Day Van - Options

JRM

We're pretty much ready to get our van! At the moment this is a T28 SWB 150DSG 72reg Panel Van with three seats in the front, and a tailgate. It is completely bare inside, no flooring, wall panels or anything.

The plan is where we are going round in circles a bit, and some input would be appreciated. There are three of us, my wife and I and our 5 year old. These are my ideas:
1) 150 rib bed and one small pod behind the drivers seat to house (hopefully) a small sink and a portaloo. Then our boy can sleep on the front seats on a small front seat bed
2) One small pod behind the drivers seat to house (hopefully) a small sink and a portaloo, then a purpose built (probably by me) sideways chair - that folds/slides out into a bed. This would have some storage underneath.

In the first instance I think I will be handing the van over to the converters to insulate, and line the rear cargo area, and possibly install the small pod. Not interested in fridge, or cooking area, but we do want a table somewhere - I'm hoping it could fit onto the small pod. So initially we will use the van by chucking a mattress in the back and sleeping on that. This will hopefully focus us on what is important - i.e. how we ultimately use the van.

I can see benefits to both systems - the 1st option will allow us to carry more passengers, but we'll be sitting facing forwards and I quite like the idea of sitting sideways when parked up - more like a caravan. The 2nd option will allow more floor space (I think) when the bed is not made up. Also, would a front seat bed work with only two captains chairs instead of the bench and drivers seat arrangement?

We are also thinking of not installing side windows at all - is this a mistake or a good idea? Once we've been out a few times it will become evident I suppose, but good to plan ahead a bit when doing the initial lining and insulation?

I am competent at cabinetry/bed making etc, but I’m struggling to see how to attach the bed to the van structure - I’m used to brickwork! How would this work, is there any information available? Especially as this sort of thing would be fitted after the walls and flooring is in, if that makes a difference?

Finally, I’d really like a side awning, what are these like to have on the van permanently - noisy, awkward at all?

Thanks in advance for all your ideas/help. I have lost count of the number of van interior pictures I’ve looked at, I’m slightly overwhelmed!

I like windows in ours.

Bed style is the main choice. Three seats is fine but you then can’t take the lad out on a birthday trip with his mates. On the other hand, you have more layout options if you don’t need travelling seats.

Welcome. There's loads of great minds on here and pictures of different layouts in the rear of the vans. Insulation and sound deadening is easy to do yourself. I have a steel bed which attaches to the load points in the rear but looking at some other companies who produce timber bed/storage units, they also use the load points. You may even be able to replicate Ovano style bed units.

If you intend to spend time in the van, rain wind cold weather or just chilling with a drink in the evenings the windows will definitely be a good option.

I like windows in ours.

Bed style is the main choice. Three seats is fine but you then can’t take the lad out on a birthday trip with his mates. On the other hand, you have more layout options if you don’t need travelling seats.
Agreed, our 130 rock n roll bed gives 6 belted seats in total.
Also we have never used our sink or portapotty in 4 years of ownership.

You can use the floor lashings points to tie your bed to the floor…..and you could fit an awning C rail ( or 2 ) so be able to attach a canopy or awning tent.. we only fitted a swivel to the passengers seat as ours is a Kombi….but you’ve got lots of choices

happy camping . :)

ps …. If not in a hurry why not drop in at Bala camp in May to get some ideas

1D532C35-C27E-4561-8747-B16B50C80AA5.png32E60B11-9FFF-41B4-9F14-119E5E01A2FA.png

Last edited:
Bear in mind the front bench seat isn’t that comfortable and as your lad gets older (bigger) it’s a bit of a squeeze with 3 up front.

Definitely put windows in and then fit some VanShade blinds or something. Best of both worlds then :)

Thanks for all the information, naturally it just makes me have more confusion/ideas!

One thing i didn't think about initially, do i need to inform insurance if i add extra seats ie 150 rib bed? Same question then for the DIY seats if they wont be travelled in?

Is there a gallery of ideas on here, or literally just look through threads and find pictures?

Thanks

You can use the floor lashings points to tie your bed to the floor…..and you could fit an awning C rail ( or 2 ) so be able to attach a canopy or awning tent.. we only fitted a swivel to the passengers seat as ours is a Kombi….but you’ve got lots of choices

ps …. If not in a hurry why not drop in at Bala camp in May to get some ideas
How do the floor lashings work though, would i bolt things to them?

Could i pop to Bala for a day visit, or have to stay? Only in Aber so not far

Thanks

How do the floor lashings work though, would i bolt things to them?

Could i pop to Bala for a day visit, or have to stay? Only in Aber so not far

Thanks
The lashing points use an M10 bolt….the captive nut is welded under the floor …see picture ….that’s how it looks once removed

re. Bala …give them a ring … see details on post…Annual T6F Pilgrimage To Bala Lake - Spring 2023

34602BD2-3422-4128-A84F-1C936E9D003D.jpeg

Have a look at the egoe range.
Thanks, they do look like a viable option too
The lashing points use an M10 bolt….the captive nut is welded under the floor …see picture ….that’s how it looks once removed

re. Bala …give them a ring … see details on post…Annual T6F Pilgrimage To Bala Lake - Spring 2023

View attachment 191517
Thanks for that. I appreciate that as soon as actually have the van it will become obvious - i just like to try and plan ahead.

