Low-profile jack

mik1ee

Hi everyone, I am trying to get hold of a suitable strong jack for lifting one corner of my T6 LWB. I tested the VW jack that came with the van but it failed just before the wheels cleared the ground. I need at least a 400mm total lift and don't want to carry in the T6 my heavy trolley jack. I have been looking at bottle jacks but can't find one that will fit under the lowered jacking points and also lift to a total of at least 400mm. The vehicle is lowered by 50mm. I have attached a couple of pics of the jacking points. Thank you for your ideas and experience

20230219_150421.jpg

20230219_131141.jpg

Be aware that it’s not just a case of having a jack that fits the gap and can lift the load. It’s unlikely that you’ll find a bottle jack that will fit in and still have enough stroke to cancel out the suspension sag to get the wheel off. I pack some spacers that can be used under the wheel (drive on first) or under the jack for soft ground to spread the load.
My van is a stock T32 with 17” stock Goodyear Cargo Vectors and it’s a struggle, loosing 50mm clearance might be a challenge.
Search with ‘jack’ and you’ll find many previous threads.

Be aware that it’s not just a case of having a jack that fits the gap and can lift the load. It’s unlikely that you’ll find a bottle jack that will fit in and still have enough stroke to cancel out the suspension sag to get the wheel off. I pack some spacers that can be used under the wheel (drive on first) or under the jack for soft ground to spread the load.
My van is a stock T32 with 17” stock Goodyear Cargo Vectors and it’s a struggle, loosing 50mm clearance might be a challenge.
Search with ‘jack’ and you’ll find many previous threads.

Got stuck in a woodland (bog) campsite a few days ago, had to jack up each corner on grass, dig out underneath with a broken fence and collect gravel to make a track out. 5 hours later in the pub covered in mud but refreshed.
Make sure you pack a steel plate that will prevent the jack sinking and some spacers, I had these and without them the wolves would of had us by now!

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Oh no, that sounds like a pain. I'm gonna get some grip mats in case we get stuck.
I have decided to get a smallish trolley jack 2.25 ton. I've seen some that weigh about 13kg. I borrowed my mates and it easily lifted the wheel off the ground and will fit in if the tyre is flat.

Back