Upgrading head unit, can’t connect DIN cable

Astroadz

I found a Kenwood DMX8019DABS and got the required bits from @Absolut5 with top service. Posting here so you or anyone who knows can answer.

He warned the DIN cable would be tight to connect, but it looks like I’m going to damage the connector in the process. The DIN pin count is correct but the male end has a V shape on top of the metal connector which isn’t cut in the female end’s plastic, and I’ve already partially damaged the plastic in the process of trying. I just want to make sure the interface is the correct one and it’s okay to go ahead before proceeding and permanently damaging anything.

Also, I don’t see anywhere for the yellow media/steering wheel connection to go and lose controls without it.

Connector
2D9B54C5-1F17-4EB8-A103-4A454089FF60.jpeg
Interface
?hash=6a8b1822538bf931dc1c7b33b6435392.jpg
Yellow (media/steering wheel) connection
A61949B5-7C0D-4190-993E-4E3A7E516668.jpeg

B4181302-1416-4163-A1B9-A4139D6B6D75.jpeg

Assuming there is confidence in the pin configuration is the same, i would be using a pair of long nose pliers on that plug to bend that V outwards (return it to a circular shape) so as not to damage the head unit.. its not like you could plug it in wrong anyway.

Thanks.

Going by other posts the yellow is for the USB. I believed the unused purple wire in the main wire loom was USB as it went back to it, but it must just be power for it.

Last edited:
Sit the headunit on your lap, push home straight the black plug, it looks like it will not fit but it does, they have been like this for years ,

yellow plug is the old usb

Sit the headunit on your lap, push home straight the black plug, it looks like it will not fit but it does, they have been like this for years ,

yellow plug is the old usb
Yeah I followed the sheet with those instructions and felt like I was damaging the connection. I’ll give it another go today or do as sparkzer said. Thanks.

I got it in, and it’s all finished and working now! I did have to force the connector in, and could tell it was slicing through the plastic of the female end, but the connection was not damaged. Thanks again for the help.

Back