Aftermarket LED tail-lamp not working [Resolved]

Skippy

VIP Member
Any help appreciated. I have a T6 highline. An orange warning light came up on my dashboard to say a bulb or light problem had occured. When I checked, the rear offside light cluster is not working (none of it, tail light, indicators, brake light - nothing?). Stragely, when I put my tow bar bike rack on the back and hitch it up to the electrics the lights on the cycle rack work ok. The indicator switch on the dashboard flashes very fast. All other lights seem ok. I think the 12v charger on the top of the dashboard may also have failed. I wanted to start by looking at fuses but I have no idea which fuse box or which fuse - I was told that there is a separate fuse for offside and nearside? The light cluster is a Transporter HQ LED fitted by my conversion company. I have had recent work carried out on my leisure battery, new battery to battery charger and new solar panels - could this be linked to the lights problem? Its difficult to drive the vehicle at the mo as I have no indicator for turning right and only one brake light on other side. Thanks for any advice /help.

Have you looked at the plug on the back of the cluster? That's easy to get to and the first place I would look given that the whole lot is inoperative.

sorry - I should have said - I have taken the cluster off and everything seems ok visibly. Thanks for replying - appreciated.

The harnesses couple under the seat bases, possibly one of them has been disturbed if you've had work done there?

As a VIP you have access to the wiring and fuse diagrams and yes normally side lights are fused so that one fuse going doesn't remove all your position lights.

Tow bar isn't that strange, a modern tow bar will be generating it's own light feeds from the signals on the canbus not tapping into the wiring to the lights on the van.

If you've lost the whole cluster the first place I'd be looking is the earthing.

Reactions: CJW
No extra help regarding the cause, but you could drive around with your bike rack on and at least have some lights. Not sure how the Police would react to that though.

The harnesses couple under the seat bases, possibly one of them has been disturbed if you've had work done there?

As a VIP you have access to the wiring and fuse diagrams and yes normally side lights are fused so that one fuse going doesn't remove all your position lights.

Tow bar isn't that strange, a modern tow bar will be generating it's own light feeds from the signals on the canbus not tapping into the wiring to the lights on the van.

If you've lost the whole cluster the first place I'd be looking is the earthing.
Thanks for the advice - it helped when you said to check the earthg - I took the cluster off again to look at the wiring and spotted that the connector had a broken clip and had worked loose - problem solved - many thanks.

Have you looked at the plug on the back of the cluster? That's easy to get to and the first place I would look given that the whole lot is inoperative.
Hi - you were spot on - I had checked it and at first glance it seemed ok and didnt seem to want to push together anymore - however, when i looked at the other cluster as a comparison, it was obvious that the connector had worked loose - problem solved - thanks for your help.

No extra help regarding the cause, but you could drive around with your bike rack on and at least have some lights. Not sure how the Police would react to that though.
thanks for the idea - we had in fact been doing just that - I was in France and the police are pretty hot on that kind of stuff! I appreciate you taking the time to comment - thank you.

Glad we got it sorted, and thanks for feeding back the result for future readers too :thumbsup:

Back