Another few questions please:

Looking at a 130 rib bed. Can you get any cabinets/cupboards that fit with a 130 bed, or is it going to be too narrow? Not bothered at all about worktops - as long as we can have a fold away table somewhere.

Can we have a pod (as described above) in front of the bed, and directly behind the drivers seat, that can house both a toilet (stored and pulled out for use) and a sink?

Thanks. Think its about three weeks now until we can collect the van! Its becoming real, fast....

Don’t have the answers….but you can end up making costly mistakes if the setup doesn’t quite work for you….I did loads of research first and ending up using a Slidepod….but I’ve got a Kombi so it works for me …we just transport our PortaPotti tied down and once camping use the tent to store in ( hardly use it as most camping sites have great facilities ) we soon learned that you can’t fit everything in a small van….

but there’s just a few…

so many options…..but it’s what works for you……do your homework and spend wisely :)

Thanks, Problem with lots of research is you go round and round in circles, there's too many options!

I think we're going to insulate, line and carpet - add heater and then just use it with a mattress, and see how we get on, with the intention of seeing how we go/what we think we need after having a bit of use. Sound reasonable, is there anything that i havent thought of first?!

Thanks again

Thanks, Problem with lots of research is you go round and round in circles, there's too many options!

I think we're going to insulate, line and carpet - add heater and then just use it with a mattress, and see how we get on, with the intention of seeing how we go/what we think we need after having a bit of use. Sound reasonable, is there anything that i havent thought of first?!

Thanks again
Very sensible. I’d seriously consider putting some basic 12/240v electrics in before you start insulating/lining. It’ll be a PITA to do afterwards.

Thanks for all the information, naturally it just makes me have more confusion/ideas!

One thing i didn't think about initially, do i need to inform insurance if i add extra seats ie 150 rib bed? Same question then for the DIY seats if they wont be travelled in?

Is there a gallery of ideas on here, or literally just look through threads and find pictures?

Thanks
DVLA if they are travelling seats, easy to do.

And yes, insurance. But belted seats only.

Shouldn't be an issue unless you go above 8 or 9 seats I think?

Inofia make fairly inexpensive folding foam mattresses as recommended by another forum member.

Thanks for all the info and options everyone. Like the u shaped seating, also like the idea of seats down one side with a table. Now i just need to decide whether to do it all myself, or pay to have it done quicker so we can actually use it sooner, once i've decided on which layout of course!

We're pretty much ready to get our van! At the moment this is a T28 SWB 150DSG 72reg Panel Van with three seats in the front, and a tailgate. It is completely bare inside, no flooring, wall panels or anything.

The plan is where we are going round in circles a bit, and some input would be appreciated. There are three of us, my wife and I and our 5 year old. These are my ideas:
1) 150 rib bed and one small pod behind the drivers seat to house (hopefully) a small sink and a portaloo. Then our boy can sleep on the front seats on a small front seat bed
2) One small pod behind the drivers seat to house (hopefully) a small sink and a portaloo, then a purpose built (probably by me) sideways chair - that folds/slides out into a bed. This would have some storage underneath.

In the first instance I think I will be handing the van over to the converters to insulate, and line the rear cargo area, and possibly install the small pod. Not interested in fridge, or cooking area, but we do want a table somewhere - I'm hoping it could fit onto the small pod. So initially we will use the van by chucking a mattress in the back and sleeping on that. This will hopefully focus us on what is important - i.e. how we ultimately use the van.

I can see benefits to both systems - the 1st option will allow us to carry more passengers, but we'll be sitting facing forwards and I quite like the idea of sitting sideways when parked up - more like a caravan. The 2nd option will allow more floor space (I think) when the bed is not made up. Also, would a front seat bed work with only two captains chairs instead of the bench and drivers seat arrangement?

We are also thinking of not installing side windows at all - is this a mistake or a good idea? Once we've been out a few times it will become evident I suppose, but good to plan ahead a bit when doing the initial lining and insulation?

I am competent at cabinetry/bed making etc, but I’m struggling to see how to attach the bed to the van structure - I’m used to brickwork! How would this work, is there any information available? Especially as this sort of thing would be fitted after the walls and flooring is in, if that makes a difference?

Finally, I’d really like a side awning, what are these like to have on the van permanently - noisy, awkward at all?

Thanks in advance for all your ideas/help. I have lost count of the number of van interior pictures I’ve looked at, I’m slightly overwhelmed!
Ok back to basics. I know you're excited and want to chat about it but.....
Why are you asking a forum full of strangers whats best for your needs?
25 years of building these things, I've heard this question over and over and over.

Speak to your partner and talk about what YOU want.

1] what do you want the van to do?
2] what kind of camping are you going to do? Are you a climber? Fisherman? Canoeing enthusiast? Have you got kids? Dogs? ....will you be going to proper campsites or doing a bit of traveling/layby sort of stuff....all needs to factor into your own personal build needs.
3] what equipment will you find useful?...this is a big one...dont pick furniture and gadgets that are on trend.... pick functional things you NEED.
4] dont ask strangers to put ideas in your head.... they will only brag up what they have and this won't fit your needs.

You'll be much happier if you pick a fit out that suits your own personal needs rather than looking at what is fashionable in the forums.

Back