Jacking points, trolley jacks and axle stands

this may be worth a look.

this may be worth a look.

Already watched your video @Dellmassive - cheers mate

Jacking points will be the next thing, already lost a few hours looking at jack's and jacking points on the forum... :oops:

I dont rate SGS kit in general, they seem overpriced for not great quality

We have loads of their kit on one of our sites and all of it just seems a bit cheap and not sturdy in particular the lifting stuff and storage kit

I bought a new jack a few weeks back and had a good look around in the upto £200 and ended up with one of these for £140, really pleased with it

Cheers for this Pauly
I was in the market for a new jack and have just ordered one

Sealey jacks are good value for money, there’s a discussion on the Forum, have a Search.
I had a pump fail on my jack due to corrosion after being used in the rain, my fault for not closing the pump and cleaning it after use. Sealey Customer Services shipped a new part straight away.

If you have Costco membership this jack always gets rave reviews. It’s on my to-buy list!

If lifting gear doesn‘t come CE approved and with a certificate of conformity / serial number don’t buy it, not the equipment to be saving money on.

If you have Costco membership this jack always gets rave reviews. It’s on my to-buy list!

Thanks mate, been in the market for a Jack for ages. How do you find the Jack performs and does it have the CE mark?

Thanks mate, been in the market for a Jack for ages. How do you find the Jack performs and does it have the CE mark?
I’ve not yet got one myself but it was recommended to me on the Porsche forum by several users. I like the fact it is low for my car and can also lift the weight of my T6. I have seen them in Costco and they look very well built. I keep holding out for them to go on offer.

FWIW. A piece of advice I was given my an old mechanic years ago was never buy cheap tools. I still hold by that as even cheap hand tools can be dangerous. Machinery that lift and hold two and a half tons above you when working, for me, need a very good provenance. If a jack stand fails it won’t leave you with a bruise and a cut finger.

I bought an SGS low body 3T trolley Jack which broke within 3 uses. They took weeks to send me a part which never arrived and then almost 2 months to refund me and collect the broken Jack. Bought a Halfords Expert 3T Jack with a trade card and it came to the same price as the SGS one. Can’t fault it. Used it on all our cars and my new T6.1. Highly recommended.

Same here, I had an SGS jack arrive knackered and took months to get my money back

Slightly off topic..
I am replacing front discs and pads soon and need to lift front, what is the minimum weight jack i can use for my t28? Will a 2 tonne be okay as i will only be lifting the front?

Entire van is around 2 tonne maybe a bit over if dsg/4 motion so should be fine for that
Standard procedures apply like it must be in a good serviceable condition and never go under a vehicle supported only by a jack

I dont rate SGS kit in general, they seem overpriced for not great quality

We have loads of their kit on one of our sites and all of it just seems a bit cheap and not sturdy in particular the lifting stuff and storage kit

I bought a new jack a few weeks back and had a good look around in the upto £200 and ended up with one of these for £140, really pleased with it

Typical @Pauly do my research decide to make the purchase then they don't deliver to NI! I'm assuming ford transit jacks are as as pants as OEM VW ones! Sure it twisted jacking up caravan! After.low profile trolley jack....

Use mine all the time and very pleased with it, Sealey is a well known brand if you have a shop around im sure there will be suppliers in NI or others willing to ship to NI ?

A bit of an extension to this thread.Trolley jacks and axle stands are the answer for most jobs without a lift. Recently though I’ve had to lower the rear belly tank on my camper to access and repair drain pipes. The axle stands get in the way for this job so I used ramps. Although most manufacturers guarantee well over two ton capacity they look worryingly flimsy. I bought the heftiest looking I could find but welded lots of strengthening in before I tried it. It worked well and is the best access I can get without a workshop ramp. Reversing up there and stopping on that small platform at the top on your own is a new skill though. Any opinions or advice on those ramps?

Back