Ignition Live capacity

Petegoss

T6 Pro
How many components can I safely power from one ignition live feed?

Currently I have tapped into my radio ignition live with a 5A fuse
This then goes to a small fuse board/block whigh is then distributed as the ignition live for:

300W roof light bar
2x 54W rear light bar
2x Heated seats

Is there any limit to the number of extras I can run from this one switched live? Obviously the fuse may blow at some point I assume but is this setup ok?

Reactions: CRB
How many components can I safely power from one ignition live feed?

Currently I have tapped into my radio ignition live with a 5A fuse
This then goes to a small fuse board/block whigh is then distributed as the ignition live for:

300W roof light bar
2x 54W rear light bar
2x Heated seats

Is there any limit to the number of extras I can run from this one switched live? Obviously the fuse may blow at some point I assume but is this setup ok?
Good information on most 12v electrical matters here.

Ah yes of course, forgot to mention that simple fact.
Yes just using the ignition live to switch the relays
I assume I can keep adding as much as I like until the current exceeds 5A when every item is switched on?

I’m happy with my wire gauge and fuses, just wandering if this is how I should have connected the ignition live - from the radio to run so many more devices

Good information on most 12v electrical matters here.

Thanks for the link, I’m happy with my fuses and wire gauge
Just really wandering how every one else uses an ignition live, I’ve just got one from the radio and split it to 3 other relays to switch them

Ignition would be preferable but if only feeding relays you shouldn't have an issue.

If you measure the resistance across the coils on the relays, you will be able to calculate the maximum amount of relays you can operate on a 5A protected feed.

Assuming all relays are the same.

Personally, if I was going to do something like this, I’d use a single ignition live feed to switch a relay that provided a larger permanent live feed to a relay/fuse board with individual switches for each consumer.

That way the ignition live feed is only used to turn on one relay.

Thanks for the link, I’m happy with my fuses and wire gauge
Just really wandering how every one else uses an ignition live, I’ve just got one from the radio and split it to 3 other relays to switch them
It sounds ok but personally I would take the ignition live feed from an empty slot in the middle of the dash fusebox under the gear stick rather than tapping off the radio. You can use a piggyback fuse holder which makes it very simple and it will also help to isolate faults in future without impacting your radio.

There are a few "Busbars'" in the SC fusebox that are fed with various rated master fuses that are all IGN fed. (there isnt just one master IGN feed)

you can see these when you take the SC fusebox out . . . and look at the back. You can the get new additional fuse pins and insert them into the fuse block to "add" more circuits.

: https://www.t6forum.com/threads/guide-barn-door-reversing-camera-retrofit-how-i-done-it.13731/

1613986462798.png1613986473817.png

so you could feed some of those circuits safely . . . see the downloads section below.

but for your application i would run all that kit through a new separate fuse box that was fed from the main battery/AUX battery via a IGN switched relay.

keep all your new kit separate from the OEM setup.

i would got for this type of thing . .

1613986623993.png

1613986647634.png

1613986696070.png

fed via 30A/40A/50A/80A relay (whatever Amps you NEED, then double it - that will stop the relay getting HOT when you are pulling the Amps that you NEED, ie +50% headroom)

1613986846263.png

Dellmassive`s -- "how I Done It" -- Thread
Kit List And Stuff -- How I Done It & What I Use --
VIP Membership | VW T6 Forum - The Dedicated VW Transporter T6 Forum
For Sale - Summer-weekend-t6f Limited Edition External Stickers
For Sale - T6F Flags

Last edited:
If you measure the resistance across the coils on the relays, you will be able to calculate the maximum amount of relays you can operate on a 5A protected feed.

Assuming all relays are the same.

Personally, if I was going to do something like this, I’d use a single ignition live feed to switch a relay that provided a larger permanent live feed to a relay/fuse board with individual switches for each consumer.

That way the ignition live feed is only used to turn on one relay.

Hi Yes that is pretty much what I've done though the relay is only 40A so i've got my heated seats 2x 7.5A and light bar 25A totalling 40A on that relay, then the sitched live splits and goes to my rear spot light bar on another relay, in hindsight I could have used a larger initial relay but I had a couple smaller ones already.

I've used similar gear to what you've posted so thank you too

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for the replies, I think what I’ve done sounds about right but could be tidied up a bit using some of the gear suggested, I’ve ordered an 80A relay for a start!

Back