Insurance Companies

I have been going through my first insurance renewal and the old company (safeguard) gave an uncompetitive quote. Transporter T6.1 SWB professionally converted. Only exceptional criteria were my wife and sons as additional drivers but all with driving history, over 30 and no-one with any convictions.
I'm not going to put all my details or exact amounts here but just documenting my overall experience and with a question at the end.
Following recommendations here, I went to:

Safeguard - quoted me an alternative insurer but still much more than last year (nearly double) - were really good last year though
Brent Acre - bit too expensive
Adrian Flux - crazy expensive for second year - won't bother again
LV - went right through supplying all info online to be told they can't offer me anything! (same with Direct Line last year) - very irritating!
NFU Mutual - competitive but so far unable to convince me they were truly covering the professional camper mods as it seemed to be basically car insurance and they weren't asking what the mods were. I could be doing them a disservice but people offering true campervan insurance are giving me more confidence.
Howdens (A-Plan) - most likely will go with them but higher excess, only £300 personal effects, no breakdown cover and additional fee for legal cover

(Yeah - lot of time invested!! Went to wrong companies first I guess)

Will probably end up paying about 15% more this year but with higher excesses and without breakdown cover. Not good but was very worried that it would be much worse than this given recent coverage of higher premiums this year.

My question would be, what experience is there of the level of payout for real claims from these policies, particularly (but not just) in the event of complete loss? I can see the possibility of being left with a settlement and no way to get another van of similar age and spec and then having to shell out even more money to replace. A nightmare but paying much higher premiums to insure against this risk year after year of course is the balance.

I know others have mentioned agreed value policies but neither Howdens nor NFU offered me this (I did ask). One company told me they could do it but would add several hundred pounds.

I have been going through my first insurance renewal and the old company (safeguard) gave an uncompetitive quote. Transporter T6.1 SWB professionally converted. Only exceptional criteria were my wife and sons as additional drivers but all with driving history, over 30 and no-one with any convictions.
I'm not going to put all my details or exact amounts here but just documenting my overall experience and with a question at the end.
Following recommendations here, I went to:

Safeguard - quoted me an alternative insurer but still much more than last year (nearly double) - were really good last year though
Brent Acre - bit too expensive
Adrian Flux - crazy expensive for second year - won't bother again
LV - went right through supplying all info online to be told they can't offer me anything! (same with Direct Line last year) - very irritating!
NFU Mutual - competitive but so far unable to convince me they were truly covering the professional camper mods as it seemed to be basically car insurance and they weren't asking what the mods were. I could be doing them a disservice but people offering true campervan insurance are giving me more confidence.
Howdens (A-Plan) - most likely will go with them but higher excess, only £300 personal effects, no breakdown cover and additional fee for legal cover

(Yeah - lot of time invested!! Went to wrong companies first I guess)

Will probably end up paying about 15% more this year but with higher excesses and without breakdown cover. Not good but was very worried that it would be much worse than this given recent coverage of higher premiums this year.

My question would be, what experience is there of the level of payout for real claims from these policies, particularly (but not just) in the event of complete loss? I can see the possibility of being left with a settlement and no way to get another van of similar age and spec and then having to shell out even more money to replace. A nightmare but paying much higher premiums to insure against this risk year after year of course is the balance.

I know others have mentioned agreed value policies but neither Howdens nor NFU offered me this (I did ask). One company told me they could do it but would add several hundred pounds.
Hi @wallport ,
With regard to the Agreed Value, have a word with Trinity Lane Insurance who do a stand alone AV policy. 0344 3814 599 That's not strictly the right number but I'm sure they will put you through.

Hi @wallport ,
With regard to the Agreed Value, have a word with Trinity Lane Insurance who do a stand alone AV policy. 0344 3814 599 That's not strictly the right number but I'm sure they will put you through.
Hmm, as you said, that number is not for quotes. It seems to only be for claims and points you to Hadleigh in the UK as Trinity Lane is Gibraltar based. The web site (after some digging) points you to Adrian Flux - who were not competitive when I spoke to them previoisly. Are you sure that they offer Agreed value on anything but Adrian Flux policies and if so, any idea how to get a UK number for new business?

