Insurance Companies

You could always take out the Caravanguard policy and a stand-alone Agreed Value policy (sometimes call Agreed Value Gap Insurance)..
Thanks, I did have a quick search earlier but didn’t see anything - I’ll have another look

Reactions: Bav
These insurance companies clearly just pluck figures out of the air and make it up as they go along, it’s a license to print money, at least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.
I can assure you that insurers don't pluck figures out of the air - far from it. Think of it from the viewpoint of a self-employed tradesman - if they were asked to quote for a job they didn't want, they'd either decline to quote or they'd quote a really high price to make it worth their while. Effectively, this is what the insurer is doing when they quote £2.5k - they're expecting you to look elsewhere, but they're quids in on the off-chance the client is stupid enough to take them up on the offer.

I can assure you that insurers don't pluck figures out of the air - far from it. Think of it from the viewpoint of a self-employed tradesman - if they were asked to quote for a job they didn't want, they'd either decline to quote or they'd quote a really high price to make it worth their while. Effectively, this is what the insurer is doing when they quote £2.5k - they're expecting you to look elsewhere, but they're quids in on the off-chance the client is stupid enough to take them up on the offer.
Just Kampers asked what my cheapest quote so far was and they couldn’t beat it but said they’ll speak to the insurance company on Monday to see if there’s anything they can do so hopefully they do want the business!

I was also told they actually offer a separate agreed value policy for £75 so I’ll see what they come back with

but that sound exactly like they're plucking figures/making it up (if they don't actually want the business) doesn't it??

but that sound exactly like they're plucking figures/making it up (if they don't actually want the business) doesn't it??
Maybe, but a moot point because no-one sensible should be taking them up on the offer.

Maybe, but a moot point because no-one sensible should be taking them up on the offer.
maybe, but if you agree it's happening, then it's fair to suspect it's happening at a less exaggerated level/amount isn't it? otherwise they'd not be able to beat a quote you've already had huh...

maybe, but if you agree it's happening, then it's fair to suspect it's happening at a less exaggerated level/amount isn't it? otherwise they'd not be able to beat a quote you've already had huh...
The motivation is different though to that being characterised - they aren't trying or expecting to make a killing; they're deliberately making themselves uncompetitive.

I’d prefer to get a silly quote and trot on, rather than be declined by an insurer which may need to be declared elsewhere.

I’d prefer to get a silly quote and trot on, rather than be declined by an insurer which may need to be declared elsewhere.
It's a common misconception that the "have you ever had insurance refused, declined or cancelled?" question relates to an insurer declining to quote because you don't meet their general acceptance criteria.

This question actually relates to being refused/declined/cancelled insurance to due to fraudulent activity such as crash for cash or making a false declaration.

Just Kampers asked what my cheapest quote so far was and they couldn’t beat it but said they’ll speak to the insurance company on Monday to see if there’s anything they can do so hopefully they do want the business!

I was also told they actually offer a separate agreed value policy for £75 so I’ll see what they come back with
interesting they quoting me £15 today and free last Tuesday. Also getting different agent feeback, one saying they will process the AV before the policy start, the other saying not.

Conflict is making me too nervous to go with them.

Have plenty of time to do shopping elsewhere and looking for integral AV with stated endorsements and agreement for full refund if AV not agreed

interesting they quoting me £15 today and free last Tuesday. Also getting different agent feeback, one saying they will process the AV before the policy start, the other saying not.

Conflict is making me too nervous to go with them.

Have plenty of time to do shopping elsewhere and looking for integral AV with stated endorsements and agreement for full refund if AV not agreed
Just Kampers didn't get back to me when they said so I went with caravanguard in the end.

JK are OK so long as they are sticking to their rigid scripts but stray away from them and you might as well be talking to that Japanese Macaque that recently escaped from the zoo up in Scotland.

@icn05 I’m with CaravanGuard and their policy will replace new for old in the first two years if you are the first owner of a professionally converted van that they recognise and damage is over 65% of value. I would assume that they must recognise the converter or they wouldn’t offer to insure you.
You just have to ensure that the insured value covers the cost of a new vehicle + any extras.
i’ve had to raise my cover by £10k more than I paid due to the way prices have gone up between the time I put my initial order in and the list price of a conversion now. It‘s also how they cover such things as upgraded wheels.

@icn05 I’m with CaravanGuard and their policy will replace new for old in the first two years if you are the first owner of a professionally converted van that they recognise and damage is over 65% of value. I would assume that they must recognise the converter or they wouldn’t offer to insure you.
You just have to ensure that the insured value covers the cost of a new vehicle + any extras.
i’ve had to raise my cover by £10k more than I paid due to the way prices have gone up between the time I put my initial order in and the list price of a conversion now. It‘s also how they cover such things as upgraded wheels.
The converter is on Camperguard’s list of recognised companies but unfortunately not recognised by the one company I found who would provide separate AV insurance. I did raise the value of the conversion but not by 10k. Hopefully I’ll not be in a total loss claim! :whistle:

Well gave up on Just Kampers and went to CaravanGuard myself. Trying to get the Agreed Value certificate inside the cool off period proved impossible. Ended up with a
Market value premium but lower that Onecall
and JK.

Interestingly I discovered in the process of cancellation that JK does a standalone AV for £75. I was getting this discounted at £15 by taking market value insurance through them.

Hi, getting a 2015 T32 in a few weeks, and new to it all.
Quotes..
Howdens (KGM underwriters) £340
Caravan Club (Highway underwriters) £294+48 membership =£338
Adrian Flux (Ageas underwriters) £280

Any comments on how good the above are at paying up, on a professionally converted van, that has no receipts for the work done.

Hi, getting a 2015 T32 in a few weeks, and new to it all.
Quotes..
Howdens (KGM underwriters) £340
Caravan Club (Highway underwriters) £294+48 membership =£338
Adrian Flux (Ageas underwriters) £280

Any comments on how good the above are at paying up, on a professionally converted van, that has no receipts for the work done.
Just Kampers and CarvanGuard just wanted to know the name of the convertor and a full list of modifications. Being a member of any club like the T6 Forum gets a nice discount.

any of the quotes Agreed Value rather than Market Value? My CaravanGuard is above Adrian Flux but below the other two but with MV.

Not seen many reviews on pay out of any but the AV will offer some peace of mind. jK asked for 8 photographs to determine AV but can take up to 30days to agree a value.

None agreed value. Adrian Flux offer it for an additional £15 having bought the policy! You send in 7 photos. But what use is it after buying the policy if they only agree a lower value than you want. You may as well save £15 and send the photos when you claim, and argue it then.
I dont know who did the conversion originally, only who added the pop up roof. JustKampers were £408

None agreed value. Adrian Flux offer it for an additional £15 having bought the policy! You send in 7 photos. But what use is it after buying the policy if they only agree a lower value than you want. You may as well save £15 and send the photos when you claim, and argue it then.
I dont know who did the conversion originally, only who added the pop up roof. JustKampers were £408
if you send the photos in while making a write off claim the Van is not going to look its best:) Its a bit of a lottery me thinks

Back