HELP with T6.1 : Lots of errors after process of replacing headlamps

dj_

Australian Member
T6 Pro
Hi all.

I've got a T6.1 work van with the basic radio and the basic operation cluster, not the fancy stuff.

Just changed over to HIDs for the THQ T6.1 LED Headlamps (their LED bulbs aren't great). The light output is fantastic.

Anyway. Things started lighting up when I turned the engine on, thinking that the errors would go away after some driving.

But no - things haven't gone away and here's a list of what's happening:

1. Engine fan seems really loud and staying loud
2. Airconditioning isn't getting cold. It gets hot when I dial it to heat but not getting cold when I dial it to cold.
3. Error message "Front assist unavailable" (I don't even have front parking sensors)
4. Error message "Side assist and rear traffic alert unavailable"
5. Error message "Error : Park Distance Control"
6. Error message "Manoeuvre braking currently unavailable"
7. The ambient temperature doesn't seem to register anything

So I tried plugging in my Carista (only used it to enable folding of mirrors on lock) and did the diagnosis. A whole lot of errors and they aren't going away when I reset them.

I've tried removing the bumper and headlights to see if I might have left something disconnected, but to my rather untrained eyes everything seems connected.

Have I ruined some electrical sensor or pinched some sort of cable loom? I followed the THQ video and have done it twice before with no dramas. First time was to change to the THQ headlamps and LEDs. Second time was to change to HIDs. This 3rd time I rotated the bulbs upside down to get rid of the shadows.

This is the video I'm referring to -

Here are the errors below from Carista :

Basic OBD2:
P0073 (Pending) - Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Circuit High

Engine:

ABS:
00716 - Air recirculation Flap Positioning Motor (V113)
00717 - EVAP Flap Motor (V114)

Airbags:

Instrument cluster:

Heater & air conditioning:

Parking/steering assist:

Central electronics:

Adaptive cruise control:
01395 - Engine for compressor level regulation (V66)

Lane-change system:

I'm going to give VW a call tomorrow and see how soon their service guys can take a look at the van.

Thanks and I really hope someone can help me navigate through this. Hopefully it's a relatively easy fix.

Last edited:
Have you disconnected your battery while doing this job?

Reactions: mmi
Welcome to the forum @Pauljrickard, if you post the codes you have on your van and what led up to the situation it will help others help out.

@dj_ hasn't logged in for over a year so you may not get a response from them.

Welcome to the forum @Pauljrickard, if you post the codes you have on your van and what led up to the situation it will help others help out.

@dj_ hasn't logged in for over a year so you may not get a response from them.
I have a 2020 t6 with 14000 m on the clock and having the same issues as above with the exception of 4 and possibly 2 (it’s too cold in Manchester UK to see if I have this problem). It has just happened with no obvious stimuli, it was serviced in Dec 2023 and has been driven 1000 m since. The only diagnostics I have at the moment is a basic OBD2 error code P0072. Van drives OK (for now!)

Have you had any incidents of a flat battery or similar electrical issues?

You might want to start a dedicated thread, even if folks see this one as active they might not click in and read given the title is specifically about faults after changing headlamps.

I'd also suggest getting one of the VW specific code readers, the pattern of faults may indicate a common area of wiring that might have been disturbed. Carista / OBDeleven / VCDS are the popular ones in order of complexity+capability. I think the basic Carista is on offer at Amazon currently:

You might want to start a dedicated thread, even if folks see this one as active they might not click in and read given the title is specifically about faults after changing headlamps.

I'd also suggest getting one of the VW specific code readers, the pattern of faults may indicate a common area of wiring that might have been disturbed. Carista / OBDeleven / VCDS are the popular ones in order of complexity+capability. I think the basic Carista is on offer at Amazon currently:

Thanks will take your advice

Back