Instrument cluster backlight - headlamp related?

Nick Reed

Apologies if this has been discussed previously but as a newbee to the site i'm not sure.
My 16 plate Kombi has a problem with the dash display sometimes illuminating / sometimes not. Only happens when side/mainlights are switched off. Dealer was suitably vague...ideas?
Also, the halogen drl's sometimes work when sidelights are on, sometimes not. I don't know when they should be on????

Apologies if this has been discussed previously but as a newbee to the site i'm not sure.
My 16 plate Kombi has a problem with the dash display sometimes illuminating / sometimes not. Only happens when side/mainlights are switched off. Dealer was suitably vague...ideas?
Also, the halogen drl's sometimes work when sidelights are on, sometimes not. I don't know when they should be on????
If you just have side lights on ,the dash lights come on and off ,its to warn you you only have sides on .
Not sure about the drl

Thanks for the reply. It's only when the main switch is turned off the numbers on the rev counter/ speedo sometime illuminate, sometimes not. The dealer said to bring it in when they aren't working. That is almost impossible to achieve with an intermittent fault!

Is it linked to the ambient lighting? Are the coming on automatically if it's a bit dark outside?

No afraid not, the van isn't equipped with auto lighting. It is just the numbers on the speedo and rev counter that don't illluminate sometimes. The dealer confirmed they should be on permanently but said i needed to take it in when they're not working which is almost impossible given how random it is. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem.

Have you tried moving the dash illumination dimmer on lower right of steering wheel.
Maybe its just in a position thats causing the issue. Moving it just a tad might resolve this for you maybe?

As @Deaky above. Instrument lights have their own auto functionality of dimming. Not really related to auto driving lights. The same can be seen also on other VAG platforms.

Can be verified by having the van in the dark, turning driving lights off (0), ignition on, doors closed, etc. Illumination of speedo and rev counter will fade out in a few seconds (if even on at that point anymore). The info display in between will stay somewhat illuminated, and so readable.

Have a torch and give good light to instruments (probably more on rev counter side (on LHD)) and speedo and rev counter should light up. And starts to fade away. When driving you will see the same when entering a deep shadow like a tunnel – lighting of intruments gradually dim, and brighten up when back in bright.

There are some configuration possibilities available how lighting works, at least in DRL portion of it. The above is how mine came from factory. I think the purpose of this functionality is a kind of driving light reminder – when driving lights are switched off.

Does anyone know of vcds tweeks for t6 to get the dial lights to be constantly on, being in Scotland at this time of year it is always dull enough that dial backlights are dimmed/off but not dark enough to warrant running about with headlights on to see dials

Does anyone know of vcds tweeks for t6 to get the dial lights to be constantly on, being in Scotland at this time of year it is always dull enough that dial backlights are dimmed/off but not dark enough to warrant running about with headlights on to see dials
Not sure if this was answered elsewhere. Partial answer is to tweak adaptation channel as below to "Parking light". Then dial backlight will be on all positions except at "0"-position (see switch below). The DRL's can be coded to be on at "Parking light" position (Vcds Tweaks.), so almost there...
Dial_backlight_adapt_1a.jpg
Abblendlicht = dipped beam
Nebellicht = fog lights
upload_2018-10-29_20-37-48.png

Hi @mmi as a beginner on vcds can you give me a bit more info on where to check this possibly how to alter values

Thanks

The VCDS process would be as follows:

Ignition ON (do not start engine).

Make a backup of your van's settings using Auto-Scan

Step 1. Backup of module codings

0_vcds_main_autoscan-jpg.24919

1_auto-scan-jpg.24920

The above creates a backup of so called module codings. The result file will be in directory \Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs with a name Log-Vehicle_VIN...

Step 2. Backup of module adaptations
As module 17 contains also so called adaptations, to backup those the procedure is slightly different.
VCDS_main.JPG
Controller.JPG
17_channel_map_do.jpg

The files will be in directory \Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs with names like "adpmap-17-...", "blockmap-17-..."
The measuring values actually is not needed as backup but contains information, e.g. service intervals and other data shown on MFD. Important one is the file "adpmap-17-..." as it contains all current adaptation settings.

Step 3. The actual change is done directly into the module itself.

