Kombi Day Van Ideas

upload_2020-2-17_20-16-18.jpeg

It works well as it is, the frame is bolted into tie down points and the ply has 4 locating tabs and lifts out easy enough, I can’t decide if I should fit a pair of gas struts to it and hinge it or make a sliding box, can guarantee the wife would over load that though lol, originally I had the base full width but what a b@#£d it was to get out on my own.
Needs a night heater, leisure battery + hook up and swivel seat bases

I did our deck a bit lower as ply on CLS but we have a LWB giving a bit more scope for length and as its just the dog and the wife we can leave the kombi seats at home when we go away.
Full depth Ikea king size memory foam mattress from the bargain area as the most comfortable option, (cut in half width wise to allow stacking). Mains hook up, solar and leisure battery with DC to DC charger. Just finishing adding to the sockets and lights i fitted last spring as I have taken the panels out as I start the lining.
No blown air heater but we do have a £10 fan heater for when we are on the mains.
Outwell compressor fridge cool box, fantastic chilled wine and beer and will run off the leisure battery for up to 3 days from fully charged.
Table on B pillar to allow laptop as screen for wet eve entertainment and putting the stove on to make the tea in the morning, or swinging it out to act as a beer table on fine eve's.
Swivels on both front seats.
We may get a rock & roll bed (full width) to save taking the seats in and out. Going to look at the Cambee ones tomorrow.

View attachment 60891

It works well as it is, the frame is bolted into tie down points and the ply has 4 locating tabs and lifts out easy enough, I can’t decide if I should fit a pair of gas struts to it and hinge it or make a sliding box, can guarantee the wife would over load that though lol, originally I had the base full width but what a b@#£d it was to get out on my own.
Needs a night heater, leisure battery + hook up and swivel seat bases
Looks nice and cosy! Have you looked at a c rail to go with that? Plan to start my build in 2 months, I'm going to try and do some sketches soon, may do the electrics if I get chance :thumbsup:

I did our deck a bit lower as ply on CLS but we have a LWB giving a bit more scope for length and as its just the dog and the wife we can leave the kombi seats at home when we go away.
Full depth Ikea king size memory foam mattress from the bargain area as the most comfortable option, (cut in half width wise to allow stacking). Mains hook up, solar and leisure battery with DC to DC charger. Just finishing adding to the sockets and lights i fitted last spring as I have taken the panels out as I start the lining.
No blown air heater but we do have a £10 fan heater for when we are on the mains.
Outwell compressor fridge cool box, fantastic chilled wine and beer and will run off the leisure battery for up to 3 days from fully charged.
Table on B pillar to allow laptop as screen for wet eve entertainment and putting the stove on to make the tea in the morning, or swinging it out to act as a beer table on fine eve's.
Swivels on both front seats.
We may get a rock & roll bed (full width) to save taking the seats in and out. Going to look at the Cambee ones tomorrow.
I like the sound of the beer table! :cool:

Do you have any pics of your setup? They'd be appreciated by loads of us I'm sure :)

Van's apart at the moment when I get it together I will take some more pictures. Basically it can swing through 180 degrees and with the front passenger seat swiveled it acts as a great personal table. You can then remove it from the bracket and store it flat under the R&R bed.

I too like you looked every where for a low cost solution but it came down to functionality (it’s only got 4 bolts that hold it in so can be removed quickly)
It’s my first van and wanted a more luxurious feel (silly me) so fitted the tailgate trim (that hurt my pocket) :cry::cry:

I decided I’m going to build mine out of poplar ply and aluminium. Got the ply side sections made and this bolt down. They’re dead parallel so I can fit a large pull out tray under the platform.

hopefully get back on it this week and get some Formica in the ply.

View attachment 61791
That's what I'm thinking + boxing arches in at the same time

Just an idea ......but if you cover ur arches you cut down on stowage space ....I use the space to stow me flag poles and long objects when out camping. Every little helps

Have looked into them too, they look OK don't they, there's some metal framed similar versions knocking about too:thumbsup:
The downside of the metal framed ones (apart from the price) is they aren’t as easy to remove and when not in the van they take up a fair bit of room. The wooden version stores flat so takes up less room when not in the van. In my experience the metal framed ones never get taken out of the van once fitted ‘cos it’s too much faff. If you don’t plan on taking it out, it’s a decent option.

Just an idea ......but if you cover ur arches you cut down on stowage space ....I use the space to stow me flag poles and long objects when out camping. Every little helps
I was gonna build some storage into the arches, main reason really is that it looks neat and I can sound deaden some more :D

The downside of the metal framed ones (apart from the price) is they aren’t as easy to remove and when not in the van they take up a fair bit of room. The wooden version stores flat so takes up less room when not in the van. In my experience the metal framed ones never get taken out of the van once fitted ‘cos it’s too much faff. If you don’t plan on taking it out, it’s a decent option.
Bloody good point that!!

We sound proofed first ( cold night used hot air gun .....wear gloves stops the black stuff on your hands) then got trimmer to cover with carpet stuff ......then build your frame it will look neat and tidy
0A81F965-89B1-4572-BDC7-6DB5B7476316.jpeg

I’m going to cut sections out of the ply sides for access to jack on one side and a bit of stowage one the other. Will post pics this week when a bit more complete. The advantage of the arches being boxed to the height of the platform is that it can fold over without hitting the van sides and also slide out easily ...if that makes sense...

Back