Jacking Points And Axle Stands

I know these vans should take considerable twisting forces expected when it travels over uneven ground, but jacking under the wishbone causes the least amount of stress through the shell.

I only say this because of the number of folk reporting windscreens failing and If I understand correctly, the yet to be established cause.

I know these vans should take considerable twisting forces expected when it travels over uneven ground, but jacking under the wishbone causes the least amount of stress through the shell.

I only say this because of the number of folk reporting windscreens failing and If I understand correctly, the yet to be established cause.

If you think jacking your van up will crack the screen you should have a word with yourself

Obviously poorly manufactured screens, if jacking up could crack a screen you wouldn't make it far on the road... I got air over a bridge in the demo van they gave me, no cracked screen...

I think your most probably correct with poor manufacture being most likely reason for the failures.

Manufactured in built stress, non uniform thermal expansion, induced shock, tensile loading, shear stress, point loading, compressive loading, torsional stress and so on are all things that could, however, cause a poorly manufactured windscreen to burst.

Both uneven road surfaces and jacking the van, subjects its chassis and shell to stress. Crucially with stress, you get strain (Hookes Law).

Sometimes when driving, its unavoidable to do the twist, but as I'm planning on keeping my van a while and quite fond of the windscreen I already have, I'll just er on the side of mechanical sympathy, when changing wheels and tyres meantime.

Also keen that my suspension struts remain where they're designed to be, ie......on the underside of the bonnet. So I'll take your word on the Dukes of Hazard style experiment. Plus, heights I'm ok with. Falling from them.....less so.:thumbsup:

Hi, I wanted to remove my wheels to sort the rust (6 months old and looks awful) so plan to paint.

Looking under the van it has a plastic under tray. Anyone know exactly where the jacking points are? and where I put the axle stands.

The wheel fitting chaps used a jack I think they went on the chassis at the rear as he mentioned the plastic cover, but can't see any damage so not sure on the front.

Theres a piece of metal coming through the plastic just behind the front wheel for jacking, it looks a bit like a piece of metal angle bar looking at it end on
I think there’s a notch in the sill in line with it to highlight the jack point location, once it’s up I think I put my axle stand on the hinge point of the lower arm or the lower arm itself but can’t remember exactly what it looks like under there now as it was a while ago

Hi, I wanted to remove my wheels to sort the rust (6 months old and looks awful) so plan to paint.

Looking under the van it has a plastic under tray. Anyone know exactly where the jacking points are? and where I put the axle stands.

The wheel fitting chaps used a jack I think they went on the chassis at the rear as he mentioned the plastic cover, but can't see any damage so not sure on the front.
Hey .First two pics are the jack points as Paul has stated they look like steel angle bar ,I have only axel stands on the front and a used the steal circular beams in pic 3 but not sure if that's the best location but it worked for me . As for the rear am not to sure am afraid .just make sure it's somwere that is solid and not angled causing the axel stands to move :thumbsup:

IMG_20190115_105425.jpg

IMG_20190115_105443.jpg

IMG_20190115_105826.jpg

Hi everyone,
I don’t seem to be able to find the information on where the best positions are to put axel stands. The jacking points are clear but where’s the best positions for the stands?
Any help is much appreciated.
Regards,
Mark

When I changed my suspension recently, I jacked the van up in The middle of the cross member just behind the engine. This allowed me to raise the whole front end up in one go and allowed me to place the axle stands on the jacking points.
The rears were a bit trickier. I jacked one side up on the rear jack point and places the axle stand on the hinge of the suspension arm.

Rust? Where? :eek:

Can anyone confirm if there is a suitable central jacking point at the rear to get the rear of the van on axel stands?

I found it a total pain to Jack up and find a point for axel stands too. Just not well structured for the DIYer, probably by design.

I was just looking at this (borrowed!) picture and wondering if you could use the cross member in front of the spare wheel, assuming you could reach far enough in. No good for a 4mo though
1608735868702.png

so, to bring up the subject again - jacking points are ok - i use them to change the wheels every year, but the axle stand points? im looking especially for the rear best point as i thought of using the same as mentioned above for the front..

anyone with the definite answer?

thnaks!

Back