Milton Keynes Newbie - needs help with Electrics :-)

bellisr

VIP Member
I have a 2013 T5.1 - having some issues with my rear indicators.

Works fine with the hazard lights, but flashes dimly as a turn signal. The bulb warning light comes on in the instrument cluster and the cluster right turn arrow flashes at double speed.

All the other bulbs (front and side repeater) are fine.

Anyone want a set of LED indicators (the replacements from Transporter HQ are now surplus to requirements :) ) Free to anyone who can help me with my problem - they cost me £270. How's that for a newbie welcome offer?

Have a good look at the connections on the lamp to make sure they ar clean and corrosion free, likewise with the wire side.

Got any pics?

Or can you post a link to a video clip of what's going on?

Have a good look at the connections on the lamp to make sure they ar clean and corrosion free, likewise with the wire side.
Have checked both at the light cluster end. The LED's simply plug into the existing socket. Doesn't seem to be any corrosion. Plus the fact they work as hazard lights would suggest its ok (Am I assuming too much?)
Got any pics?

I'll take pics and/or video tomorrow. When it's a bit lighter.

Thanks both for your replies. Taking on a second hand, ex RAC, part converted camper does mean a few extra wires here and there (and no reliable instructions/diagrams)

I had kind of assumed that there would be a relay somewhere that controls the indicators. But opinion on the interweb and my Haynes manual suggests the flashing is controlled by the BCM module.

The LED lights have a sweep function. This works fine when the hazard lights are on - but when indicator is on - it's simply a dim flash.

Got any pics?

Apologies for the quality of the video. At the end the camera has not picked up the dimly flashing indicator on the RHS.

And another showing the front and side lights working.

How are the other lights on the rear cluster working? Any issues with tail, brake, fog or reverse?

Can you try the indicators with one rear cluster disconnected, try with each. What happens then? (For indicate and hazards)

How are the other lights on the rear cluster working? Any issues with tail, brake, fog or reverse?

Can you try the indicators with one rear cluster disconnected, try with each. What happens then? (For indicate and hazards)
All the other lights are working fine.

Have tried all combinations. Van is now at my local indie garage for further investigations. Will post outcome here.

Back