Is my solar setup faulty?

…. I’ve had problems with solar charging / draining on my system (MPPT Electrozirve)
2 x 190w solar panels
1 x 200Ah battery
Unless the T6.1 is parked in direct sunlight the fridge would drain the system
Not got to the bottom of it yet but it points to the lack of any ventilation around the fridge housing, meaning the fridge never shuts off. Fans plus vent slots being fitted. Today the timber housing around the fridge was warm to touch and the mechanics of the fridge burned my finger prints off.
Sun is not a problem as we live in Didim in Turkey, ventilation seems to be an oversite.
A change over switch has also been fitted to flip between solar and alternator during off grid winter travel.
Can anyone tell me if the alternator on my 2019 150bhp T6.1 is capable of charging its own battery and the 200Ah leisure battery please ….

…. I’ve had problems with solar charging / draining on my system (MPPT Electrozirve)
2 x 190w solar panels
1 x 200Ah battery
Unless the T6.1 is parked in direct sunlight the fridge would drain the system
Not got to the bottom of it yet but it points to the lack of any ventilation around the fridge housing, meaning the fridge never shuts off. Fans plus vent slots being fitted. Today the timber housing around the fridge was warm to touch and the mechanics of the fridge burned my finger prints off.
Sun is not a problem as we live in Didim in Turkey, ventilation seems to be an oversite.
A change over switch has also been fitted to flip between solar and alternator during off grid winter travel.
Can anyone tell me if the alternator on my 2019 150bhp T6.1 is capable of charging its own battery and the 200Ah leisure battery please ….
have you got a DC-DC charger? - for engine charging?

can you posts some pics of your setup and the change over switch you mentioned.

Hi Ollyboy61,
I also live in a hot climate and have had the same problem when traveling and relying on solar to keep my leisure battery supplying fridge etc.

Once the interior of your van heats up the fridge compressor runs almost continuously.

I added ventilation grills at top of cupboards above fridge, added a 12v fan blowing on the back of the compressor and added a sail track to my drivers side of the van so I could put an awning shading the side of van where the fridge is.

Now when parked in the sun the fridge doesn't run as often and I have been travelling and off the grid for over a month and my battery lasted easily.

I also fitted a lifepo4 lithium battery to replace my agm and its been great as it charges much quicker and I can draw it down much deeper than my old agm.

I also always try to park in the shade and use my solar blankets if possible rather than my fixed roof top panel but this is not always possible.20210114_091800.jpg20210715_155815.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mick
i should consider the lithium option too, it’s our want to remain off grid as much as poss.
The kitchen is at the back of the van partitioned from rock n roll bed area. Insulation job is great and internal ambient temp isn’t too bad.
The vents you’ve fitted look good, we will probably blow the extracted hot air from the fridge area into the van, I don’t want to cut vent panels into the body.
Ill let you know how it goes
Olly

have you got a DC-DC charger? - for engine charging?

can you posts some pics of your setup and the change over switch you mentioned.
….. great content on your threads, just what a kid in a sweet shop like me needs
Ill post info later, I need to know if the factory fitted alternator is up to keeping both batteries healthy …
Olly

The vents I added are on the end of my cupboards and are not visible when looking into van but I understand the reluctance to bore holes into your furniture, I have 2 under my drivers side sliding window and 3 at the end of the cupboard where fridge is. Mine exhaust into the vans inside also as external vents are areas where dust etc can get into the van.
I put in a switch to control fan aimed at compressor as I dont need to run the fan in cooler temperatures.
Good luck with your solutions as they will certainly help.

….. great content on your threads, just what a kid in a sweet shop like me needs
Ill post info later, I need to know if the factory fitted alternator is up to keeping both batteries healthy …
Olly
Turns out the installers did not realise the T6.1 has a Smart Alternator and are now sourcing a DC - DC charger
They are suggesting Orion Tr Smart 12-12 - 30 unit. 360w 30A
Input 8-17v
Output 10-15v
Can you say if this unit will do the job please
Olly

Yes that APP works withe the Orion DC-DC. It's very good.

