invertor and TV

Gavandi

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Probably a very basic question but forgive my muppetry!

I have an invertor unit connected to a separate 3 pin socket - can i just use an unused small house
TV straight into this socket?
And do I need a super dooper external arial?

Is it a true sine-wave inverter? many TVs are unhappy running from the square-wave mains you get from a cheap inverter.
"Modified sine-wave" isnt much better. Check the power rating of the inverter is at least double the TV's power requirements.
You will need an aerial - probably a high-gain beam on a remote campsite. Set-top aerials struggle out in the sticks.
The setup will be greedy - a 60w mains TV could take say 6 to 8A (ish) at 12v depending how (in)efficient the inverter is.
Cheers
Phil

You’d be better fitting a leisure battery and buy a 12v tv, if that’s an option for you

Some small or 'portable' domestic TVs are 12v and use a wall-wart type power supply - these are invariably much cheaper than a camping-specific telly . You can get a cheap domestic all-in-one, 12v DTV telly with a built-in DVD or blue-ray player. If its a weird plug you can clip the plug from the power supply to make up a 12v lead. For example: 16" diagonal, £150 including delivery. Has a 12v input socket and a built-in DVD.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cello-C1623.../dp/B00MQVT0WU
Cheers
Phil
PS dont be conned into paying more for a 'digital' aerial, theres no such animal - DVB uses the same band as the old analogue channels. They're mostly wideband now where before you'd choose a group A, B or C/D aerial depending which transmitter you were on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back