Kenwood DMX8019dabs

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Sadly many VW online stores are closed, so trying to get an understanding of parts and bits is a challenge, (not as much as those business at risk of course)!
I have a lot of time on my hands currently, so trying to get my van finished for the summer!

I've managed to source the Kenwood DMX8019 and no realise I need an interface connector between the Kenwood and VW - utilising the existing DAB antenna etc..
I know @Absolut5 sells these but his store is sadly closed currently. I've had some searching, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I want to make use of the Steering wheel controls, existing mic for the mobile phone and existing BDAB antenna etc - Is there a particular part description that would help me search for this online?

Many thanks all!

Sadly many VW online stores are closed, so trying to get an understanding of parts and bits is a challenge, (not as much as those business at risk of course)!
I have a lot of time on my hands currently, so trying to get my van finished for the summer!

I've managed to source the Kenwood DMX8019 and no realise I need an interface connector between the Kenwood and VW - utilising the existing DAB antenna etc..
I know @Absolut5 sells these but his store is sadly closed currently. I've had some searching, but can't find what I'm looking for.

I want to make use of the Steering wheel controls, existing mic for the mobile phone and existing BDAB antenna etc - Is there a particular part description that would help me search for this online?

Many thanks all!

I can do mail order and have stock of all the bits you need, pm me

Hi All,

Does the Kenwood DMX8019DABS have a built in SATNAV and do you have to pay for the service to enable it?
I've read somewhere that it does, but it isn't clear on some seller sites.

Cheers

No it doesn’t, but it does have CarPlay/Android auto which is much better as you can use your satnav app of choice on the screen rather than an already out of date baked in one.

Hi All,

Does the Kenwood DMX8019DABS have a built in SATNAV and do you have to pay for the service to enable it?
I've read somewhere that it does, but it isn't clear on some seller sites.

Cheers
Nope, as above, Google maps, works a treat I'd never go back to a built in oem shite one that tells you there's a traffic jam on the M1 5 minutes after you parked up in the 3rd lane :whistle:

We have supplied countless amout of these units as nearly everyone uses Waze or Google maps over built in nav

Hi have the above installed unit in our van but the quality of the speech is terrible and I assume the cheap feeling microphone supplied with the unit may be to blame but wondered if anyone else had similar experiences or could recommend a good upgrade for it? Its a 3.5 mm jack plug and I've mounted it around the rearview mirror but it gets a lot of background noise and speech is barely distinguishable ?

Thanks

The roof console is never a great place to put the microphone, manufacturers do it so they don’t have to change it for left/right hand drive. I set mine into the dash and have never had anyone say they can’t hear me
465E8417-C005-43F9-A2A1-1D188CDD015C.jpeg

The roof console is never a great place to put the microphone, manufacturers do it so they don’t have to change it for left/right hand drive. I set mine into the dash and have never had anyone say they can’t hear me
View attachment 93829
Oh ok and that is the one that came with the unit I assume ? I get what you say although I cannot believe it would be so much different if I moved it lower down

Oh ok and that is the one that came with the unit I assume ? I get what you say although I cannot believe it would be so much different if I moved it lower down
Yes it’s the original,Kenwood mic. I’ve always found having it up on the roof console picks up so much more background noise.

I fitted the Kenwood mic on the A Pillar - no issues with clarity as far as I'm aware

I agree, I think A-pillar is the best location, though I haven’t had any complaints about my overhead (factory fit) position

That’s a clever install in the dashboard for the microphone - I like that.

We’ve always found the A pillar worse for noise, due to the extra wind noise from the door.

Hi have the above installed unit in our van but the quality of the speech is terrible and I assume the cheap feeling microphone supplied with the unit may be to blame but wondered if anyone else had similar experiences or could recommend a good upgrade for it? Its a 3.5 mm jack plug and I've mounted it around the rearview mirror but it gets a lot of background noise and speech is barely distinguishable ?

Thanks
If you can be bothered, I mounted mine in the oem position in the centre light. Its not as good as oem as its a different type of mic (I did Google it, it's basically the normal mic vs a fancier one that can sound cancel etc) but with tweaks to the mic settings on the headunit now and it's more than usable :thumbsup:

Hi everyone

I’m looking at buying a Kenwood dmx8019dabs to take out the basic factory unit on our T6. What other parts do I need to make the swap please other than the DMX8019dabs.

thank you

I was waiting for an inbox with a price from another post but didn’t receive anything unfortunately. Happy to use them as I’ve seen the positive reviews

After my van had stood idle over the weekend, I decided to take it foe run out on Monday evening. The head unit failed to power up as normal and remained off for the whole journey. Checked Fuse 10 today and all was good. Does anyone know if there is reset feature on the unit.
I have PM'd Absolut5 for their input.

Back