I use that and the BM2 monitors....

Have a look here:

Please confirm my fears …
my installers wired an isolation switch into the live leg feeding an ….
Orion Tr Smart 30
This isolator was found to be faulty, with a chattering fault.
The mobile App. when initiated read no output volts and stated engine not running …
After 1. replacing the isolator and 2. wiring the Orion feed live direct to car battery the App. read the same as above.
Can we categorically say the Orion is cooked ?

Olly ….

Yes that APP works withe the Orion DC-DC. It's very good.

I use that and the BM2 monitors....

Have a look here:

Ollyboy61

New Member​

VIP Member
Please confirm my fears …
my installers wired an isolation switch into the live leg feeding an ….
Orion Tr Smart 30
This isolator was found to be faulty, with a chattering fault.
The mobile App. when initiated read no output volts and stated engine not running …
After 1. replacing the isolator and 2. wiring the Orion feed live direct to car battery the App. read the same as above.
Can we categorically say the Orion is cooked ?

Olly ….

@Ollyboy61 post some pics of the Orion install.

The Victron Orion is very resilient....

I doubt it will be faulty.

You need to set up the Orion up for it to work properly. It must be set up as a charger and be configured for use with a smart alternator. I'm not sure, but you might also need to connect the wires going to the green terminal to a switched ignition supply. See the manual for the details. I've got a T5.1 so no smart alternator so I don't need anything connected to this.
I also had a faulty isolator on the feed from the starter battery. I was getting about 4V at the input to the Orion. Changed it for another and it's all working fine. You should have some sort of fuse between the starter battery and the orion. Put it close to the starter battery to protect if anything shorts to the chassis.

@Ollyboy61 post some pics of the Orion install.

The Victron Orion is very resilient....

I doubt it will be faulty.
After the van had been standing in direct sunlight all morning, the solar panels leisure battery was at 100% taking 200w charging power from panels. I run the engine checked the App and found 13.8v input and output readings.
I then put load on leisure battery with engine running and vans day running lamps on.
After about 20mins the App read ..input voltage 12.5v and no output voltage with engine stopped note, even though engine was still running.
The factory set settings read as above, should I alter these to allow greater flexibility or are these generally the healthiest settings caring for the donor battery ?. Can you please suggest new settings ? 2FF19DF4-6F4E-4C67-B850-3660E0B2CB15.jpeg36DE4256-5B8E-4301-9149-1E1DC4124FBF.jpeg722213AF-F67B-473D-854E-A3F2264C0D87.jpeg6FE928DD-52F9-418E-B8F7-8B83DC6CDD35.jpeg

Olly

You need to set up the Orion up for it to work properly. It must be set up as a charger and be configured for use with a smart alternator. I'm not sure, but you might also need to connect the wires going to the green terminal to a switched ignition supply. See the manual for the details. I've got a T5.1 so no smart alternator so I don't need anything connected to this.
I also had a faulty isolator on the feed from the starter battery. I was getting about 4V at the input to the Orion. Changed it for another and it's all working fine. You should have some sort of fuse between the starter battery and the orion. Put it close to the starter battery to protect if anything shorts to the chassis.

Have you got and ignition feed connected to the H pin,?

Have you got a wire loop across the H & L pins?

Whats the gauge of the cables??

What's the status light doing?

Etc. Etc.

Post a few pics of the Orion to answer many questions

Etc. Etc.

H and L are linked
22mm cable used from donor
I will check status light and try to video / photo
Space around install is tight
Thank you for prompt reply
Whats your opinion on Orion settings ?

Olly

What battery have you got?

Etc. Etc.

5339D836-1A3E-4A74-A2E5-AF8232E52F2D.jpeg 13.7v engine running blue lamp constant green lamp flashing 2-3per second F5BFDDED-CC39-4609-A5C7-9EA00A4F3BC7.jpeg 12.2v engine off green lamp off blue lamp flashing every 4-5secs

Back