Starter battery draining when on EHU

R5chrisp

Hi everyone,
Newbie to the forum and first time owning a T6 camper van.
We decided try the van out for the first time at the weekend and found that the starter battery was going flat over night when on hook up (absolutely fine when parked for days off EHU).

Checking over the CTEK charger I found that the installers had wired the smart alternator fly lead to the positive of the leisure battery and the piggy back fuse for ignition feed was wired to the positive out terminal of the CTEK charger and blowing the fuse when the van is switched off?

I’m right in thinking that this was keeping the vans fuse board live.

Following instructions on YouTube installation this was clearly wrong so I have now rectified and awaiting testing.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this before?
Kind regards

Which CTEK charger do you have?

Do you have any pictures of the install?

CTEK D250SE.
Van is currently on EHU outside testing to see if starter battery drains flat again after repair

The only way EHU would affect the CTEK / 12volt side of things would be if you had a mains battery charger connected to one of the batteries. If your installer can’t wire in the CTEK properly I’d check everything and maybe make a wiring diagram and post it on here for a sanity check

What type of leisure battery do you have?

And what charger on the EHU side?

From your description I can see why the CTEK might have stayed on and drained the starter a long way until it's cutout, but I'd expect that to have happened all the time not just when on EHU...

Ok so tested the EHU overnight and all okay. No flat battery this morning and both batteries fully charged.
Now the issue I have is that when the van is first started the EC50 control board is flickering on and off intermittently with a beep.
This stopped after ten mins of driving.
Tried to get a video but it stopped by the time I could pull over to film it.

I’m running a Sargent EC155 / EC50

Pictures of the install where folks can see the wiring and batteries will give them a chance of helping, or a sketch of a wiring diagram as @jimc91 suggests.

Difficult to get access of setup without removing the drivers seat at work.
Spoke with Sargent and they think it is an over charge warning indicator as the leisure battery is reading 15.02v occasionally.
CTEK said 15.02v is normal for smart alternator system in colder weather to protect the battery.

Slightly warmer here now and tested the vehicle again from cold. No issues at all at 15.01 15-.02v.
Battery test and alternator test all Okay on Midtronics tester.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Kind regards

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_5016.jpeg

Back