VCDS-main-select_a.jpg

17-select-1b.jpg

EDIT:
Please ignore the component information in the picture below. See my post further down for correct and relevant information about module revision.
17-menu_adaptations.jpg

Select the adaptation channel by opening the pull-down menu list.
17-adaptations_2a.jpg

The change takes effect immediately after clicking "Do it!" so no need to turn ignition off/on.
Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
66676688-D998-483D-9FF0-D3ECEC79A571.jpeg Hi @mmi, I finally got a chance to go into vcds and try to change this, but I got to channel and have Error: Channel not available as above?? Any ideas?

Reactions: mmi
View attachment 31721 Hi @mmi, I finally got a chance to go into vcds and try to change this, but I got to channel and have Error: Channel not available as above?? Any ideas?
Ouch... obviously another school day for me :speechless:

I see a thing - the software in yours (module 17) is (H05) 1007 (see the "Component" in your picture).

In the MY18 van where the tweak works = adaptation channel is available (as in the last screenshot) the software version is actually (H03) 1107. Also the hardware has different suffix than yours - but shouldn't be a factor.
Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:| 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb-SRI1
Part No SW: 7E0 920 870 S HW: 7E0 920 870 S
Component: KOMBI H03 1107
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So why I think this is the factor here:
Besides the above I have an adaptation map of a MY16 Transporter which has older software (H05 1008) - almost the same as yours - and just realized that indeed THE ADAPTATION CHANNEL IS NOT AVAILABLE there either. This MY16 van was thought to be identical to the MY18 van above. Just to document this case here are the same lines from this MY16 van where the tweak does not work either:
Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:| 5K0-920-xxx-17.clb-SRI1
Part No SW: 7E0 920 870 L HW: 7E0 920 870 L
Component: KOMBI H05 1008
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies but seems that the VW has changed something sometime after MY16. Makes me wonder what else has been "improved"... and where... actually the BCM (module 09) seems to have different software load...o_O

Anyways, I have been told that VW garage basically could upload a new software to any module but I can foresee some hesitance there...:sneaky::cautious:

Hi @mmi, mine is an Oct’15 Trndline PV.

Is there another way to access the dimmer logarithm, or to reprofile the way the sensor reacts by changing the sensor

Is it possible to download the firmware anywhere??

Hi @mmi, mine is an Oct’15 Trndline PV.

Is there another way to access the dimmer logarithm, or to reprofile the way the sensor reacts by changing the sensor

Is it possible to download the firmware anywhere??
Yes, also the MY16 is panel van, built Nov-15.
Unfortunately I don't know of another way in T6. In other VAG products there seems to be a way to tweak the dimming algorithm. My impression is that it won't work on T6...

EDIT: Here is a link to another forum where a VAG car is tweaked to keep dash lights on in all light switch positions ====> VCDS (VAG-COM) codes and programmable options for Golf Mk7 - Page 45
Unfortunately T6 doesn't have those adaptation channels. :(
I'm not aware of any other tool than "real" VW tools to reprogram modules, that would also give access to the firmware.

Last edited:
@mmi I was reading through this thread again and your last link to the Australian website, while accessing module 17 they talk about security access is there different codes (they use 20103) that allow access to different areas of the bcm, If so does anyone know of any other codes for the t6?

I don’t get this, if it really is dim enough to make it difficult to see the dash instruments, then surely it is dim enough to put the headlights on. If in doubt switch them on, why take the risk?

I would like the dials and needs to be on with sidelights, in scotland in winter I drive with sidelights on a lot due to it being mainly dull but not dull enough to run with headlights on, when the headlights are switched on the dials and needles then come back on and can be adjusted by dimmer switch. Even when I don’t use sidelights when it gets slightly off full daylight the dials dim automatically and are mainly off making them less obvious. I appreciate it is to warn drivers to put lights on but I think can judge that myself.
I just want to know if there is a way to active or adjust the dial backlight illumination to be on with sidelights

I would like the dials and needs to be on with sidelights, in scotland in winter I drive with sidelights on a lot due to it being mainly dull but not dull enough to run with headlights on, when the headlights are switched on the dials and needles then come back on and can be adjusted by dimmer switch. Even when I don’t use sidelights when it gets slightly off full daylight the dials dim automatically and are mainly off making them less obvious. I appreciate it is to warn drivers to put lights on but I think can judge that myself.
I just want to know if there is a way to active or adjust the dial backlight illumination to be on with sidelights
TBH, if it’s dim enough to need side lights, it’s dim enough for dipped beam.
Just sayin’

Back