Instrument cluster backlights

Why not just set it to manual - either day or night !
Because I will then have to go into the settings everyday to change from night to day.
Day is to bright at night and vice versa.
Its becoming obvious that i'm rather lazy.:sleep:

... it 's true what he says smr72 ..! ... I tried now, with a light bulb I illuminated the sensor and the lights of the dashboard are lit! ... What do I need the dashboard illuminated in the day? ! .... go figure out who invented this! ...... I do not use the navigator .. there is not !! , but with CarPlay and the iPhone maps, the screen changes brightness alone .... another mystery for me! ... .... at this time I need a beer regards

Hi guys

I have asked this a few time as well about blacked out dials on full grey days, in Scotland I run with side lights on a lot as it’s so dull, however dashbis dim. There is a light sensor on bottom right corner of speedo and if you have no lights on and shine a torch on sensor dials all light up.

I have read on another forum this:

Recode Instrument Lighting to be 'Always On':
Follow 'Initial Steps', above, then...
  • Click on '17-Instruments'
  • When you go into this module, it will scan for fault codes and go straight to a fault code screen. It should say 'No Fault Codes Found'. Click the 'Done, go back' button to get to the main screen for this module.
  • Click 'Recode - 07'
  • Make note of your original coding.
  • Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code. It may or may not explain the rightmost digit.
  • One of the digits (the one fartherest to the right) is for the instrument cluster backlighting configuration. It's originally set at '3' (for the US models). You will change it to '4' (Pointers and scales ON, with Dimming Feature). For example, change 0004203 to 0004204.
  • Change this value in 'Software Coding___'
  • Click 'Do It!'
  • Click 'Close Controller, Go Back'

Note: By doing this, you have now set both the pointers and number scales in the instrument cluster to be on at all times rather than being sensitive to ambient light with the photosensor. The reason for the factory setting is to provide a visual cue that you need to turn on your headlights. Having the instruments lit all the time defeats this. Do this mod at your own risk. FYI - the photosensor is the almost invisible circle on the speedometer face right at the high end of the scale.
However on the t6 instrument module I have this, but am frightened to change anything incase I make a mess of other settings:

View attachment 19067

Anyone any further info or thoughts

tried to look into it (t6 2019) I have the same coding as yours in that module and I tried to code the “4” digit in it with no joy. I’m not worried of messing things up, as long as you take a note of existing coding so you can revert back if needed.

tried to look into it (t6 2019) I have the same coding as yours in that module and I tried to code the “4” digit in it with no joy. I’m not worried of messing things up, as long as you take a note of existing coding so you can revert back if needed.
Perhaps through adaptations ---> Lighting issues

I found how to do it. You need to go to 17 Instrument, adaption, scroll down towards the bottom it says scales dimming algorithm. There should be 3 options. 2 in German and the 3rd says parking something. Change it to parking. The instrument cluster will now illuminate when side lights are turned on. I can confirm it works as I just did it for a friends van.

DSC_0816[1].JPG

I found how to do it. You need to go to 17 Instrument, adaption, scroll down towards the bottom it says scales dimming algorithm. There should be 3 options. 2 in German and the 3rd says parking something. Change it to parking. The instrument cluster will now illuminate when side lights are turned on. I can confirm it works as I just did it for a friends van.

View attachment 61891
The scale does light up on sidelights (position 1) already. What I'd personally want done it’s scale always lit regardless lights switch position. As someone mentioned it’s so annoying when using Apple car play cos switches map colour

OK I see. Its different if you have auto lights. My friends van didnt have auto lights and the dials didnt illuminate with side lights, but only with headlights. I suppose I should have mentioned that

I have fitted auto light switch .. started driving in dark with main beam on but when sun up daylight level increases when driving auto then sets to side lights which then turns off the instrument lighting and is hard to see the dials in the early sunup lighting .. can the dash lighting be coded to keep dash ligjts on when on side lights .. when on auto switch

I have fitted auto light switch .. started driving in dark with main beam on but when sun up daylight level increases when driving auto then sets to side lights which then turns off the instrument lighting and is hard to see the dials in the early sunup lighting .. can the dash lighting be coded to keep dash ligjts on when on side lights .. when on auto switch
Their is no coding or adaptations for the instrument lighting in VCDS

Their is no coding or adaptations for the instrument lighting in VCDS
Seems a bit of miss here from VW .. dont see why there cant be some dash illumination on side light operation .. my BMW switches on auto from white light to red light from main to side albeit the red operation is not as bright as my eyes require but better than nothing .. is the answer to manually switch lights from side to main so the dash can be seen .. any other options

Perhaps something useful here:

Hope it’s normal but have noticed in my 2017 T6 that the backlight of the instruments fades in and out when on side lights but is fully on when headlights full on.

I don’t have auto headlights so was wondering if there is some other sensor controlling these lights based on ambient light levels?

I was driving through big cloud bursts today so may have just been that it became dark and the lights were more obvious but I’m not convinced.

I’ve noticed on VW cars that have instrument lights that are always on, if the headlights aren’t turned on, the instrument lights dim if the outside light goes. I took it to be a reminder to turn on headlights.

Reactions: mmi
That's T6's way of reminding to turn headlights on ;) - dimming instruments lights when it is dark.

Mine goes brighter when the acc spots a car then goes back to my specified brightness after the car is clear of the acc. Annoying when you have the level set low and drive on the motorways at night.

Wondered if anyone has experienced an issue with the illumination on the speedo and rev counter along with the computer. Today, whilst running during the day the backlight to the main dash dials kept fading. Interestingly, during strong sunlight the backlight was generally normal but in shade through tree lined roads the lighting was poor or non existence. First time I have noticed it happen?

My vans a T6 LWB 2019 build, 2020 registered and only covered 2K miles. It has had a conversion so wondering if something has gone amiss with the wiring?

It’s normal that’s expected behaviour
It’s to stop you driving at night on DRLs, if the van thinks it’s dark outside and you dont have headlights on it will pulse the dash illumination to alert you

Cheers Pauly. I was driving through heavily wooded area at first from cold start at around 4pm. Then joined the A1 with mainly bright sunlight and intermittent, slightly shaded stretches of road when I noticed it happening most of the way home. I'd never noticed it happen before.

If your on auto then that’s the points where the lights would go on and off, they can be overly sensitive so often seems like they come on rather early and maybe that’s what you were noticing today ??

Back