'Inspection Now' message

Hi,

Firstly, I have checked via the search facility, but I'm still somewhat unclear...

Van is on variable servicing. 66 plate - first service was Aug-18 @ circa 16k miles.. Currently on 24k miles, shows next service due in another 13k miles (i.e. 37k miles) or circa 9 months time.

However its showing Inspection is due now - I've just phoned VW Manchester (appreciate some say will avoid) - they want circa £170 for an inspection - I thought it was exactly that - an inspection - which seems a really expensive price for doing just that... Or have I interpreted what the Inspection is incorrectly? Previous posts state " just a couple of checks, change of pollen filter" - hence the price doesn't seem to stack...

If I don't have the inspection done and wait until the service is there any risk - i.e. is anything actual changed in the inspection. Also will the Inspection due warning eventually dissapear?

Thanks in advance.

Have a look here 》

T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

Basically 1st oil change at 12k due to new engine..

Then every 18k/24mnth ish on long life, MFD will advise on oil quality depending on driving style.

Dellmassive - I'd already checked your post out - which references Interim Service (that's what was carried out on my van after 2 years), then Full Service - which is due next in about 9 months time.

So still confused as my Inspection is due now - i.e. is it just that - looking that everything appears to be OK - in which case £170 is very steep. Or is there a little more to it to justify the price..?

Apologies if missing the obvious - previous vehicles have simply had a service schedule (i.e. Oil change etc) and never an Inspection...

Thanks

Its 12 months since your last service. @Dellmassive mentioned in his linked post that his service clock has defaulted back to 12000m or 12months before.
Is it possible that's what yours has done?...

I also do a very low annual mileage and was/am still confused by the ‘inspection’ warning.
In the end I took the decision to just have it serviced every year, the price of a mini service being almost the same as an inspection.
I know this doesn’t really answer your question but I am happier with this regime rather than extended servicing with interim inspections.

Its 12 months since your last service. @Dellmassive mentioned in his linked post that his service clock has defaulted back to 12000m or 12months before.
Is it possible that's what yours has done?...

I don't think this is the issue. I'm on variable servicing - last one done 16k miles, it's showing next one at about 36k miles so that seems about right for variable.

To me the confusion is Servicing and Inspection are different events - but what exactly in an inspection - I don't understand how this differs from a service. I assume in effect a 'healthcheck' - i.e. visual inspection that all looks OK - but again £170 for this seems very expensive.

I also do a very low annual mileage and was/am still confused by the ‘inspection’ warning.
In the end I took the decision to just have it serviced every year, the price of a mini service being almost the same as an inspection.
I know this doesn’t really answer your question but I am happier with this regime rather than extended servicing with interim inspections.

So glad I'm not the only one confused.

Funnily enough I had considered your approach. Only concern was switching from variable to fixed - major not due for another 9 months, so do I just bite bullet and have it done now - in effect 12 month on from last minor, have major now, minor another 12 months and so on...

Tempted to stick to variable, just concerned if I don't have Inspection done what the implications are...

Thanks

So glad I'm not the only one confused.

Funnily enough I had considered your approach. Only concern was switching from variable to fixed - major not due for another 9 months, so do I just bite bullet and have it done now - in effect 12 month on from last minor, have major now, minor another 12 months and so on...

Tempted to stick to variable, just concerned if I don't have Inspection done what the implications are...

Thanks
If it was me I would have a minor service now and a major this time next year, I am sure that a service history showing it’s been serviced every year can only help.

Have a look here 》

T6 Service Intervals & Inspection, Flexible & Longlife

Basically 1st oil change at 12k due to new engine..

Then every 18k/24mnth ish on long life, MFD will advise on oil quality depending on driving style.

I’m interested in knowing how MFD can advise on oil quality?
To genuinely know the oil quality an analysis is normally required; water content, viscosity, Ph, particle count etc.
Is MFD just estimating oil quality based on measured engine parameters between servicing?

I’m interested in knowing how MFD can advise on oil quality?
To genuinely know the oil quality an analysis is normally required; water content, viscosity, Ph, particle count etc.
Is MFD just estimating oil quality based on measured engine parameters between servicing?

