That's what I was thinking so it comes level with the folded kombi seat :thumbsup:

We need the rear seats in for our trips, pop top would be nice I agree but how much :eek::D

If I was going to do a day van, 100% diesel heater, DC-DC battery charger, leisure battery and lots of USBs.

Oh, and as you’ve twin captain’s seats, swivel bases would be good.
Been looking at the planar heater with the remote turn on so I can turn it on 5 miles away when I'm soaked on my bike :D

Been looking at the planar heater with the remote turn on so I can turn it on 5 miles away when I'm soaked on my bike :D

Great idea. I hear good things about the Planar.

I’ve gone for Webasto with the digital 7 day timer. It’s so economical to run I set it to come on half an hour before departure in the winter. :thumbsup:

It’s externally mounted with the inlet from the driver’s step and the outlet behind the driver’s seat, on the floor. Pretty quiet in operation once it’s up to temp, and the fan speed slows down.

Thought about that too, you can buy similar off the shelf. I think I'll be doing something more subtle with clever storage for the bed system... I just don't know what yet :D

I had the same bright idea but by the time you've loaded the bike and kit back in the van all the warm air has escaped! Having said that it's still flipping brilliant and Mrs WheelieBealie absolutely loves it :)

I had the same bright idea but by the time you've loaded the bike and kit back in the van all the warm air has escaped! Having said that it's still flipping brilliant and Mrs WheelieBealie absolutely loves it :)
Nooo ill have to fit a curtain or something across to stop it, I do a lot of night riding and the thought of a toasty warm van is just too much :D

Just had a Webasto heater fitted with the app connect for my phone.
Early days but seems to work a treat. :)

upload_2020-2-17_19-57-48.jpeg

Some scrap box section and a sheet of 20mm ply.......was a short term fix that lasted longer, self inflating mattress and we are good to go.
I will get round to prettying it up one day

View attachment 60890

Some scrap box section and a sheet of 20mm ply.......was a short term fix that lasted longer, self inflating mattress and we are good to go.
I will get round to prettying it up one day
Nice work, I was thinking of stacking up some storage boxes with all my camping stuff etc to the same height as the folded seats. Then chuck in a blowup mattress on that

Back