Import tax from Germany??

Sign man

Hi, can someone help please.
If l buy a set of wheels of Ebay from Germany will l have an import duty/tax to pay. I have heard differing opinions. Thanks.

Don’t know..but I’ve brought some fogs lights for the wife’s car ..from AutoDoc £100 cheaper than in UK so taking a gamble ..see what happens :(

Hi, can someone help please.
If l buy a set of wheels of Ebay from Germany will l have an import duty/tax to pay. I have heard differing opinions. Thanks.
Probably yes. Over £135 I believe you have to pay the Vat unless they are registered for UK Vat.

They should sell to you vat free, then you will pay uk vat on entry, the carrier will then charge an admin free for collecting the vat.

That should save on fees, I was talking general buying, I missed the Fleabay bit.

You may have to pay 4% Customs Duty as well, another Brexit bonus:

Doesn't say anything about being new or used - I would imagine it is the same for both, just the starting value is less?

If it is an individual business, and not a marketplace such as Amazon or Ebay, then VAT and Customs Duty is paid by you on entry to the UK, unless the seller is UK VAT registered and has quoted you the cost + UK VAT + customs and courier costs upfront.

You may have to pay 4% Customs Duty as well, another Brexit bonus:

Doesn't say anything about being new or used - I would imagine it is the same for both, just the starting value is less?

If it is an individual business, and not a marketplace such as Amazon or Ebay, then VAT and Customs Duty is paid by you on entry to the UK, unless the seller is UK VAT registered and has quoted you the cost + UK VAT + customs and courier costs upfront.
Yeah, cheers Dave, next time you have a good idea....

Yeah, cheers Dave, next time you have a good idea....
....and your mate Teresa who thought it would be an even better idea to sign Article 50 and THEN call an election!

Reactions: DXX
Ps....#2.. AutoDoc ( via post office) have delivered the fog light from Germany took 12 days..but no additional costs...they may have covered there costs as we paid £30 more than before ..However at £101 it’s better than the quote from the Honda dealer at £200
I guess it’s where you buy from and that the so called paperwork is correct..
The fog will rise and one day become clear :rolleyes:

At work we import and export to the EU and worldwide. Without a doubt there has been some collusion between the EU and the UK. You pay VAT at the time of purchase and 80% of our shipments either way attract further vat and duties. Both governments win from this arrangement, customers lose out.

In addition outgoing consignments (sent with ParcelFarce) now takes 4 weeks instead of 4 days to the EU even to addresses in Benelux

Reactions: DXX
Back