I’m not completely sure about VW diesels but the truck diesels from the daughter brands (MAN & Scania) use engine hours and distance to determine average speeds and then make some assumptions that the higher the average speed the lower the load/stress on the engine and thus determine oil drains according to a matrix based around this.

The on board system assumes that the engine is filled with a specific oil type, it won’t measure oil quality, although it may further reduce intervals if high oil temperatures are regularly seen as temperature will affect the life of an oil, again as determined by an inbuilt matrix.

I would be very surprised if VW don’t use a very similar method.

I’m not completely sure about VW diesels but the truck diesels from the daughter brands (MAN & Scania) use engine hours and distance to determine average speeds and then make some assumptions that the higher the average speed the lower the load/stress on the engine and thus determine oil drains according to a matrix based around this.

The on board system assumes that the engine is filled with a specific oil type, it won’t measure oil quality, although it may further reduce intervals if high oil temperatures are regularly seen as temperature will affect the life of an oil, again as determined by an inbuilt matrix.

I would be very surprised if VW don’t use a very similar method.

There are quite a few applications which constantly monitor oil quality (condition monitoring) whether it be the oil filter differential pressure against oil temperature / RPM, fuel dilution or the contaminant particle count. The one thing they all have in common is they protect equipment with significant downtime and repair costs.
As much as we love our vans I don’t imagine VW would absorb the cost, I believe their main focus is on selling a new van 10 years down the line.
They may however use a simple estimate as you mention with the trucks.

Hi,

Firstly, I have checked via the search facility, but I'm still somewhat unclear...

Van is on variable servicing. 66 plate - first service was Aug-18 @ circa 16k miles.. Currently on 24k miles, shows next service due in another 13k miles (i.e. 37k miles) or circa 9 months time.

However its showing Inspection is due now - I've just phoned VW Manchester (appreciate some say will avoid) - they want circa £170 for an inspection - I thought it was exactly that - an inspection - which seems a really expensive price for doing just that... Or have I interpreted what the Inspection is incorrectly? Previous posts state " just a couple of checks, change of pollen filter" - hence the price doesn't seem to stack...

If I don't have the inspection done and wait until the service is there any risk - i.e. is anything actual changed in the inspection. Also will the Inspection due warning eventually dissapear?

Thanks in advance.
Spookily I have a 66 plate with just short of 24k miles. The inspection thing came up on the MFD and had it done today. Didn’t occur to me to question it. Had it done at Hawco Inverness who were going to charge me £62 but discounted it £10 because I had to wait an hour longer than promised. Quite a long list of stuff they went through including oil level check, software update, headlight alignment check blah blah. Not sure I really needed it but seemed a reasonable price for the work

The van is having its annual service on 17th February, but the ‘inspection message’ in the mfd says that it is due in 15 days. Is this a problem? Does this mean the van may go into ‘limp mode’ if the countdown expires before it is serviced? Or can this be changed / deleted somewhere in the mfd menu? Or am I just over thinking this and it is simply an info message....any advice appreciated! Thanks, Andy

The van is having its annual service on 17th February, but the ‘inspection message’ in the mfd says that it is due in 15 days. Is this a problem? Does this mean the van may go into ‘limp mode’ if the countdown expires before it is serviced? Or can this be changed / deleted somewhere in the mfd menu? Or am I just over thinking this and it is simply an info message....any advice appreciated! Thanks, Andy
Smarter people than me will come along shortly but I think nothing will happen other than a warning popping up on your display. Just remember to tell them about it on the service so they can clear it down and reset the counter.

Bit of a thread resurrection here. I've done @1200 miles since buying my 17 plate t6 Kombi 150 from a main dealer and it's just come up as oil service due in 300 miles. I'm a bit hacked off that the dealer didn't sort his before I bought it but also surprised that my first warning was at 300 miles - my A3 shows a warning at 1000 miles which gives you a bit more time to sort it out - the fix above is tempting but if the oil does need changing then I need to sort it

Hi all,

Looking for some knowledge before I phone local VW centre, hopefully someone can help.

I've received the 'Inspection Now' message during the Christmas break and wondering what it refers too, perhaps a Service notification or fault. My van is a 2018 (Feb) 102 Highline so almost 3yrs and currently only 12,500 miles. Can anyone confirm what the alert refers too?

Thanks,

Back