Kombi Day Van Ideas

I'll you posted on the diesel heater saga...

Yes agreed there, I've got to sort electrics and heater first, the dash is a nice to have a later date as nice as it is!

Hopefully get the electrics ordered this week :thumbsup:

@travelvolts Is you’re man

Figured I should update this after a few months, it's not moved that fast but it's on the way, slowly...its been more like a collection of stuff that's gathered over the last few months.

So the lockdown means the vans not moving much, a good excuse to take it to bits again. My plan is to work backwards inside the van, it's as much fun working on the van as it is planning it for me so that's kinda the theme at the minute.

So at the weekend, out came the passenger seat and lower dash on the passenger side. Out came the kenwood 8019 for an hour or two and then it went back in connected to a kenwood 400w mini amp and a shed load of speaker cable routed via the passenger A pillar and through the forward headlining to the B pillar where it sits waiting for the next job... They'll connect upto some Eton coaxials that'll sit in pods up in the top corners in the back, of course they had to match the etons in the front. I can say the front sounds great now, looking forward to getting the rears up and running.

At the same time, I routed in the power cable and temp fitted the leisure battery in the passenger seat base, installed the ctek 250se, connected it up and dc dc charging works a treat. Next job is wiring in the din connector which will be the solar panel input to the ctek from the folding panel I've got, well under the ctek voltage limits, should be plenty for what I need, after all its a stealth day van not full blown camper.

Outstanding bits for this week then include wiring in the fuse box, working out where to put the din input (under the seat, B pillar, one of the rear panels are all options at the mo) so I can test the solar input on the ctek and then planning where the double usbs sockets will go, probably opposite panel to sliding door to cover 2nd row of seats and one high up on the passenger side in the rear so we can charge phones when sleeping etc also got a 12v outlet for the compressors fridge, likely to go somewhere near the passenger rear arch, again need to think, arches possibly will box to add some neat storage.

Things still to decide... Which diesel heater, still no closer, would be nice to get that ordered in the next month. Also rear lighting setup, 6 spots on the courtesy circuit and ambient off the leisure? Also need some off the leisure in the tailgate for loading and unloading in the dark, hmm, that could be a strip light, will have to think.

That's about it for now more coming at some point...

Thanks to travelvolts for electrics and to absolute5 for audio gear :thumbsup:

Forgot to add, fitted a reimo B pillar swing out table! Comes in handy as a beer holder when working on the van :whistle:

Small update, maybe slightly interesting for other stealth day van nutters. Made this panel earlier, sits under the front of the passenger seat. It's got a din input for the folding solar panels and the socket for the on board ctek 240v battery charger. 20210131_214335.jpg

@RedUn great to see the progress, I feel like I’m at the start of a the same journey! I went for the Valuframe bed idea from earlier in the thread if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like/cost.

Just a question on that last photo, the 12v is for charging the battery with your panel, am I correct that the 240 connection also charges it, is that a mod you’ve done to the CTEK? What does the plug go into ? (Is it into the CTEK and the plug is to your mains)

@RedUn great to see the progress, I feel like I’m at the start of a the same journey! I went for the Valuframe bed idea from earlier in the thread if anyone is interested in seeing what it looks like/cost.

Just a question on that last photo, the 12v is for charging the battery with your panel, am I correct that the 240 connection also charges it, is that a mod you’ve done to the CTEK? What does the plug go into ? (Is it into the CTEK and the plug is to your mains)
Hi Jot, my van is just about finished now so I should update this really with some more details!

Get some pics of your bed setup posted, always useful for future to see what others have done and how they've done it :thumbsup:

Yep so the 12v din is directly from a 120w folding panel. Normally I just throw it on the dash when the vans not being used and it keeps both batteries topped up, when camping I get it out and get put it on the grass normally, works a treat.

The 240v goes to another ctek which is on the input to the dc ctek. I've got it wired so that it's starter battery priority and then from that the dc ctek will charge up the leisure once the starter battery is topped up.

Hope that makes sense, drop me a PM if you need some help :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info!
I went for the valuframe aluminium bed. Series 6 which is pretty heavy duty. Cost around £300 for the frame and another £80 for wood (adding auto carpet as well at the moment). It can bed used when packing as a shelf ( the remaining board tuck behind the rear seats) and then fully down as a comfortable bed (with a SIM mattress on it)

22029A28-948E-4A53-AC22-0EE0A3284EB1.jpegD9A10B65-418A-4FC0-A26E-5F2EA2F63634.jpeg

Depends on the mounts for the kayak holder/rack but yes possible.
You could always have the solar panel moved to one side if kayaks or other racks are used frequently.

Back