Instrument cluster backlight - headlamp related?

Sidelights shouldn't even exist any more, they're only used by numpties to enable them to put their fog lights on without headlights on, because they gunuinely think this makes them look "ccol". For us that have DRLs, switching the sidelights on dims them, reducing the whole point of them. I think this is one area where VW have absolutely got it right and I hope there is no way round it. You only have to look at the number of cars you see at dusk with only the DRLs on to see what happens when people don't get prompted by this reminder

@mmi I was reading through this thread again and your last link to the Australian website, while accessing module 17 they talk about security access is there different codes (they use 20103) that allow access to different areas of the bcm, If so does anyone know of any other codes for the t6?
True, some of the adaptations are "protected" by access codes. However AFAIK all the coding and adaptation possibilities are "visible" - I have not noticed any hidden selections that would be available after accessing module using a code.

When a code is needed the VCDS (or OBDeleven) will explicitly tell you need one. Both VCDS and OBDeleven have the codes "built-in" - e.g. just press VCDS Security Access -button of the module and hover mouse on access code entry. [EDIT-correction where access code is shown]

Last edited:
Pretty sure my H4 headlight DRLs don't dim when the sidelights are turned on, in mitigation I've fitted LED lamps to the DRLs holders but turning on the sides simply adds tail lights and dashboard lights to the mix.
While I'm waffling how come just about every other current model soft roader still has it's Xmas tree DRLs/signature lighting on at the same time as the dipped beam headlights?

The sidelights only come on with the ignition on so no turning the indicator stalk left or right and leaving the sidelights that side lighted when leaving the vehicle parked at the roadside... so much for progress.

The sidelights only come on with the ignition on so no turning the indicator stalk left or right and leaving the sidelights that side lighted when leaving the vehicle parked at the roadside... so much for progress.

You can still do that mate. It's a legal requirement that they're fitted (in the UK)

Maybe a case of RTFM for me then but normally in the old days you parked up stuck the indicator stalk one way or the other and locked the car leaving one side or the other sidelights front and back lighted, my T6 just sits there in the dark like a brooding hulk wondering WTF I'm up to now.:oops:

Maybe a case of RTFM for me then but normally in the old days you parked up stuck the indicator stalk one way or the other and locked the car leaving one side or the other sidelights front and back lighted, my T6 just sits there in the dark like a brooding hulk wondering WTF I'm up to now.:oops:

Maybe your LEDs are affecting it mate.

It's definitely a legal requirement for manufacturers to fit parking lights just as it's a legal requirement for us to use them in certain situations.

Not sure if this was answered elsewhere. Partial answer is to tweak adaptation channel as below to "Parking light". Then dial backlight will be on all positions except at "0"-position (see switch below). The DRL's can be coded to be on at "Parking light" position (Vcds Tweaks.), so almost there...
View attachment 30874
Abblendlicht = dipped beam
Nebellicht = fog lights
View attachment 30877

I tried this and setting side lights to come on with terminal 15 but it would not bring on the dash lights, still needs light switch to be on.

Reactions: mmi
Back