Is this van worth the advertised price?

@Heath1984 that’s really interesting you can see where some of the converters get there prices from by the time you add overheads, staff costs, etc. also makes you wonder what you get from some of the cheaper converter’s and where the shortcut’s are?

unless you expect a hot tub in it then it's pretty much got everything apart from a diesel heater which I would have listed in main items. My post was to help people get an idea of what it costs to do it yourself, not suggest that's what you should pay from a conversion company.
There were 2 points to my initial response, though evidently I expressed these ineloquently.

My first point was that it isn't realistic to expect a professional convertor to match, on a like-for-like basis, the price achievable by a DIYer. I accept that you did not intend to imply this, but that's what I inferred (from your initial post: "...gives you an idea what a conversion company should be charging").

My second point was that, like most things in life, there are conversions and there are conversions. If, for instance, you were to add/substitute...
  • a bonded Reimo 3000 bed
  • leather upholstery
  • leather A-pillars, B-pillars and door cards
  • Alcantara lining
  • a hot water system (not a hot tub ;))
  • an off-grid lithium power system
  • air-ride with 20" Rolls Royce wheels
  • a full ABT body-kit
  • an upgraded sound system
  • etc
...then your conversion budget would be irrelevant, if not misleading.

Please be assured that I am in no way dissing your conversion. I have the upmost respect for those that self-convert, if only because I know I don't have the skills!

There were 2 points to my initial response, though evidently I expressed these ineloquently.

My first point was that it isn't realistic to expect a professional convertor to match, on a like-for-like basis, the price achievable by a DIYer. I accept that you did not intend to imply this, but that's what I inferred (from your initial post: "...gives you an idea what a conversion company should be charging").

My second point was that, like most things in life, there are conversions and there are conversions. If, for instance, you were to add/substitute...
  • a bonded Reimo 3000 bed
  • leather upholstery
  • leather A-pillars, B-pillars and door cards
  • Alcantara lining
  • a hot water system (not a hot tub ;))
  • an off-grid lithium power system
  • air-ride with 20" Rolls Royce wheels
  • a full ABT body-kit
  • an upgraded sound system
  • etc
...then your conversion budget would be irrelevant, if not misleading.

Please be assured that I am in no way dissing your conversion. I have the upmost respect for those that self-convert, if only because I know I don't have the skills!
Both your points are valid - I wasn’t dissing either! Yep, the “what converters should be charging” bit was a red herring!

@Heath1984 that’s really interesting you can see where some of the converters get there prices from by the time you add overheads, staff costs, etc. also makes you wonder what you get from some of the cheaper converter’s and where the shortcut’s are?
Makes you worry, more like.

My take is being a self employed tree surgeon I know my costs and need to cover them and make a decent living.
I’m well capable of doing a conversion to a good standard but time is the most precious thing.
If I earn enough to pay for someone’s time and let them earn a living then so be it.
I know I would rather be out there living it than spending every spare moment for months on end building it.
But each to their own.

Just to add perspective, a Reimo easy fit LWB roof & a Reimo Variotec bed on LWB rails will set you back £10k fitted, give or take.

Reactions: Bav
Just to add perspective, a Reimo easy fit LWB roof & a Reimo Variotec bed on LWB rails will set you back £10k fitted, give or take.
You speaking from wallet-felt experience?

Back