Instrument cluster backlights

T6 Guru
on my Cali, T6, the lights on the dashboard turn on only when I put the low beam, with the lights position no, who knows' why ....... there is some other way to turn them on? regards

I find this really annoying too. I've H7's. The DRLs and side lights are ample to be seen with at certain light levels during the day. Yet your dash turns black unless you switch on low beam like you say @alter. Haven't managed to get round this with Carista. Don't know if VCDS can change this (dis) function either.

Mine light up when the main lights either come on automatically, or I manually switch the main lights on with the switch.
I agree it is a little annoying, and i'd prefer my dashboard to be illuminated all the time.

I agree its rather annoying but it does stop you from being the idiot who drives down the road with just his DRL's on when its pitch black outside.

on this you're right !! considered the light that make the H7, I probably would not notice the difference !! hahaha

I agree its rather annoying but it does stop you from being the idiot who drives down the road with just his DRL's on when its pitch black outside.

My colleague and I had this conversation only 2 days ago when driving to Liverpool.
It's actually shocking how many people drive just on DRLs, more so in the evening when it's getting dark. How a person can be so oblivious to their surroundings is really worrying, not to mention how on earth do they see when it does get dark and they only have their DRLs on.
Another sign of the times on modern roads.

The ones that annoy me are those who turn their side lights on specifically so they can turn on their fog lights. They’re getting into to the drivers seat and making the conscious decision to put their fogs on whatever the weather, but no headlights so they’re not looking to see better. Do they honestly think this makes them look “cool”?

They more than likely have a headlight bulb out, like thousands of cars seem to do lately!
Bring back the bobby in a car that used to pull us over for lights not working I say.

Problem is some of the drl’s are as good as head lights so people don’t notice, the other problem is a lot of manufactures, VW included, don’t have the rear lights on with drls. I have nearly been caught out a couple of times catching a car that is dark on the backend.

I confess I've been that idiot a few times. The DRLs on the Tepee are so bright, and I'd never had DRLs before. So easy to make this mistake.

... yes it 's true, the daytime running lights are very strong today, but if the dashboard is still dark, you realize you do not have the lights on !! or not ? ... well, after a few hours at the pub it can be complicated., hahaha

The problem with DRLs are that the beam is not focussed towards the ground in the same way as dipped beam is. Once it starts to get dark, they are just too bright for the oncoming traffic.

I need to double check this but I thought the dash lights only turn off when you have side lights on. I'm fairly sure they are on when only the DRLs are on (headlight switch turned off).

As folk say, I get why VW have done this. It's most likely to remind folk to switch on their headlights at low light level.

At late dawn and early dusk, theres a point you don't need headlights to see ahead. Infact they reach a point where the light level makes them completely ineffective. The DRLs are sufficient to be seen with, especially at low speed in built up areas. They produce less glare than headlights for oncoming vehicles. But its that inbetween point where you want illumination at the rear, to be seen from behind, but it's sufficiently lights enough to make headlights ineffective and not nessecary at the front.

Anyway. The world won't come to end because of it. (Mr Trump will take care of that for us). But it's just another way VW engineers :devil: have come up with instigating their customers....AAAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH.....
OCD. :mad:

Actually, yes! Full brightness when the headlight switch is off, then off when you get to sidelights and then back on again but through the dimmer at dipped/main.

Regarding DRLs producing less glare, those with VW H4 and H7 units probably fall into that category, but the ones with the LEDs certainly don't. There's a very good reason why LED DRLs are either switched off or dimmed when dipped beam is on.

.... new to me ... you say that with the light on and the lights off the dashboard is illuminated? ... mmhh, let's see what the other friends say ..

Actually, yes! Full brightness when the headlight switch is off, then off when you get to sidelights and then back on again but through the dimmer at dipped/main.

Regarding DRLs producing less glare, those with VW H4 and H7 units probably fall into that category, but the ones with the LEDs certainly don't. There's a very good reason why LED DRLs are either switched off or dimmed when dipped beam is on.

With the lights switched off, The instrument lights will dim if you go through a dark area ie a tunnel.
What is really annoying is my sat nav is set to auto brightness so if I travel down a country road it will flick between day and night if the van is shaded by trees.
Not sure that makes sense reading it back but if you have the same problem you will now what I mean.

With the lights switched off, The instrument lights will dim if you go through a dark area ie a tunnel.
What is really annoying is my sat nav is set to auto brightness so if I travel down a country road it will flick between day and night if the van is shaded by trees.
Not sure that makes sense reading it back but if you have the same problem you will now what I mean.

Why not just set it to manual - either day or night !

Hi guys

I have asked this a few time as well about blacked out dials on full grey days, in Scotland I run with side lights on a lot as it’s so dull, however dashbis dim. There is a light sensor on bottom right corner of speedo and if you have no lights on and shine a torch on sensor dials all light up.

I have read on another forum this:

Recode Instrument Lighting to be 'Always On':
Follow 'Initial Steps', above, then...
  • Click on '17-Instruments'
  • When you go into this module, it will scan for fault codes and go straight to a fault code screen. It should say 'No Fault Codes Found'. Click the 'Done, go back' button to get to the main screen for this module.
  • Click 'Recode - 07'
  • Make note of your original coding.
  • Hover over the code with the mouse pointer, and it will show a pop-up balloon with information about the various digits of the code. It may or may not explain the rightmost digit.
  • One of the digits (the one fartherest to the right) is for the instrument cluster backlighting configuration. It's originally set at '3' (for the US models). You will change it to '4' (Pointers and scales ON, with Dimming Feature). For example, change 0004203 to 0004204.
  • Change this value in 'Software Coding___'
  • Click 'Do It!'
  • Click 'Close Controller, Go Back'

Note: By doing this, you have now set both the pointers and number scales in the instrument cluster to be on at all times rather than being sensitive to ambient light with the photosensor. The reason for the factory setting is to provide a visual cue that you need to turn on your headlights. Having the instruments lit all the time defeats this. Do this mod at your own risk. FYI - the photosensor is the almost invisible circle on the speedometer face right at the high end of the scale.
However on the t6 instrument module I have this, but am frightened to change anything incase I make a mess of other settings:

AD1BD9B2-ABFF-4B5D-99DD-99A8406B83A3.jpeg

Anyone any further info or thoughts

Back