Hmm, as you said, that number is not for quotes. It seems to only be for claims and points you to Hadleigh in the UK as Trinity Lane is Gibraltar based. The web site (after some digging) points you to Adrian Flux - who were not competitive when I spoke to them previoisly. Are you sure that they offer Agreed value on anything but Adrian Flux policies and if so, any idea how to get a UK number for

Hmm, as you said, that number is not for quotes. It seems to only be for claims and points you to Hadleigh in the UK as Trinity Lane is Gibraltar based. The web site (after some digging) points you to Adrian Flux - who were not competitive when I spoke to them previoisly. Are you sure that they offer Agreed value on anything but Adrian Flux policies and if so, any idea how to get a UK number for new business?
The only communication I had with Trinity was their online form including 7 photos to which they agreed my AV figure. Although there are folk on here with AV's through that which is now Howdens, A Plan at the time gave me a right royal run around for an AV which I didnt get, I changed to Mr Flux who have in previous years looked after me well on my Motorcycle policy. I needed an AV in the event of the unthinkable, my apologies for providing false hope!
£680 seems reasonable to me, but I wouldn't be happy without that Agrieved Value! As you say if the worst happened and they offered you book/market value you wouldn't be a happy teddy, peace of mind to me is worth a few hundred quid more..? A Plan made me all sorts of verbal promises about 'looking after me' in the event of a complete loss, I wanted a piece of paper with the figure required on it. Perhaps they are indeed tied to Flux, you certainly can't contact them directly.
Best of luck Sir, please keep us posted.

Just been doing the yearly phone calls and getting quotes.

Is Adrian Flux and Just Kampers part of the same family?

I have a £70 better offer from Just Kampers but all their paperwork and web access platform seems identical to AF, and even their welcome packs and letters look identical. AF couldn’t better their renewal cost.

Both are underwritten by Ageas and with agreed valuations (which is a must for me).

I received a text message to call Adrian Flux and wondered if they had made a mistake on their previous quotes so I called them again. No better! However, I did grill them on why, given that many others here recommend them.

I was told 9000 miles is high. Surely that can't be right. Also that many they quote have older and therefore lower value Vans.

I may still call them at next renewal solely because of the agreed value option but they are going to have to get vaguely competitive. It's not all about the cost but it has to be in the right ball park.

Reactions: Bav
I received a text message to call Adrian Flux and wondered if they had made a mistake on their previous quotes so I called them again. No better! However, I did grill them on why, given that many others here recommend them.

I was told 9000 miles is high. Surely that can't be right. Also that many they quote have older and therefore lower value Vans.

I may still call them at next renewal solely because of the agreed value option but they are going to have to get vaguely competitive. It's not all about the cost but it has to be in the right ball park.
I have cover for 10k miles at less than £700 including AV. A little more than A-Plan was but no AV with them. A couple of claims in the past 5 years one non fault, the other a theft of a motorcycle. Oh and an SP30 on the Mrs. West Midland based. Cheap £50k poverty model van full conversion.
What quote did you get from them @wallport ?

Just shy of a grand (without one between jobs named driver over 30 who other insurers have no issue with - which alone added a further £800!).

Have given up on agreed value for this year but will revisit next time.

Just shy of a grand (without one between jobs named driver over 30 who other insurers have no issue with - which alone added a further £800!).

Have given up on agreed value for this year but will revisit next time.
I originally got a quote to include my NHS Ambulance driving 29 year old daughter, £1500. I think my exact words were F... that. All heart me when family is concerned.

Just got my Adrian Flux renewal price today so here;s a breakdown of this and last years insurance
last year
£585 including AV and limited mileage of 7500 miles
this year
£626 including AV and limited mileage 7500 miles
£555 including AV and limited mileage 5000 miles
van is parked on the road and 1 named driver no convictions
AF are now doing AV in house for £15 as of the 1st April not April fools before you ask

Just got my Adrian Flux renewal price today so here;s a breakdown of this and last years insurance
last year
this year
AF are now doing AV in house for £15 as of the 1st April not April fools before you ask
They will naturally stop doing that £15 thing when I come to renew in November. Lucky Wayne, they don't call me...
Thank you @Bargy62

last year
this year
Come renewal, I'll be looking to increase our mileage limit from the current 6k, so it's useful to see the correlation between premium and annual mileage. :thumbsup:

last year
this year
I should of added these prices included free legal expense cover
plus protected no claims bonus cover cost £36
and the compulsory excess is £500

last year
this year
Just Kampers (which I am pretty sure is AF)

£713 + £15AV 17000miles self +2 named drivers, legal cover, no claims protected. No points or convections for any driver, kept on road.

Must have thatchman tracker installed + factory immobiliser. And dash cams.

No one else is even close with AV which is must, considering otherwise they only give the market value for the base van without.

Also that many they quote have older and therefore lower value Vans.
Seems complete BS… my insurance goes up every year despite a maximum no claims ‘bonus’ and the vehicles getting older and therefore worth less.

They trot out any old poop. Why can’t they just be honest and say ‘we want to pay our shareholders lots of money’?

Back